How about the ponds on the Expressway

Q
qwapaw
I have seen a few nice bass come out of the north pond on the expressway where you get on Belt Line. I have not caught much there as my legs are bad and I don't get through the brush much. I did take my Grandson to the Maxwell exit on the expressway and parked and fished the south side of the exit and we caught Blue Gill, Cat Fish and Carp. I am sure there are bass in there, but I can't seem to tell if I have a bite using rubber worms so I have not had any luck. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have fished any of these ponds? They are real close to everyone, and there ia enough parking area for several rigs. Please let me know, Dan (qwapaw)

D
Drice
Im pretty sure you are talking about the delta ponds from what it sounds like.

F
Finneus Polebender
Drice said:
Im pretty sure you are talking about the delta ponds from what it sounds like.

think hes speakin of the two in the round on /off ramps from beltline to the northwest expressway fished them as a kid only caught bluegill catfish kno the pond off maxwell has bass We call that one kelley pond

D
Drice
OH! ok I know where your talkin now. I guess Ive never paid much attention to those I need to be more diligent on my quest for fish. My bad, sorry for the mislead.

Q
qwapaw
Yes, now that you mention it I believe one is called the Kelly Pond. The Small one by the Belltline West Ramp does have bass in it I know guys that catch them. I just can't fish it with my bad legs. The one on the other side I have only caught Blue Gills in it. There are just a lot of Pot Holes around Eugene, We all live close to some. I will keep trying as the Ponds on the expressway are close to where I live and never crowded. I fished the Delta ponds 40 years ago. They have gotten much better sence then. Thanks, Dan

T
tnffishman
yeah, delta ponds sure have improved over the years

F
Finneus Polebender
tnffishman said:
yeah, delta ponds sure have improved over the years

wow I love delta but most ive talked to complain that its nothing like it used to be. I still say there are some 10 lb bass hidin in these ponds and im hell bent ta prove it. Figure if i keep tryin I might get lucky. My personal best came out of kelly pond just under 8 lbs. thats why i know Delta is holdin some pigs they are 10 times the size of kelly pond with plenty o food.

T
tonedef89
Is Kelley pond the one right off NW Expressway on the right at Maxwell or the one behind B&R auto wrecking? I drove by these today and couldn't figure out which one you guys were talking about. Also are these on private property and how's the bank access? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

F
Finneus Polebender
tonedef89 said:
Is Kelley pond the one right off NW Expressway on the right at Maxwell or the one behind B&R auto wrecking? I drove by these today and couldn't figure out which one you guys were talking about. Also are these on private property and how's the bank access? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Kelly pond is the one right on the expressway places to pull off on maxwell connecter.bank fishin available w/some hiklin. we call the one behind B&R dead kitty pond well cause there was a dead cat floatin in it one time when we fished it. That pond can be acesses from a road that doubles back under the overpass bass in it too Never hurts to look but no private property issues at least the last time i went to them.

J
jayfatal
for what it's worth, about 15 years ago, I used to take buckets of bass that I caught at a private pond, where I fish(ed) a lot, and used to dump them into the pond on the south side of Beltline. I once dumped a 4 pounder in there with about 10 more of at least 12 inches or better, over the course of 2 weekends. This was a long time ago, but if they stayed healthy, and continued to spawn, there should still be fish in there. I drive by those ponds at least twice every day, and can't recall the last time I saw anybody fishing in either of those ponds. May be worth a try sometime.

Q
qwapaw
If you turn onto the Maxwell exit and park on the right you can get to the pond right there. Only 10 yard off the road. As I said with my Grandson and useing night crawlers we caught catfish, carp and blue gills last summer. He is not patient enough to only get 1 bite per hour so we fish for fish, who cares what as we C&R only anyway. It is a kick to have a place less than 5 minutes from home to wet a line. Best of luck, maybe I'll run into some of you down ther this year, Qwapaw, ORCA Oregon (Old Reel Collectors Association)

Q
qwapaw
The Kelly Pond has access from the Maxwell rd exit from the Expressway. I park on the right and the pond is about 5-10 yard from the road. No fence to climb or anythiing. Fun to take the Grandson too, I have not been ther to fish seriously by myself yet, but may run into you guys there. I can get in and out real easy with my goofy legs so I go there with the kids. Best of luck, Dan U

T
TTFishon
I used to fish Kelly's Pond a lot when I was a kid. I remember when the water was clear before the carp muddied it up. I have some fond memories of that pond.

F
Finneus Polebender
TTFishon said:
I used to fish Kelly's Pond a lot when I was a kid. I remember when the water was clear before the carp muddied it up. I have some fond memories of that pond.

It was our playground down the street good part of my young life spent on and around that pond. we had a blast down there although most of the kids used the place as the local dirt bike track./ target shootin range back then the union pacific switch yard bustled so we would have to tip toe through the transients to get to our fishin holes. that was part of the adventure avoiding the hung over bums. The pond was clear then with a large population of bluegill/bass conditions have changed seems to be a stubborn fishery maybe I just hit some bad days but not what it used to be in the wonder years

T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
It was our playground down the street good part of my young life spent on and around that pond. we had a blast down there although most of the kids used the place as the local dirt bike track./ target shootin range back then the union pacific switch yard bustled so we would have to tip toe through the transients to get to our fishin holes. that was part of the adventure avoiding the hung over bums. The pond was clear then with a large population of bluegill/bass conditions have changed seems to be a stubborn fishery maybe I just hit some bad days but not what it used to be in the wonder years

We probably lived in the same neighborhood. My brother used to ride his dirt bike there all the time. I lived on Alderwood St. We used to play football in what is now a parking lot in front of Colen Kelly Junior High.
Anyway, I heard there are still some big crappie in there down at the end where the ditch comes in.

W
WVBass
About two years ago I was fishing the little pond on the south side of Beltline on Northwest Expressway and caught a 14-15" bass. It was probably a good 1.5# to 2# but thats the only one I ever caught. I did also catch some mud cat out there on worms at dusk.