Homemade Jigs

F
Fishtopher
So my wife brought home some arts and craft set the other day. My little girl comes up to me while im cleaning out a tackle box and asks me to play art with her. Just so happens I had a pack of plain jigs in my hand. Two hours later and I had a few fishy lookin jigs and a few crazy lookin jigs.

Opinions anyone???

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
Honestly I'd imagine they would work well. I've never used brown for jig bodies, but that dosen't mean anything other than I've never tried them.

F
FishSchooler
Wow, that simple, pipe cleaner for body, feathers for tail hairs, and a jig... What holds it together? That is a brilliant idea... Your smart... :D

F
Fishtopher
FishSchooler said:
Wow, that simple, pipe cleaner for body, feathers for tail hairs, and a jig... What holds it together? That is a brilliant idea... Your smart... :D

It's not a pipe cleaner, same thing without the wire. And I used hot glue(carefully!).

F
FishFinger
are they tough? usually the test is trying to pull to twist them apart

C
chris61182
I wouldn't recommend using pipe cleaners, I attempted that several years ago and the results were not nearly as good as just using plain chenille yarn.

F
FishSchooler
Wouldnt hot glue give off an odor that would make a fish high? :lol:

H
Hawk
Back in 1989 i met a man from Soquel, CA that made his own jigs. He had just caught a 66lb+ oz Striped Bass with one of his jigs, on his bassboat. That was at San Luis reservoir Forebay i n Ca. At that time i heard it was the record weight Striper caught in freshwater.......................................:D:D:D................................:cool:

1aB
"Fishtopher" your jigs look like they might provoke an aggressive reaction bite. Here's another more natural color approach from my jig mentor in PA. A few strands of flash filament like shown might enhance your own ties.

F
FishFinger
DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0124.jpg

DSCN0107.jpg

DSCN0105.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

1aB
"Fishfinger", I like the reverse egg sucker pattern, is that an egg sh**ing leech? How is the trailing bead attached? The jig hook looks nicely sturdy & sharp, what kind is it? Does the twisted flash work better for you than straight? When do you fish pink and when black? Think your signature could also have "bead me".

F
Fishtopher
:(None of that stuff came in my daughters art set...;)

F
FishSchooler
mind sending one or two of those to me? :D

F
Fishtopher
Any other opinions/thoughts on the colour brown for hatchery fish?

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
I wonder if i could get that hatchery food from bonneville dam... one quarter gets you a handful, then crush them up and add water and some garlic and velveeta, and flour, boom, I got meself some killer trout bait...

H
Hawk
You can buy by the pound brown floating or sinking fish food pellets at the Grange COOP...................:D.............................mainly food for trout.

1aB
"Fishtopher", hows about getting the jigs wet and posting a report?

B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:
So my wife brought home some arts and craft set the other day. My little girl comes up to me while im cleaning out a tackle box and asks me to play art with her. Just so happens I had a pack of plain jigs in my hand. Two hours later and I had a few fishy lookin jigs and a few crazy lookin jigs.

Opinions anyone???
I think they look good and I think the ones you had with you on friday looked good to. Got me thinking I might try making some jigs now to never really have done much jig fishing yet but thinking of starting to now

1aB
"Fishtopher", thanks for the report. Sorry for the late reply, been very bizzy. If any of your jigs work, I'd be interested.

M
Mike123
1aB said:
"Fishfinger", I like the reverse egg sucker pattern, is that an egg sh**ing leech? How is the trailing bead attached? The jig hook looks nicely sturdy & sharp, what kind is it? Does the twisted flash work better for you than straight? When do you fish pink and when black? Think your signature could also have "bead me".

Over The Edge Tackle has an identical jig called the "dingleberry".
It does work on some steelhead. :)