Hmmmm got driftnets?

H
halibuthitman
Its quite interesting that 11 months ago 95% of Japans north pacific drift fleet was demolished in a Tsunami... and androminous fish runs have been astonishing ever since.. hmmmmm couldn't have anything to do with this:think: I have seen more fish in the lewis and clarke river than I ever have, the N fork Nehalem has been ridiculous, I had a 16 fish day on gnat creek, big creek was almost stupid with how simple it was to catch a fish, 3 steel in 5 casts... where does that happen? and several more undercover creeks and rivers have been banging as well. so im gonna make some predictions, the springer return to the willy will be 20% higher than forecast.. The john day and big D will see the biggest summer returns in 35 years.. and the cowlitz will be simply mind boggling... you can make fun of me if im wrong... but I think we will soon see WHO is actually getting all of our fish, wait until one cycle of coho comes in... we,ll see- Good fishing- Brad

S
SantiamDrifter
I've been saying the same thing. I wont start on my feelings towards the people across the sea, I would get banned from site's in all 50 states! But man oh man, If I could put a stop to what they do!!

R
rippin fish lips
I agree with your predictions on the willy river springers. 20% higher then last year or the years before. I also think that the mckenzie river will be one of those rivers that will have some of the biggest summer steelhead return in years. Last year, steel were running into my legs as they got spooked by other fisherman. I also think the mckenzie, will be one of the bigger producers for summer steel this year. I am ready!

H
halibuthitman
SantiamDrifter said:
I've been saying the same thing. I wont start on my feelings towards the people across the sea, I would get banned from site's in all 50 states! But man oh man, If I could put a stop to what they do!!

you don't have to put a stop to it, apparently mother nature feels the same as you, oh and the 65 nations that have banned the use of offshore drift nets.... the real kicker is that the very shipyards needed to rebuild their fleets met the same fate.. and no one wants to sell them boats. I prayed for the people hurt, killed or affected by this horrible dissaster but its hard not to be a little happy they are out of business, the Japanese drift fleet will never be rebuilt to its pre tsunami glory... oh darn-

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
Its quite interesting that 11 months ago 95% of Japans north pacific drift fleet was demolished in a Tsunami... and androminous fish runs have been astonishing ever since.. hmmmmm couldn't have anything to do with this:think: I have seen more fish in the lewis and clarke river than I ever have, the N fork Nehalem has been ridiculous, I had a 16 fish day on gnat creek, big creek was almost stupid with how simple it was to catch a fish, 3 steel in 5 casts... where does that happen? and several more undercover creeks and rivers have been banging as well. so im gonna make some predictions, the springer return to the willy will be 20% higher than forecast.. The john day and big D will see the biggest summer returns in 35 years.. and the cowlitz will be simply mind boggling... you can make fun of me if im wrong... but I think we will soon see WHO is actually getting all of our fish, wait until one cycle of coho comes in... we,ll see- Good fishing- Brad
I think it's You!!:protest:

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Interesting idea, I hope you're right!

I don't know if I buy that 95% of their fleet was destroyed though, wasn't the tsunami kind of limited to one area?

And more steelhead because of fewer drift nets, I doubt it since steelhead aren't targeted much in the ocean.

E
eugene1
found this on wiki about the tsunami:

A total of 319 fishing ports, about 10% of Japan's fishing ports, were damaged in the disaster.

so, probably not affecting their take very much.

H
halibuthitman
eugene1 said:
found this on wiki about the tsunami:

A total of 319 fishing ports, about 10% of Japan's fishing ports, were damaged in the disaster.

so, probably not affecting their take very much.
in just one northern port 80% of their off shore fleet was destroyed... oh, and im not wikipedia but since I sell 8 million pounds of seafood worldwide and Japan is my biggest market, and last year was the biggest year for me in my career I can assure you japans proffesional corprate fishing industry is in shambles.. it has made a huge impact.. out of japans fishing ports only 2% even export their product out of their province and most of the fishermen rarely get out of sight of land...

H
halibuthitman
eugene1 said:
Interesting idea, I hope you're right!

I don't know if I buy that 95% of their fleet was destroyed though, wasn't the tsunami kind of limited to one area?

And more steelhead because of fewer drift nets, I doubt it since steelhead aren't targeted much in the ocean.

steelhead are in the top 5 by catch fish in ALL north pacific net fisheries with the exeption of pelagic trawl... seiners and gillnetters slay them in southeast, and illegal driftnetters who have been coast gaurd seized have had thousands of pounds of salmon and steelhead in their freezers... driftnets aren't designed to target anything in particular... tuna, salmon, porpoise... they eat it all-

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Good points, halibut.

I'm getting more excited now!

G
GDBrown
So does this mean my chances of actually boating a fish will be better or does it still require skill and luck, 'cause I seem to be out of both at the moment! :lol:

F
FishFiddle
Pretty sad when we get all hackled up around here for someone miss-handling or inadvertently killing a single fish in sport when we have no control over the oceans and for that matter even the Columbia. Thanks Brad for the reminder.