Hood River

J
joesnuffy
Anybody know about fishing Hood River in March?

T
Timber
I don't mean to be off subject ( I don't know about fishing Hood River in March), but hopefully your post doesn't go the same way as my post about Rock Creek Reservoir and Cody Ponds. Where is everybody? I hope both of us will get a reply.

When I was a kid in the good old days, I would fish the East Fork of Hood River for trout.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Timber said:
I don't mean to be off subject ( I don't know about fishing Hood River in March), but hopefully your post doesn't go the same way as my post about Rock Creek Reservoir and Cody Ponds. Where is everybody? I hope both of us will get a reply.

When I was a kid in the good old days, I would fish the East Fork of Hood River for trout.

Timber I think most folk seem to fish othere places closer to the Valley. I have found post about areas east of the cascades to be a wee bit slim. I think folks don't post because they don't go over there. I like you have not fished the Hood River since I was a kid, long time ago in the 1960s. I haven't fished Rock Creek in a couple of years. I posted what I remember about the place in a post last May. Again I don't think to many folks on this site fish over there at Rock Creek. I like to hit it in the spring with the fly rod and go after those rainbows and even a blue gill once in a while.

Joe sorry don't have much information on the Hood River. I have fished Lawrece Lake up there for trout with the fly rod many times but that's no help. Also hung out at the Pheasant Hill Winnery now that was a good place.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
No hordes of Vikings plying their waters

No hordes of Vikings plying their waters

You know what we need here? A battalion of OFF Explorers,willing to go to the little known lakes,streams,reservoirs and ponds. Seek them out and send back a photo journal report of fish species,access,restricting habitat,fishing conditions,local bait shops,bank & ramp conditions and anything else fisher folk need to get excited about tackling a new fishing hole. I agree that the woefully dinky or non-existent reports on the eastern fishing waters is frustrating. The problem is that we need more recruits in the eastern side of the state to supply the reports. Joesnuffy& Timber, are there other fisher folk you go out with? Maybe you can tell them about OFF and get them excited about the forum enough to join. They don't have to give GPS locations, just general information. I guarantee we won't show up in hordes like invading Vikings and empty out their waters. Maybe just enjoy the whole eastern Oregon fishing experience. Something to think about and consider. Keep us "posted".
Barb

T
Timber
That would be great if we could get more information on some of the places to fish on the east side of the mountain. From my location, it takes me the same amount of time to travel to the "close" eastside places as it does to travel to some of the more heavily used areas in the valley. Most of those fishing spots are not crowded and very scenic which really helps with the relaxation and fun factors.

Of course, the good old days fishing a single egg on the East Fork are over. Too bad. Like Irishrover, it was back in the early sixties that I fished there with my dad and have nothing but good memories. My dad, being in the sawmill inspection business, always carried his fishing gear with him and would fish anywhere there was water. Somewhere around Parkdale or Dee, he would catch steelhead early in the year and trout the rest of the year. Like I said earlier, those were the good old days.

J
joesnuffy
THERE ARE NO FISH IN EASTERN OREGON. STAY IN THE VALLEY!!!!!

:p

Most of the people i know that fish over here are older and don't use the internet very often. kinda hard to get a report that way.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sounds fishy to me

Sounds fishy to me

joesnuffy said:
THERE ARE NO FISH IN EASTERN OREGON. STAY IN THE VALLEY!!!!!

:p

Most of the people i know that fish over here are older and don't use the internet very often. kinda hard to get a report that way.

joesnuffy;
Don't you know your tongue will grow scales when you tell fibs? :naughty: There better be fish over there! I will be over in the Bend/Sisters area in July for the wild and crazy quilt show with my quilting roomie. I can only spend so much time in Sisters gazing at quilts, I must fish to maintain sanity! :rolleyes: Wonder is I can squeeze my new pontoon into the van? :think: Maybe. :D Be safe.
Barb

J
joesnuffy
Now there's the problem with you Valley Folk. Your not very good with geography.

Bend isn't in Eastern Oregon, it's in Central Oregon and there are lots of fish over there :p Fish it all you want.

Eastern Oregon starts near John Day.

T
Timber
Hey joesnuffy-
I admit that I don't know too much about fishing Hood River anymore and I wish I did. Now this summer or fall, I may be going to Joseph for a few days and would like to drag the boat over to fish Wallowa Lake. Since it's not too far from Baker City, maybe you know of some tricks for that lake or any others. If so, would you care to share some tips? Thanks in advance.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oooops

Oooops

joesnuffy said:
Now there's the problem with you Valley Folk. Your not very good with geography.

Bend isn't in Eastern Oregon, it's in Central Oregon and there are lots of fish over there :p Fish it all you want.

Eastern Oregon starts near John Day.

joesnuffy;
Oooops! My apologies.:confused: Be safe.
Barb

J
joesnuffy
No Worries Barb! :p

I'd be happy to post replys on EO questions if I have actual answers.

I haven't fished Wallowa Lake in 20 yrs.

J
joesnuffy
Ok, I guess I'm not going to get a fishing report about H.R. but what about access?

Are there easy places to get to for public access?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Joe I'm geting this information from my book Oregons Best Fishing Waters. It's a book of maps and fishing locations first printed in 2007. It says that steelheading is limited to the waters below the power house dam. That is not to far up river from the mouth (river mile 4). It shows a winter steelhead run in April May and June. It says you can access the river from either a trail at the mouth or at the dam. There is a fly shop in Hood River that I have visited perhaps they can give you the real skinny on that hunk of water. When are you headed over there.

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
I'll be over there next weekend. I found that Fly Shop online but I've heard some bad things about the guy who runs it.

I'm currently planning on doing just what you said. Find the access by the dam and try to get on some water. It's a little early in the season but who knows? It could be my lucky day! :dance:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Joe, how did the trip to Hood River turn out?

J
joesnuffy
i haven't gone yet. I will be there friday.

J
joesnuffy
only had about 3.5 hrs fishing on Friday. Nymphed and Swung flies to no evail. Only heard of 2 fish being hooked.

The River was nice though......once i found how to get to it. (30 minute detour)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Gettin' it wet

Gettin' it wet

joesnuffy;
Good for you for getting your line wet. The only thing I got wet was my Border Collie. Not a happy puppy. Glad that those that can get out are having a good time anyway. Keep at it. Be safe.
Barb

J
joesnuffy
looks like i'll be back on the hood river in May. any idea about what's around at that time?

H
highlaker
joesnuffy said:
only had about 3.5 hrs fishing on Friday. Nymphed and Swung flies to no evail. Only heard of 2 fish being hooked.

The River was nice though......once i found how to get to it. (30 minute detour)

when you fished the hood..where did u fish??
close to the dam..near the pipe line..or the mouth?

from what people tell me the best place to go is by the pipeline..i live 20 miles away and have only fished it 3 or 4 times so couldnt really tell you much