Hook and bullet fishing website?

C
cookshot
Came across this website. Looks pretty cool, but I was just wondering how accurate it actually is. The species it describes in a lot of places seem a little... shall we say "fishy." Just thought some people could check out some of the places they are really familiar with on there and see if it is actually accurate. I'm planning on spending a couple days testing it out. If it is accurate it looks like an awesome resource.

Oregon Fish and Fishing Lakes, Rivers, Dams, Streams, Reservoirs, and other Fishing Spots | Hook and Bullet

C
cookshot
Here's one that gave me trouble...

Houston Lake is a lake located just 7.7 miles from Prineville, in the state of Oregon, United States, near Powell Butte, OR. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including white bass, lake trout and sturgeon here.

G
GDBrown
seems bogus to me. I checked some areas in the state that I know well and all the locations are listed as public when I know that most are not. A lot of the lakes are not even listed and the ones that are have not additional info listed. In fact not one that I checked had any additional info..

GD

D
Drew9870
Seatrout and Brown Trout....... IN SALEM...... :lol::lol::lol:

troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
Seatrout and Brown Trout....... IN SALEM...... :lol::lol::lol:

Agreed. That one is TOTALLY bogus, and almost laughable!

troutdude
troutdude
It IS bogus!!!

It IS bogus!!!

I just went to that site, and it listed Gray's Creek...9 miles from Philomath.

There is indeed a Gray's Creek, but it fllows through the Finley Wildlife Refuge. I don't know about you guys n' galsl...but, I don't want to get a ticket for ILLEGAL fishing!!!

It also lists Greasy Creek in Philomath, as PUBLIC land. I grew up in that country. The only small piece that I know of that may be Public land, runs by Bevens Park on Hwy. 34. And I would still ask the owners first for permission. The rest is, I believe all Private land.

Be careful about what this site has listed.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
I think you will all get a kick out of this one. Whens the last time you heard of a Crappie being caught out of Wirth, ON A SMELT.

Quote from Hook and Bullet
Wirth Lake is a lake located just 1.3 miles from Four Corners, in the state of Oregon, United States. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including panfish, chinook salmon and crappie here. Whether you’re fly fishing, baitcasting or spinning your chances of getting a bite here are good. So grab your favorite fly fishing rod and reel, and head out to Wirth Lake. If all goes well, the chinook will be hooked by your maggots, the crappie will be biting your smelt and the bluegill will be grabbing your mousies.

For anyone that doesn't know, Wirth is a small stocker pond that in my eyes, is liquid duck turd, but good for just getting people into the sport.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
ROTFL...catching Crappie w/ Smelt. How the heck would a Crappie bite a fish the same size that he/she is??? TOO FUNNY!

C
cookshot
So although it has become apparent that this site is a crock, it sprung a question in my mind. In the one I posted earlier citing sturgeon in Houston lake... are sturgeon ever landlocked (I'm not asking if they may be in Houston lake)? That may be a dumb question.

troutdude
troutdude
Isn't there a giant sturgeon in Loch Ness named Nessie??? LOL :lol::lol::lol:

But, seriously folks...I'm curious too. Are there landlocked ones?

H
halibuthitman
shasta lake, kootnai lake, and flathead lake, at one time sprague lake all have or had landlocked sturgeon.

G
GDBrown
Land Locked

Land Locked

There are also Sturgeon in the Snake river above the Dams and I think they are considered land locked as well.

GD