Willamette River Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
imHOOKED
imHOOKED
Hit up the the Willamette today to target cats . Found a muddy back channel and started out drowning some worms and was right off the bat hooking into yellow bullheads one after the other pretty small in size . Ended up hooking into a northern pikeminnow and cut him up for some cut bait . Ended up catching this decent kitty on the cut bait all and all a great day out .

• 3C96CE13-11E9-499A-ABFF-143CEAEC0D1A.jpeg
  • 659C59DC-F939-472C-97E3-F0CC8E0187D3.jpeg
Reactions: Admin
bass
bass
Nice! I think channel cats are so pretty. Bullhead just have a good personality :)

bass
bass
I hit the upper Willamette out of Willamette park in West Linn (10th street) on Thursday and had a fantastic day on the water. I got to the ramp by 5am and was fishing shortly thereafter. It was breezy right out of the gate with the wind out of the South and pretty dang cold for a July morning. I started out throwing a topwater (Sammy) and I was getting a ton of bites but with the chop on the water I was having a hard time hooking up.

The fish I did land early were mostly all dinks and that may have been part of the problem. I would occasionally put down the topwater and make a few casts with a swimbait or a crankbait but I quickly set those rods down and picked the topwater back up. It is hard to put down the topwater when they are smacking it so good even if the hook up rate was poor.

I worked my way along the hump that runs down the middle of the river and it was clear that the bass were traveling in wolf packs. No hits for a while and then all of a sudden I would get bites on every cast for a few minutes. They were mostly dinks but I would occasionally get a nicer fish thrown into the mix:

50072676836_8c44d5415e_b.jpg

Eventually I was up close to one of my favorite points in the river and I worked it over with the topwater but I only missed a few fish. Since I love that spot I went back over it with the little swimbait and that turned out to be a good call. I picked up 4 bass off that spot including this nice one:

50072677601_6207b613e9_b.jpg

I went back out to the hump with the swmbait but after grabbing moss on a couple of casts I switched back to the topwater and they were still all over it. The topwater bite lasted until about noon and was best for me later in the morning. The breeze backed off a bit and the hits started turning into fish more often than not. I still missed my fair share including one maniac that jumped clear out of the water twice trying to eat it. It was probably the best topwater bite of my life. I have never had so many fish bite the topwater for such a long period of time. I even caught a good-sized pikieminnow which I know a lot of folks hate but I still think that they are an interesting bycatch.

Here is one of the nicer topwater fish:

50072927257_439be239f4_b.jpg

Around noon the skies cleared a bit, the wind died down and the topwater bite slowed down. To be honest I am not sure if the bite slowed or if I just had finally moved myself up to less productive water. In any case I decided to take a break for a while, give my aching shoulders a well-deserved rest, and to try to upgrade my fishfinder on the water. Garmin units have an app on the fishfinder called Active Captain and a matching app for the phone. It took two tries but I was able to download the update to my phone, then transfer it to the FF and upgrade it. Overall it was pretty cool to get that to work.

After that I decided to push up river further than I usually do to explore and map out the river there. There is just so much cool and interesting structure with tons of steep drops and deep water rock piles. In the morning I was fishing in 5-10' of water so it was kind of fun try a little deep water drop shot fishing. I spent the next hour or two going along the edges of steep drops. I would dust off the adjacent flat with my swimbait and then drop shot in the deeper parts.

The day had turned calm and mostly sunny and I caught drop shot fish in 15', 20' and 30' of water. I just could not find a place where there were not fish that wanted to bite. It was just a crazy day. I ended up catching my best fish of the day (1lb 15oz) on the swimbait on a shallow flat right next to a steep drop.

50072115078_e5c7ac9058_b.jpg

To be honest by the time the afternoon rolled around I was kind of burnt our on catching fish. I spent more time mapping than fishing but that is an important job as well. The built-in maps are not horrible but they are missing tons of small humps and the locations of the drops are often off. I really love going back and forth and remapping everything with the quickdraw contours. It always pays dividends later!

After a while I decided it was time to head home. I pedaled some and just drifted some. The wind had picked back up a bit and was now out of the North. As I made my way back I decided to fish and map a point on the river that I had never fished before. It was sunny and bright and the fish were all over that point, once again in 5-10' of water, and just aggressive as could be. I was throwing the swimbait and they were hammering it. It is about as easy as fishing can get. Cast and retrieve, nothing fancy.

