Hot water heater question

T
TTFishon
One of the pipes is leaking right at the connection where the copper pipe connects to the iron pipe. I looked it up online and know what I need to do. My question is....is there anything I need to be cautious about or anything to watch out for? This is a first time fix for me.
 
R
RunWithSasquatch
Have a picture to post? Its a solder fitting to npt?
 
Troutski
Troutski
Lefty lucy, righty tighty....best advice I can give. Not much of a fixit guy...more of a VISA guy.

Chuck
 
T
TTFishon
RunWithSasquatch said:
Have a picture to post? Its a solder fitting to npt?

I have to head to work now. I'll post some pics tomorrow in the morning. It doesn't look like I'll be doing any soldering. There's a nut at the end of the copper pipe that screwws into the iron pipe. According to the website I found on google I need to use a plumbers union to keep electrolysis from occurring. Anyway, I gotta get to work.
 
M
Markcanby
If the Copper is teh flared Flex end an the iron pipe is teh one stubbed up out of the water heater it should be very simple. Just get a new flexy copper turn the power an change it out.
 
M
Markcanby
TTFishon said:
. According to the website I found on google I need to use a plumbers union to keep electrolysis from occurring. Anyway, I gotta get to work.

The Copper Flex should not need anything. I installed water heaters for 2 years an never put a union in. There is a rubber seal between the IPS an CPS so electrolysis is not an problem. The gasket has just gotten old an started leaking.
 
T
Thuggin4Life
Sounds like it could be a quick fix with some plumbers tape. post some pics.
 
troutdude
troutdude
I'm confused. Why do so many peeps use heaters to make hot water. Don't most of us heat cold water? So, why are they called hot water heaters vs. cold water heaters? Hmmm...

Good luck w/ your fixit job. If worse comes to worse, just "borrow" Chuck's Visa when he ain't lookin!
 
T
TTFishon
Markcanby said:
The Copper Flex should not need anything. I installed water heaters for 2 years an never put a union in. There is a rubber seal between the IPS an CPS so electrolysis is not an problem. The gasket has just gotten old an started leaking.

Yep, that's what the lady at Home Depot said too.
 
T
TTFishon
Markcanby said:
If the Copper is teh flared Flex end an the iron pipe is teh one stubbed up out of the water heater it should be very simple. Just get a new flexy copper turn the power an change it out.

Do I need to turn the power off of just the main water or both?
 
H
Hawk
TTFishon said:
Do I need to turn the power off of just the main water or both?

Turn the power OFF
Close the water valve/s

Is this an electric hot water heater?
 
T
TTFishon
Hawk said:
Turn the power OFF
Close the water valve/s

Is this an electric hot water heater?

Yes, it's electric.
 
H
Hawk
TTFishon said:
Yes, it's electric.

They usually have a reset button that sometimes trips off.

I've had an electric without any problems, i guess about five lustrums.

Best of Luck to you Bro.
 
T
TTFishon
Thanks Hawk and the rest of you guys for the replies. I'm glad I posted this.
Happy Holidays!
 

Similar threads

D
  • Diamond Lake Charlie
  • OFF Topic
Replies
5
Views
339
Diamond Lake Charlie
D
R
Replies
10
Views
1K
Grant22
Grant22
H
Replies
3
Views
613
bass
bass
yearofthescud
Replies
14
Views
887
Troutski
Troutski
T
Replies
2
Views
594
cchinook
C
Top Bottom