Homeade spinners

brandon4455
brandon4455
i'm looking to start making my own spinners so where do i start out. they will be for mainly for tossing to big cutthroat in fast flowing water and ill make a few for some salmon and steelhead. i need somwhere i can get a decent amount of parts for around 30-40 bucks any input is apppriciated i need some help getting started with this. it looks like fun

brandon

G
GMR
Fishermanshack is a good place to start.

brandon4455
brandon4455
GMR said:

thanks for the relpy ill look into it. tight lines,

brandon

C
CFishRun
BC Angling Post. They've got the tools, material and know how to get you rolling, or spinning rather.

troutdude
troutdude
Brandon,

I have a copy of Jed Davis's book, that I'll be happy to loan to you. It is the BIBLE for making and correctly using your own spinners. Jed is a fellow Oregonian (or at least he was, the last time that I heard anything).

Also...Don Green @ Fishermans Shack is an AWESOME shop owner and fellow fisherpeep. I bought my first spinner components and design kit from Don, about 25 years ago. Don will treat you respectfully, and will genuinely go great lengths to help you get started. Plus, he is well versed w/ Jed's designs and techniques. And his prices are pretty good too.

He is located on Hwy. 99W, about 10 miles south of Monmouth (turn right onto Airlie road...metal sided building w/ farm irrigation stuff too). So, you are close to his shop. Plus, you can check out his products online here: Top Sellers.

Good luck w/ your new endeavor. It's a LOT of fun (and did I mention ADDICTIVE? LOL).

A
Anyfishisfine
GMR said:

I placed a large order with him last week and received it in about 2 days. He even gave me a bunch of sample bodies.

G
GMR
Fishermanshack is really top notch and his selection tops all.
He had it all instock and plenty of it.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Brandon,

I have a copy of Jed Davis's book, that I'll be happy to loan to you. It is the BIBLE for making and correctly using your own spinners. Jed is a fellow Oregonian (or at least he was, the last time that I heard anything).

Also...Don Green @ Fishermans Shack is an AWESOME shop owner and fellow fisherpeep. I bought my first spinner components and design kit from Don, about 25 years ago. Don will treat you respectfully, and will genuinely go great lengths to help you get started. Plus, he is well versed w/ Jed's designs and techniques. And his prices are pretty good too.

He is located on Hwy. 99W, about 10 miles south of Monmouth (turn right onto Airlie road...metal sided building w/ farm irrigation stuff too). So, you are close to his shop. Plus, you can check out his products online here: Top Sellers.

Good luck w/ your new endeavor. It's a LOT of fun (and did I mention ADDICTIVE? LOL).

sweet. that sounds cool i can't wait to get started. it looks like a lot of fun. and the feeling of catching fish on homade lures is awesome i vbet. ps: we need to go fishing again :) all the best,

brandon

F
FishSchooler
Yes, but when you are looking for green 6mm plastic beads, green beads are green beads :)

troutdude
troutdude
Point noted. Not one shop can be all things, to all fisherpeeps. So, options are good.

F
FishSchooler
Last time I went to Michaels, I saw beads of all colors, faceted beads, even metallic beads

then you can also get yarn, pompoms (fake eggs?), all kinds of plastic jewel things, eyes for lures, glues, wire maybe?, tubing, etc