Hot fish!

S
SoiledWaders
thundercleez said:
I peg the bead on a leader about three fingers length above the hook. 18" leader. Tied to a swivel. 30" section of heavier test than the leader tied next. BB shot right above the swivel. This whole thing goes under your typical fixed float or sliding float set up.

Thanks man, appreciate the info.

S
SoiledWaders
thundercleez said:
I peg the bead on a leader about three fingers length above the hook. 18" leader. Tied to a swivel. 30" section of heavier test than the leader tied next. BB shot right above the swivel. This whole thing goes under your typical fixed float or sliding float set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man, much appreciated.

T
thundercleez
No problemo.

T
thundercleez
You can fish them all sorts of ways though. That's the setup I was using that day. I also will bobber dog them, drift them, or use em as a trailer behind a yarnie or jig

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Why the 3 finger spacing above the hook?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

T
thundercleez
Got it off a steelhead stalkers video I think. The idea is steelhead have a pretty big mouth. You want that fish to bite the bead and hold on. If it feels a hook it will spit it quick. Also it seems to lead to more hook sets right in the corner of the mouth where you want it.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Ok, thanks

T
thundercleez
Yea man

C
CastingCall
Hooked Up Try this; set-up #1 put the bead next to the hook-eye;set-up #2 put the bead 1"-2" above the hook-eye, Now set a cardboard box on the floor bucket style,drop the leader in, let 10' of line out of set up #1, lay the tip of your rod below the top of the cardboard box. Now set the hook! The bead should hit the edge of the box and the hook will not set. Now do the same with set-up #2 the bead will come over the edge fall towards the ground and the hook will set in the edge of the box, wa-la HOOK-UP. In real life on set-up #2 you will pop the bead out of the fishes mouth,the jaws will slam shut. WA-LA hook set Hope this explains it. GL Tony

T
thundercleez
Perfect.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Thanks Tony, makes perfect sense!

Artwo
Artwo
I know others have responded to your question, but the main reason for the bead being set 2 inches (3 fingers) above the hook is to reduce mortality on native fish. When fishing with a bead, since they are small baits, they can be swallowed quite easily resulting in hooking the fish in the throat/gill area resulting in most cases a dead fish. With the bead above the hook, as others have said, the fish keys in on the bead resulting in a side of mouth hook up almost every time.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Hadn't considered that Artwo, certainly don't want to hurt any nates. Lots of good info.

P
pinstriper
I would think that Hans doesn't get people patronizing him with baby-talk explanations and advice, until someone posts a picture of a fish bigger than the 20# beast he hauled in.

For the time being, until someone knocks him OFF the hill, he's the resident expert and we should be asking HIM for advice, not the other way around !

So, Hans, tell us what knot you would use to tie a mono leader to your braid mainline ?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
LOL Mark! Thanks for the support. I'm far from the expert.
I'll take credit for keeping the fish on the hook. Give Tanner a bump for saying "cast in that seam". Bead info was something I'd heard about didn't fully understand why to slide up.
Albright knot, though am going to check out Chris' recommended fg knot.