I ended up with 51 bass and if I had fished hard all day I am sure I could have easily surpassed 70. No big fish for the day but I would guess I had about 12 to 15 bass in the 1.5 to 2lb range. Surprisingly, the morning bite was the worst. The fish were almost all dinks and I was having a hard time hooking up. The bite picked up in both numbers and size as the day wore on. The sun coming out in the afternoon seemed only to make them bite even better. They were still biting like crazy when I left. Both my shoulders were hurting like a toothache and I just could not reel in another fish. That is not a bad problem to have!

Here is a video from the day. My daughter got me a GoPro Hero 8 for father's day and this was a great way to break it in! I also changed how I mount my camera and I think I like it a little better. At some point when I changed the batteries I shifted the angle a little (I don't like that quite as much) so I will have to be careful in the future.

Of course no day ever goes perfectly. I have some nice footage of losing a nice fish at the kayak near the end of the video :)

Reactions: fromthelogo, troutdude and Admin
fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Thanks for the report @bass. Its terrible when you catch so many fish that your shoulders are sore! Thursday, I fished out of Cedar Oak for about an hour. Caught three, all on a swimbait. No luck with a tube or Senko. We have to remember days like these to offset the ones when we get skunked. Happy 4th to all.

bass
bass
Thanks @fromthelogo.

It is always fun when the fish stay active on top of the humps all day long. Usually that bite dies off mid-morning and I spend a majority of the day drop-shotting or throwing a Ned rig. That type of slow deliberate fishing is fun in its own way but there is nothing like a crazy topwater bite or hard hit on a moving bait to get the blood pumping.

Aervax
Aervax
Great report. Enjoyed it like was there in person.

bass
bass
I fished the lower Willamette river out of George Rogers park on Sunday the 12th of July. It was almost a great day but I was able to avoid that by consistently snatching defeat from the jaws of victory :( We have all had those kinds of days where you almost make the great catch. I guess the fish gods decided it was my time.

The day basically broke down into 3 segments. The early morning topwater bite was good but a bit erratic. When I was around a school of bass they would relentlessly attack my Sammy but unless I saw them busting in an area I had very few bites just casting around. Usually the bass are spread in that area and fan casting works pretty well, but not on Sunday.

The first time I was able to successfully prevent the day from being great was during the morning topwater bite. I saw some fish breaking a hundred yards or so from me. By the time I got there they had stopped pushing bait but I decided to cast anyways. It was like the whole school was attacking my topwater. I hooked what felt like a good fish. It turned out to be 2 good fish!! I had them right at the kayak when the bigger on pulled off. Dang. The one I landed was my best of the day.

50112558592_c741cc66b6_b.jpg

You can see the double just as I lose one of them around the 7:37 mark of the video linked at the end.

Once the topwater bite slowed I started throwing a jerk bait (KVD jerkbait) and they were all over that for a few hours. It seemed they would not hit the surface but that they would hit the jerkbait a couple feet down. A lot of these fish were along steep banks and bluff walls where there was some hidden collapse so that there was a small point under the water. Some of the fish were shallower and on top of the point and some were over 20-30' of water. I never figured out exactly where the fish were but by moving my casts around I caught them.

This pattern accounted for a second lost double of the day for me. On one cast I saw what looked to be at least 20 bass of varying sizes following my jerkbait. Some of the fish were pretty big. Two of the smaller ones attacked it at the same time and I had my second double on for the day. I tried to rush them in just to land them but again, one of the fish pulled off near the kayak. Dang a second time.

Once the jerkbait bite started to slow I switched to fishing a drop shot in 15-30' of water around various drop offs, humps, rocky flats and ledges. The bite was good on the drop shot the rest of the day. I occasionally threw a Ned rig but with the wind, current and boat wake chop it was a lot easier to maintain contact with the drop shot. Most all of these fish were dinky in size but they still fight hard on a medium light spinning rod. I was using a Z Man Trick Shotz in green pumpkin. I don't think that the bait was particularly critical but the Z Man baits last the longest by far. I can usually catch 15 or more bass before I have to replace the bait.

The third and final snatching of victory from the jaws of defeat came while fishing the drop shot. I hooked a good fish and I was fighting it to the surface. I saw a flash down deep and it did not look like a bass. I got it to just below the surface when the hook just pulled out. I watched a 2-3lb walleye bolt back to the depths. That would have been the first walleye I had every caught in the Willamette proper (I have caught them in the Multnomah channel).

You can see the walleye just as I lose it around the 21:21 mark of the video. Make sure you watch it in HD or the walleye is just a blur.

I ended the day with 45 bass but there were a lot more dinks than the week before. I will change some things up before I fish there again in an attempt to catch some better quality fish.

Here is the video for the day. It is kind of long and repetitious but you can see the beginning is mostly topwater fish, then jerkbait fish, then drop shot fish (with the occasional change up).

