Hook size

F
FishSchooler
I am getting confused on what hook size to use. One person said I should use a 3/0 hook for steelhead. Others say size 1 or 2. They are almost opposites!

I am also going ling-ing. The biggest size jighead Joes had (with about 5 or 6 inch curly tail grubs) was a football-head 3/0. Is this big enough?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have hooked hundreds of fish in the last year on # 4's primarily, and # 2 Owner SNP's while targeting Salmon and Steelhead. When drift fishin I don't go bigger than a size 1. But I use 1's a lot, while backtrolling divers for Chinook, and Steelhead alike in the Clackamas. A 1/0 is also a fine choice for Clackamas Chinook. And setting a hook that big(3/0) for Steelhead with anything other than a backbouncer, or big hurky 25-40 is going to be a challenge.

Those big curl tail grubs in white, and black are all you need, and the 3/0 is big enough for most Lings you will be targeting. Also, you'll notice that Owners hook sizing is very different than any other companies out there. An owner number 1 is about the size of everyone elses 1/0's, so just be aware when choosing a hook size in the Owner brand.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Those big curl tail grubs in white, and black are all you need, and the 3/0 is big enough for most Lings you will be targeting. Also, you'll notice that Owners hook sizing is very different than any other companies out there. An owner number 1 is about the size of everyone elses 1/0's, so just be aware when choosing a hook size in the Owner brand.

Yay thanks! I don't know if my mom will touch a ling even though she loves the taste... :shock:

J
JeannaJigs
I run exclusively #2's for winter fish and #4's for summer steelhead. Jumping sometimes to a 3/0 MAX for Chinook depending on water color, though usually running a 2/0. I've accidentally caught a small summer steelhead on a #6, trout fishing though, that was interesting, lost it right before I could bank it.

Everyone has their own preference, I've seen guys with ginormous 5/0 hooks on the Mac...which is excessive I think. I think most people think bigger is better when targetting larger fish, but that's not necessarily the case.

1aB
"FishSchooler", to confuse you even more, this guy likes his hooks down around #8 for finesse jigging. You probably know already that regardless of size, steelhead hooks are Xstrong.

ErikWA.jpg