Hosmer Lake

F
fisherwilly
So we (my girlfriend and I) started the day off with breaking a tip section of one of my bamboo rods:mad:. We were trying to seperate the tip from the middle section from a previous fishing outing using a technique from Lefty Kreh involving two people. Anyways it was a production rod my uncle gave me to fish hard because it was an inexpensive rod and I have another tip while I fix this one.

Next my girlfriend made fruit smoothies with BANANAS. I said oh well we never catch fish at Hosmer. If you have never been to Hosmer I would highly recommend the ability to see very large brookies and Atlantic Salmon in crystal clear water. It is flyfishing ONLY with barbless flies. It says no center pin reels and fly line only and all Atlantic salmon must be released. Usually I just bring my flyrod to practice casting because the fish would never take any of my OFFerings.

So we make our way to channel and see tons of fish and then decide to fish a section with a bit of current in the channel. I see larger size brook (probably around 4-5 pounds) actually EAT my fly. I set the hook and watch it dive to the water lillies and break me off. I was so stoked to actually hook a fish in Hosmer. I ended up hooking another 10" atlantic and he slipped the hook. Then my girlfriend (after watching me fish and the fish feeding) hooks and lands an atlantic and a 15" fat brookie. She had multiple more fish on that slipped the hook. Like usual she out fished me. We kept the brook, because I love eating non-native char. I will post pics later. Even with the broken rod it was a great day at Hosmer. It seemed like the fish were really aggressive and somebody out kayaking even commented that she had never seen a fish caught at the lake and she kayaks there all the time.
Fisherwilly

B
bigsteel
nice catch there,,,,,,,,,,,,looks like a great day to be out there

T
Throbbit _Shane
nice job at getttin into some fish! Thats a real nice brookie!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish! Sounds like you had a blast!

troutdude
troutdude
A great day on the water. Glad to see that you had some fun and hooked into some feesh!

O
OnTheFly
Don't suppose you would disclose the fly patterns that worked would you?:pray:

C
cwsmith
catch any east coast fish out there?

F
fisherwilly
OnTheFly said:
Don't suppose you would disclose the fly patterns that worked would you?:pray:

My girlfriend caught her fish on a copper john with green wire instead of copper probably like a size 16(she tied it herself). I hooked and lost my fish on a scud like pattern I made with caddis crystal dubbing in a green color probably like size 14.

Fisherwilly

F
fisherwilly
cwsmith said:
catch any east coast fish out there?

Yeah it is a crazy lake with both fish native to the east coast. Some kayakers came by and didn't believe us that my girlfriend caught an atlantic salmon. I told them to read the 3 signs on the way to launching your boat that says "catch and release only for atlantic salmon".

O
OnTheFly
fisherwilly said:
My girlfriend caught her fish on a copper john with green wire instead of copper probably like a size 16(she tied it herself). I hooked and lost my fish on a scud like pattern I made with caddis crystal dubbing in a green color probably like size 14.

Fisherwilly

Thanks! Good call. Nothing on top though huh?

Troutski
Troutski
That lake has produced both my largest Atlantic Salmon and my largest Brookie....great place to watch fish, and see just what they do on there day off;).

Chuck