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Thanks for the report @bass. What time did the top water bite die down? I love those ZMan baits for dropshotting.

Admin
Admin
The quality of video is just amazing.

Reactions: playhooky
bass
bass
fromthelogo said:
Thanks for the report @bass. What time did the top water bite die down? I love those ZMan baits for dropshotting.

You are welcome @fromthelogo

I think the topwater bite lasted until about 7:30 on that day. Of course it depends a lot on the wind and cloud cover (the week before it lasted until about noon). The sun came out briefly around them and they stopped busting bait so I moved spots. After 15 minutes it clouded back up and I have no idea if the topwater bite picked back up in that original spot.

The spot I switched to was shaded and I was getting lots of bites and misses on topwater but they were all tiny. When I switched to the jerkbait in that spot I started catching fish.

bass
bass
Admin said:
The quality of video is just amazing.

Thanks! My daughter got me a new Go Pro Hero 8 for father's day and I am really impressed with the improvement in quality compared to the cheap off-brand camera I had been using.

G
Gulfstream
As usual, great report! I love the topwater bite.Got some great action in the San Joaquin delta on big stripers when I live in Cali

Casting Call
Casting Call
Nice going, John. Tony

R
reid
George Rogers is one of my favorite spots to fish around Portland. It's great from the banks near the abandoned cement building on the water, but I've had even more success fishing from a kayak. Plenty of smallmouth, but I've lost probably $50 worth of lures there...

Reactions: bass
bass
bass
I had one of my best days ever on the upper Willamette on the 17th of July. It was the mix of numbers, quality and bonus fish that made the day so special.

I met up with a guy from another forum who had recently moved to the PNW from San Diego. We launched out of 10th street in West Linn.

Conditions were interesting since they were installing the flashboards a the falls and the river had risen a foot overnight. For those of you who are unaware every summer PGE installs flashboards at the summer about this time of year. The flashboards create a mini-dam that is 3' high and the water level in the upper river all they way past Newberg raises by about 3'. This was the first time fishing while the river was rising and I had some concerns about how the rising water would affect the bass and whether they would be hard to find.

I got there before him and started fishing fairly close to the ramp while waiting for him to show up. For what ended up being an epic day it started out quite slowly. The river was glass smooth and I anticipated an off the chart topwater bite. While I did catch a few fish on the Sammy (stick bait) I missed way more than I caught. Usually when it is calm the hookup rate is pretty good on that lure but not on Sunday.

After my friend got there we moved up river a bit and I put down the topwater and started switching between a jerkbait (KVD 200 series) and a small swimbait (3" white on a 1/4oz jig head). Those lures both produced well and I started picking up fish more regularly. The great thing of it was that the while there were dinks mixed in there were plenty of quality fish:

50124543967_5e44794fb2_b.jpg

The previous week in the lower river I caught mostly dinks but on Sunday there were a lot of nice quality fish. In that clear water you would often see other bass with the one you had hooked. I love seeing that. I was doing great and the guy I was fishing with was doing great as well. We were fishing a big hump/flat in the middle of the river and the bass seemed like they were roving in schools everywhere. We had quite a few doubles during the day!

As I worked near the edge of the hump I made a cast out towards deeper water. As I brought the swimbait back to the hump. I felt a couple of thumps. I was not sure if they were weeds or bass but then there was a solid takedown and I had a really good fish on. It made a couple of really big jumps (you can see them in slow motion on the video at the end) and fought like a demon. When I got it close I saw another similar sized bass with it trying to steal the lure. Nothing warms my heart more than greedy bass :) I finally landed it and it weighed in at 3lb 1oz which is a really nice summer smallmouth!!

50123751783_3e33f0c0b4_b.jpg

I kept fishing and switching between the swimbait and jerkbait and they kept producing well. You would cast for a bit with no bites and then run into a flurry of action. We just kept slowly working our way up the hump and finding pod after pod of hungry bass. One kind of cool thing that happened was that on one cast with the jerkbait I had a hard hit and the fish almost immediately launched itself from the water. After another great fight I got it to the side of the kayak and it was a pikieminnow!

I think that is the first time I have had a pikieminnow jump clean out of the water. It fought as hard as a smallmouth all the way to the kayak (instead of the usual hard hit then giving up). I think it secretly wants to be a smallmouth :)

After a bit the breeze picked up a little and I decided to try topwater again. Instead of throwing the Sammy I put on a whopper plopper. That ended up being a winning decision. The bass were loving that whopper plopper and eating it really well. I was now hooking up with almost every bite and the bites were plentiful.

