Hot water heater question

T

TTFishon

One of the pipes is leaking right at the connection where the copper pipe connects to the iron pipe. I looked it up online and know what I need to do. My question is....is there anything I need to be cautious about or anything to watch out for? This is a first time fix for me.

Troutski

Troutski

Lefty lucy, righty tighty....best advice I can give. Not much of a fixit guy...more of a VISA guy.

Chuck

T

TTFishon

Have a picture to post? Its a solder fitting to npt?

I have to head to work now. I'll post some pics tomorrow in the morning. It doesn't look like I'll be doing any soldering. There's a nut at the end of the copper pipe that screwws into the iron pipe. According to the website I found on google I need to use a plumbers union to keep electrolysis from occurring. Anyway, I gotta get to work.

M

Markcanby

If the Copper is teh flared Flex end an the iron pipe is teh one stubbed up out of the water heater it should be very simple. Just get a new flexy copper turn the power an change it out.

M

Markcanby

. According to the website I found on google I need to use a plumbers union to keep electrolysis from occurring. Anyway, I gotta get to work.

The Copper Flex should not need anything. I installed water heaters for 2 years an never put a union in. There is a rubber seal between the IPS an CPS so electrolysis is not an problem. The gasket has just gotten old an started leaking.

T

Thuggin4Life

Sounds like it could be a quick fix with some plumbers tape. post some pics.

troutdude

troutdude

I'm confused. Why do so many peeps use heaters to make hot water. Don't most of us heat cold water? So, why are they called hot water heaters vs. cold water heaters? Hmmm...

Good luck w/ your fixit job. If worse comes to worse, just "borrow" Chuck's Visa when he ain't lookin!

T

TTFishon

The Copper Flex should not need anything. I installed water heaters for 2 years an never put a union in. There is a rubber seal between the IPS an CPS so electrolysis is not an problem. The gasket has just gotten old an started leaking.

Yep, that's what the lady at Home Depot said too.

T

TTFishon

If the Copper is teh flared Flex end an the iron pipe is teh one stubbed up out of the water heater it should be very simple. Just get a new flexy copper turn the power an change it out.

Do I need to turn the power off of just the main water or both?

T

TTFishon

Thanks Hawk and the rest of you guys for the replies. I'm glad I posted this.
Happy Holidays!

Top Bottom