Hollow bell bodies vs. solid brass bodies.

M
Modest_Man
Just doing some research for my next batch of home made spinners. These will be size #4 for steelhead and salmon. Wondering how many of you make spinners with the hollow bell bodies like Blue Fox's have? I can find all sorts of solid bodies on the internet but not much on the hollow bodies. Not sure if they work better or not, but they're sure harder to find.

A
Anyfishisfine
I was wondering the same. Thanks for asking the question.

I've got Jed's spinner book showing up at any moment via UPS (he is way late, and and the anticipation is unbearable). Your threads and coho have me thinking spinners again.

M
Modest_Man
I got the book yesterday and am sitting at the table taking notes right now. Unfortunately, I've seen absolutely no reference to the Blue Fox type bodies with the rattle. I can't even find a place online that sells the hollow bell bodies?

M
Modest_Man
Cool, thanks. One more thing to figure out I guess.

I need to figure out the weight of both the hollow bell body and the hex bead combined and compare it to what I think the body should weigh (about 9/32 an ounce I think?), along with what size hex bead fits inside which body.

M
metalmania
B.c angling post has all the parts you'll need to make bell body spinners. You can order them online or pick them up at the store in gladstone. I personally only use bell bodies for coho in slow to medium speed water, or in shallow water. For everything else I use solids as there cheaper and have better weight.

A
Anyfishisfine
Modest_Man said:

I need to figure out the weight of both the hollow bell body and the hex bead combined and compare it to what I think the body should weigh (about 9/32 an ounce I think?), along with what size hex bead fits inside which body.

Sacrifice a couple Blue Foxes and weigh the components.

B
beaverfan
metalmania said:
B.c angling post has all the parts you'll need to make bell body spinners. You can order them online or pick them up at the store in gladstone. I personally only use bell bodies for coho in slow to medium speed water, or in shallow water. For everything else I use solids as there cheaper and have better weight.[/QUOTE

Coho do seem to really love blue fox's

M
Modest_Man
I've owned maybe 6 Blue Fox's in my life and as of now they're all on the bottom of the river. :( I also don't have a scale near sensitive enough for weights this small.

As for B.C. Angling post, I was there a week ago but didn't see much in the way of the bell bodies. I probably missed them. And looking at his website it's terrible trying to find anything.

M
metalmania
Modest_Man said:

I use a 3/16 in brass bead instead of the hex, as it adds a bit more weight, there cheaper and the coho don't seem to care at all. The weight doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to weight enough to get down to where the fish are. I have some that are very light for shallow water, and some that are heavier for a bit deeper water.

M
metalmania
Modest_Man said:
I've owned maybe 6 Blue Fox's in my life and as of now they're all on the bottom of the river. :( I also don't have a scale near sensitive enough for weights this small.

As for B.C. Angling post, I was there a week ago but didn't see much in the way of the bell bodies. I probably missed them. And looking at his website it's terrible trying to find anything.

There probably out of painted bodies, but they usually have tons of brass and copper bodies. The bodies definitly don't need to be painted, although it helps sometimes.

M
Modest_Man
Three sixteenth inch brass bead inside what size body?

M
metalmania
Modest_Man said:
Three sixteenth inch brass bead inside what size body?

F
FishSchooler
...and they don't have bell bodies, hexes, or sleeves online yet. They said they'll put them up during the winter...

K
Kelkay
I want to make the same type of lure. Also the Mepps XD in size 3. I haven't seen the exact bell body yet though.

M
Modest_Man
Thanks for that, I actually looked at the catalog but didn't go down far enough, I just looked through the brass bodies since I figured it would be in there.

What is the purpose of the connection sleeve in the spinner photo? Also, is the brass lure body necessary above the bearing and below the celvis? Seems to be unnecessary unless you need more weight?

So say for a size #4 lure that I want to weigh somewhere around .35 ounces give or take I'd probably go with the 1/2 size? What is up with the sizes on these bodies, it's pretty confusing. I figured as well that the 1/2 size would be half an ounce, much too large but it really weighs .214 ounces.

R
rickman
The connection sleeve is to position the brass ticker so that it hits the bottom of the bell body. You can use brass beads instead of the sleeve to space the ticker. Some builders use a glass bead for a different "sound" instead of the brass ticker. The brass lure body could be used for added weight and to properly position the blade. You want the blade to extend to at least the bottom of the main lure body and some say to the bottom eye of your wire.

Last edited:
B
Brookiebuster
You should go talk to Don at the Fishermans Shack south of Monmoth. He's loaded with info and is a real help to spinner makers.

K
Kelkay
Does anyone know what the size 3 Mepps XD spinner bell weight is, by any chance? It is awful light, so I believe it is a hollow body...just not sure about the weight. Don't these lures also have a connection sleeve to them? The ones at Lure Parts Online are not the same. Also the ones at Lakeland are close, but not sure they are the same either.

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
Brookiebuster said:
You should go talk to Don at the Fishermans Shack south of Monmoth. He's loaded with info and is a real help to spinner makers.

Tried that a couple weeks ago. Drove almost an hour there only to find out that he's not open on Wed or Thursday. Would have been nice to have that on their website...

C
Coho Kid
The cost of the lakeland bodies as well as the bodies from BC angling post per lure are too expensive for my taste.