We fished the middle hump but also hit some points along the shoreline. They all held fish. Tragedy did strike briefly for me though. I cast the plopper out and bounced it off of a hard spot and the prop part broke free from the sleeve that holds it in place. I had the magic lure and now it was worthless. It was a really deflating moment.

I went back to the Sammy, jerkbait and swimbait and caught fish but not quite as fast nor as fun as with the plopper. Finally I decided to tie on a smaller whopper plopper. I bought 2 of those a long time ago, fished them once and never used them much after that. They don't come to the surface immediately (I need to raise my rod straight overhead to get them up) and are generally a pain to fish. This was another one of those really good decision. While it was more work and hurt my bad shoulders they were chomping that thing at least as well as the bigger plopper.

From that point on I mostly fished by tossing the plopper and then picking up the Ned rig when I marked a fish under the kayak. It was just such a fun day of fishing. Catch fish on the plopper. See a fish on the sonar, drop down and catch that one. A great combination of topwater and video game fishing. It just does not get more fun than that for me.

I marked some fish in the trough at the upstream end of one of the humps we were fishing and made a short cast with the Ned rig. I felt a fish pick it up and I could immediately tell that this fish had some shoulders. This fish stayed down and took drag. I would pull it up a little and then it would take the line back. After a couple of minutes of back and forth I was surprised to see a fat old channel cat on my line!

50124324656_6982fb43d2_b.jpg

The rest of the day continued with the same patterns. Mostly throwing the plopper and Ned rig. Occasionally, I would throw the swimbait or jerkbait and even caught one a crankbait and a couple on a drop shot. As the cloud cover diminished during the day the wind grew and that seemed to make the bass bite even better (even though kayak control became a lot harder).

I had worked my way pretty far upstream by early afternoon and tried to cast beyond a rock that was sticking up out of the river. I accidentally cast over it and as I started to reel I immediately had a good sized bass grab my lure with my line being overtop of this rock. I set the hook and the rock cut the line. The fish jumped a couple of times (trying to get rid of the lure) and it looked like he threw the lure onto the shore. I spent about 15 minutes looking but I could not find it. Maybe the lure flying onto shore was my imagination.

At that point I decided it was time to head back . By now the wind was stiff and the river had whitecaps and small waves that would break over my bow as I headed into them. I still stopped when I marked fish to fish the Ned rig and the fish continued to cooperate. All day long there were plenty of quality fish even in the rough water. Here are a handful of pictures.

50124544782_ea3f3bc7cf_b.jpg

50124322376_e9f6a69d73_b.jpg

50124323001_e748030b2c_b.jpg

50124323906_6545327402_b.jpg

This one had such a cool golden color:
50124324271_94f76570c2_b.jpg

This guy was choking on a fish but still hit my plopper:
50123755068_982c8a7e64_b.jpg

Another nice chunk from late in the day:
50123755543_8312ffebd7_b.jpg

Here is some video of the day (it is long):

If you just want to jump to the 3lber:

If you want to see the jumping pikieminnow (holy leaping pikieminnows batman):

If you want to see the catfish:

It is hard to imagine a better day on the water!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aervax, fromthelogo and Admin
fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Thanks for the report. Those are some really pretty fish. I'm glad you had a great day. My kids are home this week so I'm hoping on getting out on Wednesday/Thursday. Which Garmin model do you have and how do you like it?

bass
bass
Thanks @fromthelogo. The fishing was better than I had imagined it could be. That is always a nice surprise. I took pictures of some of the fish but I quickly got tired of it. That is about the best fishing problem to have :)

I have a Garmin Echomap Ultra 106SV. I use it with a Garmin GT50-TM transducer. I love that unit. I had an Echomap 73SV chirp before that and it was getting hard for my eyes to read the screen from my seat in the kayak. The 106SV has an amazing screen. Easy to read in the sunlight and so crisp. In the video you can see how I usually run it. I have SV across the entire top half of the screen and I split the bottom between 2D and maps. I always have my Quickdraw recording and I have personal maps of everywhere I fish.

I also bought a heading sensor. GPS shows you the direction the sonar is using buy not the direction the boat is pointed. I used that heading sensor along with the maps to make sure I am always lined up exactly how I want to be on each piece of structure. Often the wind is drifting me side ways a little bit. The GPS points in that direction but the heading sensor (electronic compass) shows which way I am facing. I like that I can also tell if I am drifting backwards, or sideways or whichever way by comparing the two arrows.

If you are thinking about buying a new Garmin I recommend doing the following:

Find the one you want and go to the Garmin forum at bassboatcentral

(http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=204)

Post what you are looking for and you will get a price much lower than the list price. Lots of dealers on that site and the will PM with prices. I saved a ton of money on my Garmin 106SV doing that.

