Hook and Weight Regulations

A
Airs98
I re-read the regulations again today and I think I have a question...

On pages 10-11 it says:
"When angling for salmon or steelhead, (except in the ocean or as listed under Special Regulations for specific bodies of water) the following regulations apply:
Hook and Weight Regulations:
• All weight, if not part of a conventional lure, must be attached above the hooks..."

Does that mean it's illegal to use a slider while plunking Willamette or Columbia? That would put the hook on the slider above the weight, right?

I am confused...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Modest_Man......great picture!

Airs98 you should be good to go with a slider because you "attach" the slider to your main line above the hooks. Sometimes when I troll in the Columbia I'll use a slider. The slider goes on the main line then I put on a bead and tie to a swivel, on the other end of the swivel I tie the leader. If this is what you mean by using a slider there should not be a problem. You can also make a call to ODF&W but I think Modest_Man makes a great point or three!

troutdude
troutdude
Here is the key point--or points (LOL)--right from the reg book:

• All weight, if not part of a conventional lure, must be attached above the hooks. When using single-point hooks larger than 5/8‑inch gap or multiple-point hooks, the attachment of the weight must be 18 inches or more above uppermost hook.

That tells me, that you must have at least 18" of line (leader) between your hook and any weight.

A
Airs98
troutdude said:
That tells me, that you must have at least 18" of line (leader) between your hook and any weight.

Yes, at least 18". That's fine. The question is actually about the "above uppermost hook" provision in the rule. If I use a slider with a Spin-n-Glow the uppermost hook in that case will be the one on the slider. My weight will be below that hook in that case :(

Modest_Man, that is a great pic!

G
Growbug
This is how my tiny little brain has thought this one out.
th_Untitled_resize.png

A is the length of line that drops the weight
B is the length of leader from separation of lines to the hook.
If you have a swivel separating the lines, then these are fixed lengths. If you have a slider, then length A can change depending where you put the slider stops.
A+B = length of line between hook and weight, has to be greater than 18"
if length of A is less than the length of B then the weight is ABOVE the hook
if the length of A is greater than the length of B then the weight is BELOW the hook

Last edited:
F
fish_4_all
Up here it means that the weight must be attached higher on the MAIN LINE than the hook is. Up here it would not be legal to fish the way you talk about on rivers where the rule is in effect. I would definitely contact OFW to make sure what the meaning is.