Hospital hole - Tillamook

G
GDBrown
Has anyone heard if the fish are up to the HH in Tillamook yet? I have had some of my best luck there in the last several years. Does anyone of you OFFers fish there? I caught my first Oregon Salmon there on my birthday a few years ago and try to go back each year. Usually the first or second weekend in October.

:cool:Would love to meet a fellow OFFer there for a day in the pasture! :cool:

L
luv2fish
thats when the time usually is or better like 3rd or 4th week...i've a feeling it will be later this year....

G
GDBrown
Let me know! I'll meet you there.

L
luv2fish
for sure.....

J
JSpencer
I will most likely be there nearly every weekend in October as soon as my buddy gets back from his Elk hunt. I dont know how to get to that hole yet, but i hear him ranting and raving about it. Heard a few horror stories about that place too.

J
JSpencer
I actually gotta ask...one of the horror stories a friend at work told me about about this place.

He said he watched a guy hook a nice salmon, yelled fish on, and people around him started pulling up to give him room to fight. Another guy told him he had 5 minutes to land it or he was cutting his line. After 10 minutes he actually went and cut it. (Got the beat down for it, but still did it).

This kinda stuff actually happen there?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That would be soooo bad...

That would be soooo bad...

I've heard of it,but never witnessed it happening. I would think it is only when the truly moronic,in-bred,rednecked idiots are allowed out on a day pass. :( :rolleyes: :lol: Otherwise,there's less chance of it happening than there is of me getting a nook all the way home....:confused:

G
GDBrown
There are some locals and long time users of the pasture who feel privleged enough that they just might do that. I have fished near some scandinavian guys who are always in the same place with their poles in holders drinking wine all day long. But they are friendly and do catch fish!!! I'm usually there while the Civil war Game in on between the Ducks and the Beavs.

GD

I don't take the fly rod there for sure.

J
JSpencer
Oh boy...im not so sure i want to go there then...lol

A
Airs98
Where is that HH anyway? :)

P
plucas
Wow, great link. Thanks for posting. I am going to be on the coast all weekend and will give bobber fishing a whirl. I was going to strictly spin fish as I have never fished in tidewater before but that site really helps. Thanks again:)

Fishing with a 6 ft rapala rod medium weight and a pretty small shimano 1000 spinning reel. Not really suited to that style of fishing but will try anyway.

G
GDBrown
Careful you can hook into chinooks weighing from 30 to 50 lbs. while bobber fishing at the Hospital Hole. I use 50 lb. leader on my egg hooks while bobber fishing. Had about a thirty pounder chew through my thirty pound leader a few years ago! That was disappointing after fighting him for fifteen minutes.

GD

P
plucas
Wow. I think I would either break my rod or kill me reel if I hook one that big. I have 15 lb braid on right now so I'm sure my rod would go before the line snapped. Guess I will bring my trout rod and fly rod just in case! Just started fly fishing though and dont have a lot of confidence. I think I will spend some time casting her on the beach if the winds are calm. Any suggestions for the cape lookout area? I have no boat but would like to fish the mouths of some rivers if at all possible.

G
GDBrown
Not the Beach!!!!!

Not the Beach!!!!!

"Just started fly fishing though and dont have a lot of confidence. I think I will spend some time casting her on the beach if the winds are calm. Any suggestions for the cape lookout area? I have no boat but would like to fish the mouths of some rivers if at all possible."

Please stay off the beach with your fly line. The sand is like sandpaper, very abrasive, and will damage the coating on the line which is what makes it float. Instead find a grass field like a football or baseball field. :pray:You want to keep that floating line as clean as possible!!:pray:

Football field are nice because you can use the yard markers to tell how far you are able to cast.

GD