Homemade carp bait

Ok. So I loooove carp fishing, especially for the fight they put up. I have experimented with MY HOMEMADE bait and I finally got the best ingredients and directions.

To make the bait, you will need: Yellow Corn flour, White Flour, water, sugar, peanut butter, and original shredded wheat cereal.

1. Pour 2 cups of yellow corn flour in a large plastic container.
2. Pour 1 cup of white flour.
3. Add half a cup of sugar.
4. Mix together with a wooden spoon, or your hands.
5. Gradually add water until you can roll the mixture into a ball.
6. Put a pan of water on the stove to boil.
7. Make tiny balls from the mixture, or tiny cubes (preferred) and submerge them in the boiling water.
8. After every five minutes, stir, so the cubes or balls don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Careful not to break them into pieces.
9. After 45-60 minutes of boiling on low heat, remove them from the water. DON'T THROW THE WATER OUT!
10. Cut every piece in half and squeeze/crush them together one by one. Add the water you used to boil the mixture to combine while you are crushing them to soften them a bit, and so they would stick together kinda like Powerbait.
11. After you have done that, add about a full spoon, or two, of peanut butter and mix with your hands.
12. It will soften dramatically so that it feels like it won't resist a cast. 13.When you go to the river/lake, bring the shredded wheat and the soft mixture with you. 14. Combine the shredded wheat with the soft, yellow, mixture until it hardens so that it will stay on the hook well. (If you smell it, it will smell great!) 15. Roll a piece into a small ball onto your hook. 16. Cast and catch! -I will post a picture of the 22 pound carp I caught using this bait. --FYI, Carp fishing on the Columbia really fires up between june and December. Get Fishing!;):D P.S., I wear a size 10 in shoes.

Homemade carp bait

Homemade carp bait

Reactions: bass
bass
bass
Thanks for the recipe. I grew up doing a lot of carp fishing and we used two much simpler recipes.

1. We would boil some water and flavorings (jello, tobasco, salt, sugar,etc) and then add cornmeal until it thickened. Just slowly add and stir. If the dough came out too soft we would add a bit of flour. If too stiff add some water.

2. Carefully bring some salted milk to a boil. Add wheat germ until it thickens into a good dough. I have had more success with this recipe out here in Oregon than the cornmeal. I usually don't add flavor to this, but sometimes I would add maple syrup.

Both of the above only take about 5-10 minutes to cook. The key that comes with practice is getting a nice consistency. You want as soft as possible that will stay on while you cast. I like the fact that you adjust yours on the water. That is a really great idea. Next time I go out I will bring some wheaties with me in case the dough is too soft.

Thanks again!

H
HootYeah
So first off I'd like to start with telling you that I'm from Texas. Second off I'd like to tell you that you're wasting your time. If these fish are remotely similar to the carp in Texas all you need is a box of corn flakes and a can of Big Red cola. Mix to desired consistency. FISH ON!:cool:

B
burlajohnny
i would be wasting my time if I use your bait. I've tried everything for carp. This method has the peanut butter, wheat, sugar, and cornmeal smells all combined, and releases scent in the water. I don't catch carp on the Columbia faster with any different bait.

H
HootYeah
You've used this before?

B
burlajohnny
actually yes. I even used bread by itself, worms, lures, everything. Well for carp obviously. this bait has the smell and texture to it. You will see for yourself if you make some. Big carp don't catch easy. The more concentrated and thought your bait is, the more better you catch. You won't catch big with cheap.

H
HootYeah
I'll see if I can find some pics of when I was a kid and the monster carp and cat fish we would catch out of Braunig and Calaveras lakes in texas, then we can talk about what's more better. But as long as your catchin' the fish you want then life is good! :)

B
burlajohnny
Listen my friend, I don't want to embarrass you, but this is a Columbia river thread. Not a lake thread. Obviously if you're in a lake, you catch bigger carp because they have nowhere to go. In the river, carp are constantly moving, and it's hard to get a monster 40 pounder + because they are constantly moving, and they are almost in the middle of the river. That is, if you fish off shore like I do. You cannot compare lakes with rivers. Pay more attention next time and don't bring that negative reputation with you on a secret tip I wanted to share with other people. Thank you. Have fun fishing for carp in lakes. This bait was for carp in rivers, that's why its in the Columbia river section. Thank you. :confused:

M
MattZ
this seems a lot of effort for garbage fish. you could just put a worm or bug on your hook. I have stooped to fishing for carp when i was in africa with no other fish around. I got them on small nymphs on my fly rod.

Reactions: TTFishon
B
burlajohnny
first of all, it's not garbage fish. second of all, cut carp is the best catfish bait ever. That's why most people fish for them.

F
flocaster
Don't forget about crab bait, carp make great crab bait!

B
burlajohnny
true that!;)

I
Ifishforfood
hey johnny, where do you fish on the Columbia? I don't need an exact location, I was just wondering if it was near Portland, Gresham, or upstream. ive been trying to catch the Columbia carp for a long time with worms and sometimes corn with little success. ive only caught 2 carp with worms in the big C, but that's it. id be willing to try your bait my man

B
burlajohnny
Alright man i will pm you...btw, one time we caught 8 in one day!

T
Troutier Bassier
Can you PM me too? I would like to know

F
flocaster
Same here please

F
Flapslapper
The best carp killer I have ever used was a can of corn (drained) in a zip-loc bag with a box of strawberry Jell-O. Throw a big handful out in a wide area for chum, then put 2-3 pieces on a #8 Gamakatsu hook with a sliding sinker and drop it in the middle of the chum zone. Cheap hooks that small are easily straightened out, so a pricey brand is a must. Hook size has proven to be more important than the bait used, IME. The small hooks make it past the sensitive lips much more easily. Carp will feel the larger hooks and drop the bait before you ever knew they were there.

H
halibuthitman
John montana catches them on a red piece of string and some old feathers.. Just sayin

B
burlajohnny
Flapslapper said:
The best carp killer I have ever used was a can of corn (drained) in a zip-loc bag with a box of strawberry Jell-O. Throw a big handful out in a wide area for chum, then put 2-3 pieces on a #8 Gamakatsu hook with a sliding sinker and drop it in the middle of the chum zone. Cheap hooks that small are easily straightened out, so a pricey brand is a must. Hook size has proven to be more important than the bait used, IME. The small hooks make it past the sensitive lips much more easily. Carp will feel the larger hooks and drop the bait before you ever knew they were there.

yeah....but that works only for ponds or lakes. This, my friend, is the Columbia river, and it has current.

G
Gannon
kayaker here down for a good fish fight. Want to let me on the spot?