How about a "Nook" watch

Q
qwapaw
Let's keep everyone posted on where the Chinook are on the coastal rivers. Here are 2 reports I got this morning from Friends. Siuslaw River, Pretty Good Blue Back fishing, but no "Nooks" Yet. Winchester Bay, and friends Dad and Brother caught a Chinook in the town of Reedsport last week end. It's always good to know if there are fish in the river. Thanks, Dan U :pray:

K
Kodiak
Ok..I got the next one...Friend of mine picked up a nook in the jaws of the alsea last week..jet diver and eggs

Over a dozen nooks brought in to Coyote Rock on the slietz, largest one so far 40 lbs.

I know of two nooks from the glass house hole, 1 +2 jacks from hwy 101 and 1 from the barn hole on the last pumper tides we had on the Salmon river.

J
JeannaJigs
I have word that a buddy of mine had one on this morning on the 'Slaw...

I think he's full of it, honestly, but who knows, maybe he did. 'Tis the season...Almost.

Just checked the regs and they closed Lake creek to 'nooks this year...again...So bank fishing is going to be super limited...again. Yay.

O
Outdrsmn
i know they are doing well down in gold beach on the rogue.

Castign spinners for coho at the mouth of winchester bay is HOT right now.

Q
qwapaw
What kind of spinners do they throw at Winchester Bay. Also how bad is the walking out to there. I have limited leg motion, but can do OK if I go slow and don't carry much so I can catch myself. I have always wanted to try this spot. Any help would be good. Barb, I have heard of a few Cutts in The Siuslaw now. Thanks, Dan

O
Outdrsmn
i am not sure what the lures are called but they are nice bright colored spinners with like a hoochie tail. but i am sure big blue foxes and stuff like that would work as well. I have seen them catch coho off the pier there. But then you have to walk back to the beach to land it. It is easy walking but a long walk to land it. The jetties are a little tougher going over rock and such.

Q
qwapaw
Thanks Outdrsmn, It sounds fun to me. Also Barb, I meant to say the "Noon" Follow the Sea Run Cutts pretty close in the Siuslaw. Dan

K
Kodiak
Outdrsmn said:
i am not sure what the lures are called but they are nice bright colored spinners with like a hoochie tail. but i am sure big blue foxes and stuff like that would work as well. I have seen them catch coho off the pier there. But then you have to walk back to the beach to land it. It is easy walking but a long walk to land it. The jetties are a little tougher going over rock and such.

Here's a fun little tip for fishing off of piers...take a crab pot (not trap)..play the fish well then slide the fish into the trap like a net and haul them up..works for fish up to about 25-30 lbs.

F
fishin_fool
that is an awesome Idea wish I'd thought of it.

M
Mike123
I think there's Nooks and Ho's in all coastal rivers (tidewater and below) right now. I witnessed two biggg fish jump, WAY up at the top of tidewater yesterday. This was past saltwater part too. water was 69deg.. too warm for good fishing!

K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
I think there's Nooks and Ho's in all coastal rivers (tidewater and below) right now. I witnessed two biggg fish jump, WAY up at the top of tidewater yesterday. This was past saltwater part too. water was 69deg.. too warm for good fishing!

Chinook in tide water in August?..ya whatever...:lol:..I think Odorks are gonna choke on the number of fish comming back...all those nooks in Alaska didn't go up thier rivers, and they gotta go someplace:D:D:D Start pestering ODFW now and before the seasons over we might get to keep a couple more fish.

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
Chinook in tide water in August?..ya whatever...:lol:..I think Odorks are gonna choke on the number of fish comming back...all those nooks in Alaska didn't go up thier rivers, and they gotta go someplace:D:D:D Start pestering ODFW now and before the seasons over we might get to keep a couple more fish.

We need a good week or two of RAIN! COLD RAIN! To get the rivers up and COOLED off! :dance: 70 deg water ain't really the best for fishing.

K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
We need a good week or two of RAIN! COLD RAIN! To get the rivers up and COOLED off! :dance: 70 deg water ain't really the best for fishing.

NO WAY!!! The Chinook will stack below the 70 deg thermalcline. The last two years between snow melt and early rains the chinook have shot into the rivers completely hosing the tidewater fishery. If the river is 69 deg you will have chinook trying to blow into the river and try to spawn. Keep your rain to yourself!:lol: Lets keep them tiding for a while so the numbers of fish at one shot coming in are higher and we will all do better! We'll talk rain in two more like three weeks.

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
NO WAY!!! The Chinook will stack below the 70 deg thermalcline. The last two years between snow melt and early rains the chinook have shot into the rivers completely hosing the tidewater fishery. If the river is 69 deg you will have chinook trying to blow into the river and try to spawn. Keep your rain to yourself!:lol: Lets keep them tiding for a while so the numbers of fish at one shot coming in are higher and we will all do better! We'll talk rain in two more like three weeks.

You find a lot of biters in 70deg water? :think:

W
wormosa
Mike123 said:
We need a good week or two of RAIN! COLD RAIN! To get the rivers up and COOLED off! :dance: 70 deg water ain't really the best for fishing.[/QUOTE

in the siletz i found temps in the low 60's, i know the best temps are in the higher 50's, i am just trying to tell what i found...

K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
You find a lot of biters in 70deg water? :think:

Key to that Mike was BELOW the 70 deg. thermalcline. The fish will follow that up river. Chinook will go as far upriver as they can before they hit it..and move a little above it then drop back to cool off. And yes, every year we ding fish when the water is that warm..just not on bait.

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
Key to that Mike was BELOW the 70 deg. thermalcline. The fish will follow that up river. Chinook will go as far upriver as they can before they hit it..and move a little above it then drop back to cool off. And yes, every year we ding fish when the water is that warm..just not on bait.

I better get out there then!

Q
qwapaw
It's suppose to rain this weekend. Maybe not a bunch, but will help at least bring the cutts in more. I need the Nooks to start coming next week to have them where I want to fish them in 3 weeks. I can fish lower, just not as much fun out in the open. Anybody able to tell me how far ahead I can Brine my Herring and have them still be good? Thanks, Dan

B
Bfishin
qwapaw said:
It's suppose to rain this weekend. Maybe not a bunch, but will help at least bring the cutts in more. I need the Nooks to start coming next week to have them where I want to fish them in 3 weeks. I can fish lower, just not as much fun out in the open. Anybody able to tell me how far ahead I can Brine my Herring and have them still be good? Thanks, Dan

I was wondering the same thing. I'll be going to Winchester Bay this weekend to troll for some Nooks. I was also wondering how you go about re-freezing them after you brine them.

B
Bfishin
Hey guys I'm just bumping the thread up to see if I can get a bite on qwapa's question. I'll be brining these Herring very soon, so any info for a newb is much appreciated. I have the recipe I'm going to use. I was just wondering about re-freezing. Also I was going to brine them whole before cutting them. :)Thanks