Holiday levity. Different meanings to common things.

G
Growbug
To go after a fish with a nice bugger is a completely different meaning in the UK than it is in the US.

O
OnTheFly
Growbug said:
To go after a fish with a nice bugger is a completely different meaning in the UK than it is in the US.

LOL. Is there such thing as a nice bugger?
Don't ever ask for a Napkin in New Zealand. A Nappy is a diaper.

troutdude
troutdude
Oh sure there is. I have lots of nice woolly bugger's. <sorry, just HAD to go there...LOL>.

You also would want to REFRAIN from giving a "thumbs up" down under...or, you might get knocked on your arse!

P.S. Shrimp on the Bar B; really means all other meats and NOT shrimp. Go figure.

G
Growbug
Yeah... and it may be a nice area just outside Lake Oswego, but in most "commonwealth countries" (canada, UK, Aussies,etc)... no-one would want to live in Wankers Corner

G
Growbug
I also had a major problem with my colloquialisms when i came over here.
I was in a store once and turned to my friend and informed him that he was a 'cunny funt' (or actually the correct phrase).... the whole store stopped and went quiet..

G
Growbug
and over here you don't "knock someone up to go fishing", you would at least call them first.
(knock knock wake up..)

O
OnTheFly
It's ok to say "I need a fag" in the UK.

G
GDBrown
OnTheFly said:
LOL. Is there such thing as a nice bugger?
Don't ever ask for a Napkin in New Zealand. A Nappy is a diaper.

Canada is similar only it's a adult woman's hygene product if you get my drift. They are still a between the legs product. LOL

G
Growbug
troutdude said:
Shrimp on the Bar B; really means all other meats and NOT shrimp. Go figure.

Been friends with a few Aussies and Kiwi's and yeah, I had noticed that.. they will tell you to "come around and we'll throw a few shrimp on the barbie"

This has nothing to do with shrimp... Never actually seen any shrimp that looked like that.
I believe its an Aussie code word. Shrimp always = big ass fat steak so large that you would think its mother was rogered by Crocodile Dundee.. plus, I think that they raise steaks a LOT thicker 'down under' as the outside needs to get all charred before the inside is even slightly cooked.
Oh.. and no, there is no plastic girls toy that gets burnt either.

G
Growbug
troutdude said:
Oh sure there is. I have lots of nice woolly bugger's. <sorry, just HAD to go there...LOL>..

back in the UK there were such things as "welsh jokes".. these always involved shephards and their lonely lives with sheep. Now, doesn't a Woolly Bugger have a nice meaning.

----------------

For instance... and this one is rather tame.

"Why do Welsh Sheep Herds all wear high rubber boots?"
"Cos it gives them somewhere to shove the sheeps back legs so it can't run away"

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Growbug said:
Now, doesn't a Woolly Bugger have a nice meaning.

ROTFL! I've been to NZ enough times for this to sound Extremely funny to me. Good one Rob.:lol:

troutdude
troutdude
I've thoroughly enjoyed all of your comments GB!

Not to hijack, but I am dying in anticipation of this weekend's new Dr. Who episode!!!!

Now, I'd better go check my boot for my tools, and then pop me bonnet. I heard some knockin' today...and it weren't boots.

O
OnTheFly
Oye! Reach in the Chilly Bin and hand me a beer Mate!

G
Growbug
troutdude said:
Not to hijack, but I am dying in anticipation of this weekend's new Dr. Who episode!!!!
Me too...

his new companion, Amy Pond, a Scottish Red head Stripper (kissagram)... thats gotta be a whole new world of trouble.

G
Growbug
OnTheFly said:
ROTFL! I've been to NZ enough times for this to sound Extremely funny to me. Good one Rob.:lol:

There is something extremely strong about childhood associations etc... I was raised on all the Welsh Jokes, etc so when i came over here and started fishing, someone introduced me to a Woolly Bugger and i almost wet myself laughing. I have never been able to get the picture out of my head. Every time i hear the phrase, I see a Welsh Joke in my head, but, overall its not that baaaaad