Horrible start to the day.

B

beaverfan

So I woke up about 45 min ago to the smell of smoke in my room. Couldn't figure out what it was, so I go outside my room and my apartment was filled with smoke I mean filled to the point you can's see 5 feet. My first concern was my pets! I proceed down my hallway and downstairs to the living room and kitchen. I see flames reflecting off the walls and counter, flames at least 3ft high. Now logic would say get the hell out of there which is probably what I should have done but did not. First I grabbed a towl and tried to smother the fire which worked a little bit but was taking far too long as there was a lot of flames. So I grab an empty milk jug and fill it up and start flailing water all over my kitchen. After a min or two I got all the flames out. So now I'm stuck with an apt full of smoke so I go air it out, once it airs out a bit I go to my stove and 2 burners are on high and my front door is unlocked. The weird thing is I haven't used my stove in like 2 weeks! And my door was unlocked and I almost never forget to lock the dead bolt. So did one of my cats slip and somehow turn them on or is someone out to get me? Now I got a huge freakin mess to clean up so guess I'm not going fishing.

J

joesnuffy

That's pretty weird! Glad your ok.

I had a dream this morning that I had testicular cancer.........

T

Throbbit _Shane

glad everything is ok beaverfan. hope u figure out what happend. a month ago some one ding dong ditched me at midnight kind of scared me LOL

F

Fishtopher

Horrible start to the day...Agreed

Horrible start to the day...Agreed

Glad yer ok man!!

I just came in from working on my Jeep. Went to the gas station to get a gas can filled up, came home, dumped it in my Jeep, took a step back and saw that gas was dripping from the gas tank:confused:. Upon closer inspection, I see that there are two holes some **** head drilled in my gas tank to steal my damned gas:mad:.

B

beaverfan

Ya it was pretty intense. Glad I got to it before it got out of control! I really don't know what to think, I don't see how one of my cats could have turned on 2 burners and I know for 100% certainty that I didn't turn them on!

A

Anyfishisfine

That sucks, but it could have been much, much worse. Glad you are OK.

N

nwkiller

wow, lock that door and beat up them cats, might get some info...lol jk, glad it came out ok, ull probably catch a monster fish

Q

qwapaw

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad all is OK, Are your cats OK? Don't suppose it could be those criminal Oregon Ducks do you? Just kidding. Hope you get to go out and catch a big one soon. Tight lines, Qwa

J

JeannaJigs

That's crazy, I'd probably be freaking out thinking about who has a key to my house and who I could've ticked off, that would want to do something like that. Two burners on, doesn't sound like a mistake, but wierd things happen...Hopefully that doesn't happen again to you! I think my first concern would be my pets too, but they hog my bed so they'd be easy to find in an emergency.

B

bigsteel

damn dude,,,,glad everyone is all right......if i were you ide change the locks.....thats some freaky sh!t

B

beaverfan

Thanks everyone! After thinking and hours of cleanup (nowhere near done, my ceiling and walls are black and there's soot covering everything) I still can't figure out what the hell happened? I don't have any enemies, at least none that would do that. I don't owe anyone money or anything stupid. Sure makes me mad though, either my cats are plottin against me or someone else is! Between the cleaning and being sore as hell from the cleaning I aint gonna be fishing for a while. Another weird thing is the timing. I woke up at 8:26, checked my phone and went to the bathroom and went back to bed. Around 9:15-9:20 I woke up to the smoke. So if someone did come in my apartment it was probably right around 9:00. I'm leaning towards my fat 20lb cat trying to jump on the stove to check out the pizza box on the counter next to it and in the process of him jumping up or trying to jump down his paws turned on both burners. It sounds kind of crazy since two burners were on but this fat, lazy, stupid, old man of a cat is always trippin over stuff and doing dumb things so it's entirely possible. I'll tell you one thing. I'm gonna be paranoid about leaving pizza boxes or anything else flammable on my counters anymore! Oh well, live and learn I guess!

T

Thuggin4Life

Wow man thats crazy. Most likely the cat and you didn't lock the door. Glad things are ok though.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Glad you woke and were able to deal with the situation!

Last edited:
D

dude young

Hey, I think I dropped my keys on the way out this morning. Had to walk all the way home. Can you leave them on the counter for me tonight? Thanks. ;)

Nah, kidding aside. That is some weird poo. Where are your fire extinguishers and smoke alarms? I would get all over your landlord and take pictures of the area it happened. You may have made a mistake here, but the owner is responsible for protecting his/her tenants and property.

Oh, and, the cat... ...next time he does that, let him sleep in the oven.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Renters insurance?

Renters insurance?

That is some serious stuff going on while you are sleeping. Thank God you smelled the smoke and got up. Any renters insurance? I agree with notifying your landlord about a malfunctioning appliance. I find it really difficult to believe a cat could actually turn on TWO burners. What was it that caught fire? You know there are companies that do clean up like that for renters/owners insurance. Find out if your complex covers it and maybe even mention an attorney if they aren't forthcoming in offering assistance. Given your physical limitations,I doubt things will be "alright" for a while. I know you suffer through a lot of pain much like I do,take your meds and don't overdo it if you decide to do it yourself. Take care,friend.

M

mgdguy

Cats cannot be trusted. Glad you are ok though and with minimal damages.

C

chris61182

That's terrifying, glad to hear you're ok. I've been on the receiving end of some bad stuff in the past, it's no fun having to check your car every morning before you dare drive.

G

GDBrown

God does watch over us!

God does watch over us!

I just noticed this thread!!!! Man I'm glad your OK! I would definitely tell the Landlord and call the fire department and have them come look at it. They may be able to tell what happened. They are the ones who see this all the time. Just don't call 911 to get a hold of them...... Is your stove gas or electric? Throwing water on an electric stove is usually a big no no!

K

Kodiak

Banned User
And don't be late fishin' ever again!jk...If sleep walking is not a side effect of your meds I'm going to consider fowl play an option here. 1. your door was unlocked 2. Your pizza box was next to the stove, not on it. 3. You hadn't left to go fishing yet, so your cat had no reason to be peeved. 4. Have you ever watched a cat try to cook? With thier "cat like" reflexes they never burn anything, and with the focus they have they don't forget. 5. You live in Beaverton and talk smack about the ducks. Obviously Phil Knight isn't pleased with your public opinion of his alma matter and rediculous looking stadium. 6. Portland is full of wakos. Sleep safe, use a bat not a gun..gun is over too fast and they don't get to feel the fear you did this morning. Let me know if you need help with anything.
Phill
Ex GF doesn't have akey to the apartment does she?

T

Troutier Bassier

Dont throw water at stove flame in general! Bad stuff happens.
Cats always mess things up. I woke up 3am to go to big creek once. I dident want to wake up the fam so I creep down stairs to the garage, as Im walking down the stairs I take a step and I hear a 'MEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Hisss!!!!
Apperently I stepped on my black cats tail when he was sleeping on the stairs...