Hook removal trick

A
Anyfishisfine
I had to do that for a friend once. The only difference was no string, no whiskey, and the lure had 2 sets of hooks. One in my friend's arm, and the other in the mouth of a 4 foot shark.

A quick yank, flesh be damned was the order of that day.

M
mrlindeman
UhhhGhhh That guys was hurtin bad

brandon4455
brandon4455
ouch....

O
OnTheFly
For a second there I thought he high fived with his sore hand. But at least he knew what to do with the whisky. yikes!

F
FishFinger
I saw something similar happen jogging back from a bottom fishing run. The cabin was filled with the sick and the spent. This poor guy who was already two shades of green got stuck on deck. We must have hit a roller causing 3 "stowed" rods to fly over and attack him with foul intent. Most of the hooks went into his clothing, but one ran deep into the flesh between him index finger and thumb.

It hurts just thinking about it.

For that one they pushed it the rest of the way past the barb, cut off the eye, and pulled it through.

Nasty business!

O
OnTheFly
I was wondering if JeannaJigs and lilsalmon could expand on this.:shock:;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
when i was 7 i got hooked in the ankle with a rapala crankbait. all 2out of3 barbs went in.. had to go to the fire dept and and get shots and they had yo wiggle it around and get it out while my foot was numb.

C
Cowboykid8
Man thats gnarley. Guy did a good job though, thats a day ruin-er.

S
SLEDME
That happened to me once when trying to release a wild Siuslaw Coho.I had a 1/0 treble hook buried past the barb and pulled it out with some heavy mono.The worst part was that the hook was covered with garlic smelly jelly and i was in salt water....it took quite a while to heal.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
SLEDME said:
That happened to me once when trying to release a wild Siuslaw Coho.I had a 1/0 treble hook buried past the barb and pulled it out with some heavy mono.The worst part was that the hook was covered with garlic smelly jelly and i was in salt water....it took quite a while to heal.

haha...

When I was 18 or so, I was practicing my double-haul with a big ass steelhead fly. I screwed up and sent the damn thing right into the back of my arm, past the barb and up around the bend. I took the fly line and wrapped it around the tail section and tried to yank it out, but honestly I couldn't get up enough gumption to pull it hard enough so I ended up having to cut it out with a knife. :rolleyes: Lame.