Hoochies and dressed hooks

F
fish_4_all
I have seen them used here at times and they work at times. Yarn on the hook is normaly the thing others do if they can't find the ones with the hoochies/squid on the spinner, Mepps C or something like that.

The big question is do many of you use them and have much success with them? I am thinking about dressing up some Siwash with Marabou and yarn just try it out or even getting some squid/hoochies and making spinners with them by putting them over the body before I twist the spinner.

Is it worth it? I catch as many without ever using them as anyone using it but if they work that well maybe I can put a few more on the bank a little more often.

M
Mike123
I'm lost... please re-explain.

F
fish_4_all
Hoochies, squid skirts, skirts, yarn, Basicaly anything that dresses up a siwash hook on a spinner, does it work or is it just as effective to fish a plain spinner right.

A
alseaalumaweld
i think a plain spiner works pretty good. addign stuff to them changes them up gives them something to look at

M
Mike123
I've done well with hoochies plain and with chunks of herring on the hooks with hoochies over them. Never trolled with yarn on the hook?

F
fish_4_all
Not trolling, throwing spinners.

R
rickman
Interesting subject and not just for Salmon.

Do the dressed hooks catch more fish or....more fishermen?

F
fish_4_all
That's why I am asking. Last 2 years i have seen a lot of fish caught with yarn on the hook or with some sort of pink hoochie/squid over the body of the spinner. I rarely get out fished down here but the ones that use the yarn and hoochies catch a lot more than people not using them. It isn't really a fair comparison though because these same people can catch fish without doing it if they don't have yarn with them.

I am going to try it this year, getting ready to tie some yarn to some Siwash hooks so I have them. If i don't get a bite and fish are moving I will use a yarn hook and try to see if it actualy makes a difference or not.

As for other fish, a squirrel dressed hook outfishes a plain treble on a spinner hands down for me for trout, maybe close to 10:1. Single hooks, no difference that I have ever noticed unless oyu count adding a worm to the hook as dressing it then it makes a huge one.

R
rickman
I've bought some various materials for "dressing" hooks. It turned out to be more building flies to attach to my inline spinners. Simple dressings look just as good to me anyways. I don't think a fish knows if it's a Royal Coachman, a piece of yarn or a bug.

With that said, I've decided to "dress" my hooks with different colors or mix of chenille and maybe a bit of feather. A lot easier, faster and cheaper. (Plus, if needed, it would hold scent)

My-Dressed-Trebles.png

Last edited: