Homicide...

N

ninja2010

well, after not being able to get on the water for the past 2 weeks due to a series of disastrous events at work, i got this insistent pm from metalmania stating that we HAD to go fishing and he ain't taking 'no' for an answer...

so we met up this morning just before sunrise at dabney state park and proceeded to the fishing spot a few minutes away.

the sun was barely visible when we arrived at the first riffles. so we started throwing some spinners for nada. then we moved down a bit to this hole where we switched over to drifting. metalmania was drifting his freshly cured coho eggs... a few casts into it - fish on! then almost as quickly - fish off! it didn't stick.

okay... let's do this again... couple of casts... WHAMO! he had another fish on, followed almost immediately by #@$#%@$#... okay, so no fish again.

rebait, recast... still shaking his head in disbelief... suddenly, we saw a coho roll in front of us. but wait, this fish had a line attached to it... oh, oh, it's a real "fish on". and this one got to the bank - a clipped jack, which was promptly bonked.

we saw this as a sign - a good sign.

so we fished a bit more, but the action died. decided to move a bit upriver to try a different hole instead. from our vehicles, we could see the unmistakable swirls of rolling fish... oh yeah, this hole definitely looked fishy... so we fished it.

nothing much was happening until metalmania tied on a pink colored bell bodied spinner and chucked it right by a mess of soaked timber at the far bank. his first cast with the spinner, and yes, you guessed it - fish on, again. but, alas, it was one of those that was instantly followed by @##^#^&$.

i was thinking to myself as i was watching all this while reeling in the spinner i've been throwing - "first cast, and he got bit. well, if only something would bite my..."

my thoughts were cut short by the sudden absence of the rhythmic thumping of my spinner's blade, followed by a series of not so rhythmic tugging at the end of my line as i raised my rod like i always do when i think i'm snagged. but this was no snag - FISH ON!!!!

"It's not a small one," i said, and m.m. was already on the net poised by the bank. he was pumped, i was pumped. the fish was pulling drag, and when it stopped, i could barely coax it in. the excitement was fierce - could this be it? could this be the fish that would commit the crime?

"bring him to the net... can you bring him in? that's it... oh! oh! yeah!"

and with that, we landed it... and just like that...

THE SKUNK IS DEAD!!!!!

after nine months of skunkage every weekend, on this, the fourth day of the month of october in the year two thousand and nine, the ninja has slain the skunk forever in the pacific northwest... with a nasty looking fall chinook.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

sorry for the long post, but it was an epic moment. and i want to thank metalmania for his insistence that we go fishing today.

the homicide was complete, and no fish were harmed in the act.

oh, and we want to dedicate this shot to kodiak...

IMG_0121.jpg

V

VagrantAngler

Post that pic in the TCO Contest thread Ninja. Get yourself some free gear! Good job killing the dirty skunk! My coho season started well but I'm beginning to feel like I might have picked a black n white stripped hitchhiker when leaving a river somewhere...

M

metalmania

Dude i'm still pumped:dance::lol:. Let us all pray for the skunk that just wen't to skunk heaven:pray:. Next time we'll get some clippers, and maybe i'll actually get something bigger than a jack to the bank.

:yay:

V

VagrantAngler

Who wants to hit it Weds AM? Can't be out too long gotta gear up for Thursday but I'm thinking a few hours on the Sandy would be great.

O

osmosis

Nice fish Ninja, Glad it finally happened!
On an actualy wild fish to boot! Those wild tules spawn mid river and are very cool fish.
CONGRATS!! :dance:

T

Troutier Bassier

Its always good to read a thread that says Homicide.
Nice Job, And on a TCO Too! Great job.

A

autofisher

RIGHT ON JIMMY! WAY TO GO BROTHER MAN!! So is the secret to the successful skunk removal having something bad happen? cause if so, i should be set and ready to go this week.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Congratulations!

Congratulations!

YEEEHAAAA!! GOOD FOR YOU JIMMY!! THAT IS A MILLION DOLLAR SMILE AND WORTH EVERY PENNY OF IT.
I AM PERMANENTLY GREEN,NOW....
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

B

bigdog

Ninja you did it man, good job. Keeper or no keeper man you know it was worth all the work and time you have put in. I'm sure that nook put up a good fight for you to. Nice work bud.

Now the true addiction starts. Bet we will see more of you out there now won't we? Be carfull people I think the world is coming to the end now.

B

Bohemian

Way to go! :clap::clap::clap:
I really enjoy reading detailed posts like yours with pictures. Excellent!

F

Fishydog

Way to go Jimmy! And who better to kill your skunk than a big old war wounded nate nook. I smell something fishy, oh that's you, congrats! See you out there.

J

just1nook

Finally! too bad it wasn't a keepah. you'll have one on the grill soon Ninja.

M

Markcanby

Good to hear you got that skunk dead Jimmy.:cool:

A

akangler

Congrats on the fish, nice post and pics.:clap:

F

fishsauce

A big CONGRATS to you! Always glad to see someone take out their skunk! It feels great doesn't it?

Top Bottom