Hook color

U
Utahutes
I have been wondering about this being anew to steelhead and salmon. Do any of you use a red hook when using roe. Does it matter what color when fishing other rigs. Just wondering if color makes any difference.

F
fish4life
I have caught steelhead and salmon on nickle, red and black hooks. I prefer the black ones.

Aervax
Aervax
Some of the old timer fly fishing guides specializing in steelhead swear by gold hooks. That is all they will use. They have decades personal experience they base that on. Of course, for what it is worth that is the hook they are using to tie flies that will be used by their clients, not for bait. Just another data point to use in making your decision.

Artwo
Artwo
I use nickle for everything..................

D
Dizzy Fisherman
Color doesn’t matter but quality does. Buy the best hooks you can.

Reactions: troutdude
Bake
Bake
"Match the Hatch" if I'm tieing a fly that features a bloody gil, I would use a red hook. Now on the other hand, if I was tieing a fly with a lot of silver flash, I would use a nickel hook. If the fly is dark (Black & Blue) I would try a black hook. If the fly was mostly brown & tan, sounds like a good time to use a gold hook.

I've seen hooks all colors, I would try to compliment the colors...

my2labs
my2labs
I have spent the last 3 seasons trying to find the perfect rigs..... and in the end, my results were lower than when I used to just tie an egg loop and toss a corkie into it.

Now I will admit, I got complicated with my offerings (6’ leader with a yarnie at 3’, and a bead pinned on the lower hook) so keep that in mind but....... my point is......

Keep it simple.

Does hook color really matter?
Does it?
Or is it really about presenting a small, innocuous bait just off the bottom?

——-

Anyway, I’ve untied about 200 leaders the last two nights. Reclaiming my hooks to scale back down. No more complicated riggings.

Keep it simple.

Use sharp hooks, Do not worry about the color of them......

hobster
hobster
I always use red Owner hooks, because I'd like to think it looks like a little piece of skein floating behind the corkie, bead or whatever. Honestly though, I don't think hook color matters at all.

U
Utahutes
hobster said:
I always use red Owner hooks, because I'd like to think it looks like a little piece of skein floating behind the corkie, bead or whatever. Honestly though, I don't think hook color matters at all.
I was thinking same thing only I use game. Octopus hooks #2 steelhd. 1/0 salmon