Hooks on spinners

Q
qwapaw
How many of you fisherpersons (PC) like treble hooks better than single hooks on spinners and lures for Steelhead and Salmon? I noticed that some come with both now when you buy them in the store. What do you put on them when you make them yourself? Thanks, the quest for knowledge goes on. Dan U

M
Mike123
Ima fan of trebles! I tried the whole single hook thing and I can't see any difference in my hook to land ratio. I've still lost fish on singles just as much, but I miss more fish with them.

I usually go with VMC's or Owner's when I change them out or make my own spinners..

M
metalmania
Trebles all the way:D

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Ima fan of trebles! I tried the whole single hook thing and I can't see any difference in my hook to land ratio. I've still lost fish on singles just as much, but I miss more fish with them.

I usually go with VMC's or Owner's when I change them out or make my own spinners..

Have you been able to find owner trebles WITHOUT the cutting point? Thats all I can find down here and I hate them, and just want needle points :( but Eugene is behind the times....

and I go with trebles. Always. I don't like singles.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
Have you been able to find owner trebles WITHOUT the cutting point? Thats all I can find down here and I hate them, and just want needle points :( but Eugene is behind the times....

and I go with trebles. Always. I don't like singles.

Pretty sure I got some ones that aren't the cutting points. They are super tough and sharp! I snagged a few rocks pretty hard and they stayed sharp!

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Pretty sure I got some ones that aren't the cutting points. They are super tough and sharp! I snagged a few rocks pretty hard and they stayed sharp!

I need to get me some. Owners are superior in every way...except for the cutting points lol. I started tying my jigs with owners.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
I need to get me some. Owners are superior in every way...except for the cutting points lol. I started tying my jigs with owners.

Why do you not like the cutting points? I've heard that they burrow out the hole in the fishes mouth resulting in more lost fish. Or maybe it's the needle points that do that??? Im not sure..

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Why do you not like the cutting points? I've heard that they burrow out the hole in the fishes mouth resulting in more lost fish. Or maybe it's the needle points that do that??? Im not sure..

I've lost quite a few fish on them lately, my belief is that they are super sharp and have little resistance going in because of the cutting points, they're like little knives, so they do go deep but that same lack of resistance allows them to pop out just as easily. I've never lost a fish on an SNP, they are amazing and dig deep and hold well.

M
Mike123
I lost a lot of fish PERIOD this year! Especially springers!

My hook to land record is still best with those cheaper hooks you could buy at Joe's... my mind is blank and I can't think of the name. Not Gami's, not Owner's, not Eagle Claws, not Brad's but the other kind... anyone help me out?

D
DirectDrive
Mike123 said:
I lost a lot of fish PERIOD this year! Especially springers!

My hook to land record is still best with those cheaper hooks you could buy at Joe's... my mind is blank and I can't think of the name. Not Gami's, not Owner's, not Eagle Claws, not Brad's but the other kind... anyone help me out?
Mustad ?

D
DirectDrive
Well, I'm in the minority here...
I like singles and I really like Owner cutting points.

Singles:
Several seasons back, trebles were outlawed on the Deschutes River. I had been a treble user and this forced me to deal with singles.
My hookups remained steady and I lost far fewer lures to snags using singles.
Now, I almost never fish a treble on a lure except for an occasional store-bought plug.

Trebles are legal again on the Deschutes.

Cutting points:
I am beyond impressed with how the little size 4 Owner cutting point will hook and hold big steelhead.
For valley summers I like to use a tiny, yarn offering and the above hook is perfect for it.
I've had fun giving fish to my "big hook" buddies with the little yarn bug and size 4 still in the fish.
The Owner size 4 model # is 5111-071
The 2 is a nice hook also.

Edit:
When using singles on weighted, casting spinners I would recommend using a split ring of the appropriate size between the hook and the spinner wire.
If the single has that extra bit of "wobble" it will hookup better and it will be harder to Mr. Big to throw.
I like to incorporate swivels into my salmon trolling spinners at the hook as well.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
DirectDrive said:

Nope not Mustad either... they are not too popular of a hook and are a lot cheaper than most others. SUPER sharp, but kind of brittle I guess.. They break before they bend. Chemically sharpened. I hate that I can't think of the name.

D
DirectDrive
Mike123 said:
Nope not Mustad either... they are not too popular of a hook and are a lot cheaper than most others. SUPER sharp, but kind of brittle I guess.. They break before they bend. Chemically sharpened. I hate that I can't think of the name.
Gotta be VMC....?
Wouldn't call 'em super sharp, though. At least until they're "taken care of" :D