How abnormal is this?

F
FishFinger
I zipped over to have a look see at Ochoco Res to size up oppertunities for a early spring adventure. Much to my surprise the res is only @42% full. The launch dock is high and dry as are the residential docks along the shore.

Is this normal for early March?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Please tell me it isn't as bad as Lake Shasta...
ught-pictures-are-scary-and-its-only-getting-worse.jpg

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
It's a wee bit unusual. Ochoco doesn't have as much water flow coming into it as Prineville or Billy Cchinook. When winter precipitation is low up in the Ochoco Mountians it really hits the reservior hard. Have you had the chance to make it to Walton Lake yet? It's a small reservior and great for pontoon boats, it up past Ochoco. http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/destea.html This site has the water levels for most of the reserviors in the area.

F
FishFinger
Haven't been to Walton lake yet, looks inviting tho.

Haystack looks potentially promising.....

Irishrover
Irishrover
Haystack is a good bet during the spring. I used to fish over on the north side where the water comes in, and around over to the east side. I'd cast wooly buggers toward the bank and work them back to the boat. If the wind picks up just like anywhere else, I'd call it a day. One time I remember being out there in my 9' pontoon boat fighting the wind, that was not fun. The water get shallow along the banks on the rest of the place. In the summer the water temps climb up, and the water is more of a mud color. The good thing is that when the other lakes are snowed in Haystack is usually open. Simtustus is also a good place to check out. I understand it is going to be open year round now. They have a good selection of fish there Bows, Browns Kokes, and steelhead. If you have any questions about Simtustus let me know. For a person with a boat it is a fantastic fishery.

R
rainORsnow1
Irishrover said:
Haystack is a good bet during the spring. I used to fish over on the north side where the water comes in, and around over to the east side. I'd cast wooly buggers toward the bank and work them back to the boat. If the wind picks up just like anywhere else, I'd call it a day. One time I remember being out there in my 9' pontoon boat fighting the wind, that was not fun. The water get shallow along the banks on the rest of the place. In the summer the water temps climb up, and the water is more of a mud color. The good thing is that when the other lakes are snowed in Haystack is usually open. Simtustus is also a good place to check out. I understand it is going to be open year round now. They have a good selection of fish there Bows, Browns Kokes, and steelhead. If you have any questions about Simtustus let me know. For a person with a boat it is a fantastic fishery.

Just a little FYI, sismustus kokes are all but gone. You may find some. But from all that I've seen they aren't being found. Apparently they fixed the hole in the dam where they were escaping LBC in anticipation for the states reintroduction of sockeye. Hence why LBC has a 16" limit on kokes now.:frown-new:

Irishrover
Irishrover
I read that post wrong, not unusual for me. I thought you meant the kokes had to be 16" to keep, but it's just the oposite if they are 16" or longer then they are sockey salmon and have to be released. Now I get it. I've never been luck enough to land a koke that big. Now that you are required to relase them I'm all but guarantied to catch a few.

Last edited:
R
rainORsnow1
Irishrover said:
I read that post wrong, not unusual for me. I thought you meant the kokes ahd to be 16" to keep, but it's just the oposite if they are 16" or longer then they are sockey salmon and have to be released. Now I get it. I've never been luck enough to land a koke that big. Now that you are required to relase them I'm all but guarantied to catch a few.

That's funny, exactly what I was thinking. Wouldn't you know it too, from the reports I've seen this year the fish are averaging 12-13" and healthy. Wouldn't that figure, the fish start getting bigger...

Sorry for the hijack:)

M
mikeee2362
Raincatcher said:
Please tell me is isn't as bad as Lake Shasta...

OOOO nice man made reef!!

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
Please tell me is isn't as bad as Lake Shasta...

So that's where my stolen RX-7 ended up! :yikes:

F
Fishermen Jim
S
sunsalem
Shouldn't someone from the appropriate agency get in there and remove stuff like that?

It's a hazard to boaters and an eater of massive amounts of fishing tackle.

B
bagold53
sunsalem said:
It's a hazard to boaters and an eater of massive amounts of fishing tackle.

Great time to go get some free tackle and maybe take a metal detector and see what other goodies can be had.

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
This is extremely low for this time of year . This is normally the time I start fishing in my 14 foot aluminum boat . Crook county has filed for emergency drought relief . I may have to consider hunting for lost lures, boat motors, my Shimano reel handle and other such stuff rather than fish this year there. It was the best and closest lake to me to fish in ( 25 miles ) and I will miss it this year .

S
sunsalem
bagold53 said:
Great time to go get some free tackle and maybe take a metal detector and see what other goodies can be had.
Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I want to be up to my rearend in mud.:yikes:

C
cpeaslee
I am glad to see Prineville reservoir is at 92%. Looks like Ochoco is at 52%.

S
Steelheadreams
Raincatcher said:
Please tell me it isn't as bad as Lake Shasta...
wow