You can also look in the for sale forum at bassboatcentral. I bough my GT-50TM transducer in the box for about 40% of the new price (from someone well respected, not shady). I assume it was someone who ordered and then cancelled.

I assume that the other brands forums on bbcboards.net also have the same kind of thing going on. Retailers can't advertise lower than the list price but they can see for whatever price they want to.

Reactions: fromthelogo
fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Thanks @bass. That is really great information. My Hummingbirds are 16 years old and even when new were on the low end of their line. About all they are good for is depth and water temp.

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
We launched out of Cedar Oak around 8:00 and fished north for about 3 hours. Conditions were perfect at about 65-70 degrees and overcast. We caught four in the 1-2 pound range on soft plastic swimbaits and ten in the 1-2 pound range using Ned rigs using a ZMan HogZ. The ramp and parking lot were busy both when we were launching with kayaks and paddleboarders. Water temp was 74.

bass
bass
I fished out of Roger's landing for the first time this year. The flashboards are in now and the river has been raised about 3' from earlier in the season. I prefer fishing this section after the flashboards are in place since the current is less and some rocky spots have a little more water on them.

I am always amazed at how different this section of the river is compared to 10th street or the lower river. The bottom is mostly soft with tons of trees on the bottom (here and there) and just a few rocky spots heading downstream from the ramp. The river is far more featureless than the lower in the river. Upstream from the island I think it gets rocky again but that is not where I went.

There are some amazing structures around that area to be sure. A couple of spots where there are these huge rocky structures that stick straight up 20 to 30' off the bottom. They are big flats on top (relatively smooth) and sheer walls along the edges. I always think I should catch a million fish off of those but I never manage to scratch out more than a fish or two.

The other thing that is strange about that area is that there is relatively little surface activity. Around 10th street and in the lower river fishing are chasing bait all morning and the topwater bite can last into the afternoon on a cloudy day like Friday. I did not catch a single topwater fish, I did not have a single topwater hit!

I did see a group of bass chasing bait one time and I was able to pull up on them and toss the swimbait that was on the rod in my hand and catch one. I am sure I could have caught those fish on a topwater but I did not want to take the time to switch rods. Other than that it was mostly crickets on the surface other than the occasional splash of a small fish. The strange thing is that there are a ton of eagles and ospreys in that stretch. I would guess that meant fish were near the surface but if they were they did not like me.

I know the above sounds kind of negative but really it is just a different fishing experience. I ended up with 46 bass (44 smallmouth and two small largemouth) with a nice smattering of pound and half fish throughout the day. The thing that is so different is how the fish behave.

There are fish on the rocky structures, but those structures are relatively rare compared to elsewhere. I am sure they get fished pretty hard and while I did have success on them it was hard to catch many fish on active baits. I caught a handful of fish on my usual 3" white swimbait, a half dozen on a hot lips express crankbait (dives to about 12'), one fish on a 1.5 squarebill, one fish on a jerkbait and the rest were split between a Ned rig and drop shot.

Most of the fish I caught were in 18-30' of water around some type of cover. A lot of fish came off of soft bottoms around sunken trees in deep water. This is not what I would normally consider smallmouth water but they seem to use it in that stretch. I also caught fish on a couple of small rocky outcrops and structures. The fish bit well there but I covered those areas a couple of times and then moved on.

Once again, this was a cloudy day with some wind. Fish would have been active and on top in the other sections that I fish but the Newberg fish seem to have a thing for deeper water. They bit well in that deeper water but it is a lot more tedious fishing a drop shot compared to fishing an active bait. I did go back to the topwater and shallower running active baits throughout the day but the fish just did not want to come up and hit them. I think the reason is that in that section there is not much water in 5-10'. In most places the rocky structures are small and drop off into 15-30' of water. Just very different than around 10th street.

Overall it was a pretty good day out on the water. The wind made kayak control a little difficult (especially for deep water fishing) but I was able to manage just fine. It was cool that I caught 2 small largemouth. Biggest excitement of the day was the 5 seconds when I hooked a huge fish. It just buried my rod and as I applied pressure the line just popped. It broke about 1/2 way up my fluorocarbon leader. I must have nicked it at some point and not noticed. You can see it at about the 28 minute mark in the video below.

Here are a couple of fish from the day:

50156040027_66d97dda59_b.jpg

50156041417_a873a74de9_b.jpg
50155250593_2b3321984e_b.jpg

50156042232_de950425cc_b.jpg

50155253008_fc66216d50_b.jpg

Here is a link to a video of the day:

Last edited:
Reactions: PhoFish, fromthelogo, troutdude and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom