Homer, AK trip

C_Run
C_Run
Not too much noteworthy fishing this year but we did make a trip to Alaska and went on a charter in Homer last week. We had never been to Alaska before so thought we better take full advantage of the opportunity. I had only fished halibut twice in Oregon at the "High Spot" off Cape Blanco where you drift in hundreds of feet of water with a three pound lead ball and pretty rough seas in my experience. This was quite different in that we anchored in 80' of water and hardly used any lead to get down all the while chumming to get the fish to "come to us" as the skipper put it. The pinks were running so we had to fish for them for bait first while we waited for the tide to change at the skippers secret hole. We were after six pinks for bait but the pesky coho showed up in numbers and we had some hot action until we finally got our bait. They let you keep them up there so it was a real bonus to get three fat coho. We set up and put the lines out and proceeded fishing with filets of pink salmon and I had a huge grub tipped with pink salmon. My grub proved to be the ticket early on. We fished with a Canadian family of four who had never fished before. The mom and small kids were kind of squeamish and standoffish so they farmed a few hooksets early. Eventually we were all getting fish and were able to hand the rods off to the kids a few times and let them share in the fun. Our three halibut were not huge like we had hoped but the Canadian kid hooked one he couldn't handle, gave it to the deckhand who handed it off to the dad. It was 90#, the biggest of the day. We want to go next year!

• photo31611.jpg
  • photo31612.jpg
  • photo31613.jpg
  • photo31614.jpg
Reactions: Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, do they cut the coho across the tail to help get the blood out?

C_Run
C_Run
rogerdodger;n606384 said:
excellent, do they cut the coho across the tail to help get the blood out?

That was just to mark whose were whose since they were all going in the same box. I'd have been happy to take some pinks home too but we used them all up for chum and bait.

hobster
hobster
Sounds like a great time! Someday i'll make it to Alaska.................someday

M
montym
Ah, that is one bucket list item left unticked, for now! Nice report.

C_Run
C_Run
There was a lot of salmon fishing going on in the rivers, too. We saw people mainly fishing for sockeye/reds but also saw people catch chums, pinks, and silvers. You have to put your Oregon sensibilities aside and accept that everyone is flossing but that's the way it's done there and it's legal. A daily license is $25 and a week is $100 for nonresidents. The daily limits are pretty generous compared to here and the state raises or lowers it depending on conditions.

Reactions: BaldTexan