Hooked!

J
jesse202505
Hello everyone, so I decided to take on the art of flyfishing, My favorite fishing has alway been bobber and jig fishing, spotting steel head off a 20 ft rock ( the water is 50 ft deep) as they swim by about 2 to 6 ft from the top of the water and casting a jig in their line of direction and watch the steel head as it notices the jig and how he swims out of his way and straight up to the jig. the best part is when the steelhead comes face to face with the jig and decides weather it wants the jig or not, those few seconds seem like a life time! having your slack reeled in and your rod tip down ready to set the hook the moment you see that jig disappear into the bright white mouth of a steelhead. being able to see all of this makes it that much more exciting. so I got pretty good at spotting steelhead in water.
So I met this older guy at my job, who happens to fly fish around the same stretches of river that I do, I got to know him better and found out hes a really talented steelhead flyfisherman, I told him about the way I bobber and jig for steelhead and he was impressed, and suggested I take those spotting skills and use them on a fly pole. he then told me about the stretch of water that he fishes, told me to try my method of spotting steelhead there. sure enough i went and ended up finding what is now my favorite fishing hole that has provided me steelhead, after the steelhead are in the water for a while they tend to stop biting jigs, so my friend from work told me this is where i need to know how to fly fish. once steelhead stop eating they get real picky, you could cast a thousand jigs at it and it wont even budge (even with nice bright steelhead). Ive done my research on steelhead and it seems when they are picky, presentation is the key and fly fishing provides that.
So I have bought my fly setup from a local shop the owner had a lot of knowledge and helped explain all the basics with me. I got a echo 8 weight 9'6" fly rod with a echo reel got the backing and fly line all for only 170$ the pole also has lifetime warranty. its best quality starter set up for that price I could find anywhere, even went to other fly shops.
Ive been out once before today, I went to a spot that i had all to my self where I know fish hangout and started practicing. I did okay that day at casting the rod but still needed practice, today I went to a smaller river that has coho in it and gave it a try again using some glo bugs i tied myself. I never really got a good piece of bank to cast but i managed. the crazy thing was i felt a whole lot more comfortable with the fly rod today than my first time. I am starting to get a feel for the line and making it go where i want it. so after a few hours I was casting a globug into water that was 3 ft deep and dead drifted the globug into a nice 5 or 6 ft hole where i can see coho swiming in and out. once in a while my fly would pull on rocks, so I got the feeling of rocks now. all of a sudden the line starts pulling down so slow I thought it was a rock so I went to swing the fly back out and hooked a coho. !!! not even ready for it all of a sudden my line running and i have about 5 or 6 ft fly line i had pulled out ripping past my hand so fast i couldnt grab it ontime and the fish let off. My friend had warned me about the risk of having a lot of fly line next to you when you hook a fish, I didn't really understand then but I sure do now. haha. it was an awesome experience and now im hooked! I can't wait for steelhead to run so i can try to catch one on my flyrod. for now its just practice practice practice. thanks for reading

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Whew! You had me holding my breath with that description! "Fish on...fish off" is the way of life for all fisher folks, I think that is what keeps us going back out time after time. It sounds like you are a very quick learner. The fish in your area are in big trouble!

J
jesse202505
thanks, They are already in trouble. ill save them from drowning :thumb: here is a pic of a globug I made for coho, anyone have any suggestions on what to throw at them? PART_1381660475258.jpeg

O
OnTheDrop
jesse202505 said:
thanks, They are already in trouble. ill save them from drowning :thumb: here is a pic of a globug I made for coho, anyone have any suggestions on what to throw at them?

They like jigging type action. Try twitching some obscure streamers near them. I have caught several on egg imitations like that and reel eggs for that matter but the twitch seems to get 'em going.

Man, I know a spot on the Clack where it sounds just as you are describing...Spot 'em from the cliff and toss your bob&jig...:thumb:

T
TimberTodd
There is something about bug chuckin that's very addictive. I got stung a couple of years ago.

S
Spydeyrch
Sweet report man!! Welcome to the awesome side of fishing!!! hehehehe. Glad to see you enjoy it. Good luck out there man.

-Spydey

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you like sight fishing for steehead and flyfishing for steelhead then head to the Salmon River up out of Welches. The river is open to steelhead in July and August. It's a very clear small river built for just that activity. It can be a lot of fun and your bug looks good.

J
jesse202505
SteelmonKiller20 said:
They like jigging type action. Try twitching some obscure streamers near them. I have caught several on egg imitations like that and reel eggs for that matter but the twitch seems to get 'em going.

Man, I know a spot on the Clack where it sounds just as you are describing...Spot 'em from the cliff and toss your bob&jig...:thumb:

Thanks for the tips. I bet its one of the good few spots to fish like that on the clack.

J
jesse202505
I'll have to try salmon river I didn't know there was one up there. Not too far from my place too. Thanks

W
waco
Yes, you are hooked, there is nothing like getting steelhead on the fly!!!