Horrible new John Day regulations

B
bigsteel
this is what is so disgusting about oregon river management

O
OnTheFly
Sheesh. Next it'll be the Deschutes. I can't beleave they would give up so much revenue 1140 vs 10,000 (8 dollars a day boaters pass fee). Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot. Is the environmental impact of river use really that bad or is the BLM just flexing it's muscles because they can.:think:

B
bigsteel
this is just too weird for me,tons of people float the john day every year and for these guys to cut back to these numbers,something is going on..dont even say that about the deschutes,wouldnt that be horrible,whats next are we gonna have to be like hunters and draw float passes

O
OnTheFly
It's been considered on the Deschutes in the past but the impact on seasonal dollars for the town of Maupin would be devastating to a lot of businesses.

J
JeannaJigs
wtf?!!! I don't understand. I realize people are slobs, but start charging more or something to compensate for the cleanup. They might as well just close it completely.

B
bigsteel
JeannaJigs said:
wtf?!!! I don't understand. I realize people are slobs, but start charging more or something to compensate for the cleanup. They might as well just close it completely.

thats whats weird,the john day is not overly full of trash,its really nice in a lot of stretches.this just sucks

T
Thuggin4Life
what a bunch of bs. not to mention the financial impact to any of the guides that use this river to put bread on the table.

E
everett464
For the Record, this is the Fed, not Oregon, doing this. Oregon has no part in this.

O
OnTheFly
everett464 said:
For the Record, this is the Fed, not Oregon, doing this. Oregon has no part in this.
Not quite. Isn't there BLM authority for each state? They get the go-a-head from federal when there is land designated as wildlife preserve. It's a blank check for BLM to do what they want. I think they have to justify their jobs by doing something even if it's ludacris.

The new rules which have been in the works for several years are an attempt by the BLM to enhance the wilderness experience for users on the popular John Day River, which has been designated by Congress as Wild and Scenic waterway, allowing the BLM special management authority.

E
everett464
Isn't there BLM authority for each state?

Well, yes and no. There is a BLM Division that encompasses (has jurisdiction) over Oregon and Washington, and within that there are ten districts (nine in Oregon). That said, their geographical designation does not put them under the control, supervision, or guidance of Oregon (or Washington). The Districts answer to the Division, and the Division Answers to the Department of the Interior. The Land, in and out of the John Day belongs to the Fed. Oregon "owns" the wildlife, but simply has no authority in this situation.

brandon4455
brandon4455
there goes my fishing trip for this upcoming summer right out the #$%*ing window. :mad:

H
halibuthitman
well sept- feb is the best time on the JD anyway so its not like its gonna mess up my steelhead fishing, as for the guides.. they will have a float grandfather right and won't count in the recreational floaters numbers... as for the blm... almost all of the section mentioned is private property on both sides.. the ranchers and farmers get paid by the acre to not use it.. then they charge for fishing access, the JD is an amazing river... but in the summertime its severly abused in my own opinion.. and im glad to see it being addressed... not neccisarily how I would like to see it done though-

H
halibuthitman
brandon4455 said:
there goes my fishing trip for this upcoming summer right out the #$%*ing window. :mad:

the john day is not managed by any dams, so in the summer it gets shallow and warm sometimes... Trout fishing in warm water on hot days kills an incredible amount of fish and is unethical in a catch and release wild river setting... I will circle 30 better options closer to your house on a map for you... then in october you can head over there and just nock yourself out.. and not die of heat stroke-

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
well ill make sure to avoid that one in the summer.. thanks for letting me know about that bro i didn't know it got that bad over there.

brandon

H
halibuthitman
brandon4455 said:
well ill make sure to avoid that one in the summer.. thanks for letting me know about that bro i didn't know it got that bad over there.

brandon

yeah... it runs through the Great Basin Desert... 158,000 square miles of sagebrush...

Last edited:
T
troutramp
people fish for trout in the John day???? I plan on fishing for smallies on the fly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H
halibuthitman
troutramp said:
people fish for trout in the John day???? I plan on fishing for smallies on the fly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then you would not be effected:D

H
halibuthitman
and double digit steelhead days are not uncommon either..... the trout fishing is scenic, but by no means legendary.

R
RunWithSasquatch
The put in's and take out's can be a nightmare, there can be a lot of idiots that make it worse, I think its been a good while coming. Not to mention that the camps along those stretches get pissed in by 10,000 people. Its just to hard on the area.

B
bigsteel
it doesn't matter if its a trophy trout fishery or how many divisions BLM has,,its BS it doesn't just affect fishermen or guides,,it affects everyone,what about the guy who just wants to take his son down the river for a float,or the rafters who use this section for recreation?you can't just lump it all into fishing and say well this is good for it cause its too hot over there in the summer to fish.and if its too hot to fish over there why not close down the entire river why just this section that the majority of recreation users use?
you could say the same for just about any central oregon river getting too hot in the summer to fish.but that doesn't make it right to close it for recreation.