House Bill 2632

B

beaverfan

Defines “hatchery produced” for purposes of provisions related to salmon and trout enhancement program. Provides that fish habitat improvement projects may be designed only for benefit of native fish.

Prohibits State Fish and Wildlife Commission from establishing bag limits, size restrictions or closed seasons for species of fish that are not native fish.
Prohibits state agencies from enhancing, protecting or introducing into waters of this state fish that is not native fish.

M

metalfisher76

I read some of it. Sounds a lil better, lil late. What I still don`t get is the indigenous to Oregon part? Shouldn`t they be indigenous to the particular watershed itself?

B

bigsteel

i think I like the habitat for native fish only oart but other then than it stinks.no limits on fish is horrible

B

Bad Tuna

Lift all limits does little good, but I'm all for it. Bluegill, catfish, crappie etc already have no limits. I think the key would be to mandate that all warmwater fish such as bass are retained or killed. Most bass fishermen won't keep them otherwise.

T

Throbbit _Shane

Lift all limits does little good, but I'm all for it. Bluegill, catfish, crappie etc already have no limits. I think the key would be to mandate that all warmwater fish such as bass are retained or killed. Most bass fishermen won't keep them otherwise.

thats sounds like a awful idea...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wall: :wall:

J

joesnuffy

WTF?
Do they write these things so that they are hard to understand on purpose? (I'm guessing yes)
Are they going to produce a list of fish that can be slaughtered? :(
Native to Oregon but not a specific watershed is ok?
WTF?

J

joesnuffy

Ok, but why?

Think of the Mid-Columbia and the "prize walleye" that come out of there. They are now fair game to wipe out? (i think they were introduced, somebody please verify)

What about those pike minnows that have a bounty on them.... are they now going to be protected? They are Native fish.[/

T

Throbbit _Shane

Ok, but why?

Bass arnt stocked by ODFW. Thats why.

If u happen to catch one and keep it thats fine. But to say every bass needs to die, is absurd imo...

Go catch a big bass and im sure your stance will change.

B

Bad Tuna

Yes, the walleye are an introduced species. I know most walleye fishermen release the big females anyway, do you really think lifting the limit would wipe out the fishery or just keep them in check? Compared to many other fisheries, walleye don't seem to be fished that hard. Squawfish could still have a bounty on them as I understand it. There is no limit on crappie or catfish in Brownlee, and those fisheries grow bigger every year.

B

Bad Tuna

Bass arnt stocked by ODFW. Thats why.

If u happen to catch one and keep it thats fine. But to say every bass needs to die, is absurd imo...

Go catch a big bass and im sure your stance will change.

Just for the record, catfish walleye,and crappie are my favorite fish to eat, and I catch more tuna than salmon or steelhead, so I'm not a steelhead snob.

Bass ARE stocked in a few lakes by ODFW. Most bass have been illegally introduced, and compete with the native fish. The actions of a few have destroyed it for many. Crane Prarie, Davis are prime examples.
I've caught many big bass, grew up on a private bass/panfish lake.

T

Throbbit _Shane

Just for the record, catfish walleye,and crappie are my favorite fish to eat, and I catch more tuna than salmon or steelhead, so I'm not a steelhead snob.

Bass ARE stocked in a few lakes by ODFW. Most bass have been illegally introduced, and compete with the native fish. The actions of a few have destroyed it for many. Crane Prarie, Davis are prime examples.
I've caught many big bass, grew up on a private bass/panfish lake.

Iv personally never fished Crane Prarie or Davis Lakes. But i have recently seen a video of trout fishing from Crane from last year, and the rainbows looked really fat and healthy.

I guess i shouldnt of said bass arnt stocked by odfw. because i just remembered the past couple years they've been relocating thousands of LMB from Hyatt Lake and stocking them in a couple lakes around here. But u can't compare those bass stockings to the trout stockings done. Hyatt is overpopulated by stunted sized bass, so if you go and keep your limit, good for you. I think they should raise the limit there for bass under 12inches.

J

joesnuffy

There is no limit on crappie or catfish in Brownlee, and those fisheries grow bigger every year.

Catfish harvests each year are in small numbers. there may be lots of them not lot a ton of fishman chasing them. Crappie breed like rabbits and you need to harvest as many as possible before they take over a body of water.

B

beaverfan

I'm not saying I support this thing by any means. I don't like the way it's written at all but the purpose of it all is to lower spending. The whole point of it is to prevent ODFW from using their resources to protect non-native species.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
I wonder if this one will make it all the way through the process. There are a lot of introduced species in this state....Atlantic Salmon, shad, brook trout, brown trout, lake trout, walleye, bass, and more.

B

Bad Tuna

If you read the bill, it only applies to bodies of water where anadromous fish reside or historically did. So Paulina/East lake are safe etc. Walleye and small mouth bass in the Columbia however, would have limits lifted.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
This must be the section of the bill you are refering to. Thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering about those Atlantic salmon up at Hosmer lake. Seems they will be OK

"(22) May not establish bag limits, size restrictions,
closed seasons or closed areas for a particular species of fish
that is not native fish, as that term is defined in ORS
496.430. +"

"The amendments to ORS 496.146 by section 3 of this 2011 Act
apply to waters of this state that contain or that historically
contained populations of anadromous fish."

A

Armando Garcia

I agree with Bad Tuna, Kill all non-native fish with no limits, even hatchery fish! All non-native fish either compete or feed on our native runs in one way or another. So then with all this indiscriminate kill and eating of non-natives, we would leave all natives off limits C&R only. Continue stocking hatchery fish, and the rate that warm water fish breed. There would be fun all year round for every one.

Top Bottom