Honda motor question

N
n8r1
Hi--I'm currently looking at a motor for sale. It's a 1998 Honda 2HP 4-Stroke motor. A picture of the motor is below (not the actual one I'm buying, but the same model)

I was just wondering if any other OFFers have owned this motor, or have had any experience with one? I'm looking for something small, light, and most importantly, cheap, to push around my 7.5 foot Livingston Fiberglass. I'm hoping that this will do the trick. I also like that it's a 4-stroke (vs a 2 stroke) since I won't have to do any gas mixing and hopefully it will smoke a little less too.

I'm VERY inexperienced with boat motors in general, so if anybody could offer me up some advice on what to look for when I check it out that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks guys!

honda motor.jpg

T
Thuggin4Life
Well its gonna be very slow. but know you can sneak around the ponds or do some trolling. just don't expect to get from a to b very quickly and on a big lake if the wind picks up you may not be able to heqd into it.

N
n8r1
I was actually thinking about that. I was going to mostly use it in tidewater. Do you think that 2HP would be enough to fight an outgoing tide with a little 7 1/2 foot boat? Or should I be looking at 5HP instead?

I'm looking at the smaller motor for 2 reasons: price and weight. This boat is going to be strictly a car topper, so I need a motor that I can pick up and carry around easily. The 2HP motors weigh 27 lbs, while the 5HP ones weigh 65. And obviously the 2HP ones are cheaper. But if I'm going to get pulled out to the ocean with a 2HP then that won't be an option.

Thuggin4Life said:
Well its gonna be very slow. but know you can sneak around the ponds or do some trolling. just don't expect to get from a to b very quickly and on a big lake if the wind picks up you may not be able to heqd into it.

troutdude
troutdude
I've fought plenty of tides; and I wouldn't want to try it w/ only 2 HP...unless it was attached to my float tube (jk).

T
Thuggin4Life
I had a 6hp on my 12'valco i sold but last fall we used it with 2 people on board against outgoing tides and it was ok. was nevrvous until i tried it and then wass fine but it wasn't the fastest motor even on a flat lake. I would go with a 5 at the very least. I know you wanted 4 stroke but 2 stokes are lighter and i actually think the smell good. your best bet would to get a 9.9 to fully enjoy that boat. specially since you want to be out in the bays. I had a 9.9 and didn't mind picking it up. And i would carry it if i had to to get it on a cartopper boat but i was lucky enough to have a trailer. also 8,9.9,and 15 are all basically the same motor built on the same platform and i wouldn't guess there to be more than 5lbs difference between them.

T
Thuggin4Life
Here is an example of a livingston that someone was hauling in a pickup bed. they have a 9.8 for it so you know that they had to carry the motor just like you plan on doing so its possible. 10' LIVINGSTON WITH 9.8 MERC
Also here is a motor close to you that would look preety good on your boat. 1975 Johnson 15 H.P. Short if you try to buy it make sure you talk them down. use the age of the motor as leverage and i would start 200 less than priced. 100 off would be a deal for me.

H
halibuthitman
myself I will never buy anything smaller than a 9.9, the price difference isn't enough to justify the lack of horse power, and as far as the livingston, I use one in alaska as a skiff for our boat... nothing smaller than a 15 where there is any current at all...anything more than a 20 and you can't keep the bow down.. now if you sold the livingston and bought a pontoon and put the 2 on it.. you might be in business- Brad

N
n8r1
Ok this might be a stupid question but remember that I know very little about boats...

The boat is rated for no more than a 5HP motor. If I put a 10-20 HP motor on it wouldn't that be dangerous?

H
halibuthitman
if its placered reads that as its rating.. you can actually get a ticket for any larger.... as for dangerous.. 15 is not too much for that hull, 20 is pushing it, and 25 well, that would be dangerous-

N
n8r1
This is all very good information, thanks guys!

Just to be more specific, this boat/motor will be kept entirely at the coast for the forseeable future, and used 95% of the time on the Necanicum tidewater areas, with the occasional day trip to Cullaby or Coffenbury during the summer. I'm not going to be pulling a wakeboard behind this boat (that was a joke) but I obviously need something that can fight the river current, strong winds, and an outgoing tide. Also, since I'll be using it in saltwater I would prefer to get an air-cooled engine since maintainence will be less.

T
Thuggin4Life
Just take the plate off and say it was like that when you bought it. I talked to the local law inforcement and they told me that as long as my little 12'er wasn't doing 50mph across the lake or looked to be dangerous they really dont care to check to see if a boat is overpowered. its obvious when one is and on my valco rated for 7.5 i found that you had to double it to have the perfect power.

N
n8r1
Thuggin4Life said:
Just take the plate off and say it was like that when you bought it. I talked to the local law inforcement and they told me that as long as my little 12'er wasn't doing 50mph across the lake or looked to be dangerous they really dont care to check to see if a boat is overpowered. its obvious when one is and on my valco rated for 7.5 i found that you had to double it to have the perfect power.

You crack me up man! Let's hope BrokenRod doesn't read this or he will turn both of us in :D

T
Thuggin4Life
Lmao. It's funny I started talking to this sheriff at the last boat show here and my first questions were about driving my boat while suspended. First thing he did was ask me I was Andy Nill. Turned out my papers just went across his desk. But we had a good long conversation about boating laws and fines. Just don't over power your boat and make it look obvious. Like if you put a 90 hp on it and the bow was in there air while tied to a dock. A 9.9 would be fine for you by yourself and tolerable with you and a passenger. 15 might score you solo but when you take on passengers and gear you will be glad you have it and its the same size as a 9.9. Before I had my boated card I used the 9.9 hood on my 15. Same make 10 years apart and the hoods were the same. Whatever happened broken rod. Sure would hate to have him as a passanger.