Hmm, fish of 1,000 casts?

C
ChezJfrey
Or $1,000.00?

After my earlier thread where I mentioned my 'arsenal' I got to thinking...I've gathered quite a bit of hardware in my quest for steelhead.

I now have a couple of Okuma Celilo's and an SST -- two set up for drifting, the other for spinners, a couple of Connoisseurs, with Michigan style handles, so the balance of the rod is close to the butt end where more of the rod length can be comfortably used for float fishing, an Avenger pier-style rod that is capable of launching heavier terminal tackle that I've used a few times for plunking on the Willamette.

So, when I get this steelhead, it'll have cost quite a bit of cash.

Do I need counseling? LOL!

B
beaverfan
Consider hiring a guide and learning as much as you can from them. Will save you a lot of money in the long run.

C
ChezJfrey
beaverfan said:
Consider hiring a guide and learning as much as you can from them. Will save you a lot of money in the long run.

I'll likely do that again...I learned a lot.

I'm sure I'm much better at figuring out what water likely holds fish, and what gear setups work better given each water situation, but there is obviously more to learn. And I'm sure some of what I need to figure out is also timing for approximately where more fish are in the particular system at a given moment and such.

I think I'm getting there...heck, I'm catching quite a few trout these days :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
I recently bought my 2nd okuma celilo rod. its a 9'6 lite action rod. can't wait to catch something nice on that.

when u are fishing are other people catching fish? if they are pay attention to how they fish. if they are nice ask a question.

C
ChezJfrey
Throbbit _Shane said:
I recently bought my 2nd okuma celilo rod. its a 9'6 lite action rod. can't wait to catch something nice on that.

when u are fishing are other people catching fish? if they are pay attention to how they fish. if they are nice ask a question.

Oddly enough, I don't see many others most of the time...maybe that's my problem? LOL!

I will say though, I've done some hiking around and discovered some places that I would swear has GOT to be good spots for fish...good flow, holding spots, cover in form of riffles or white water, deeper slots but with submerged boulder protection from overly strong current, seams, etc.

M
metalfisher76
Keep at it man! PM sent too.

S
SantiamDrifter
It gets worse, much worse. I fish 5 lamiglas and 2 G.Loomis rods all with Shimano reels. Plus a couple other cheaper rods but still with shimano's. Add in the drift boat, and new trailer coming up. Yikes!

C
ChezJfrey
SantiamDrifter said:
It gets worse, much worse. I fish 5 lamiglas and 2 G.Loomis rods all with Shimano reels. Plus a couple other cheaper rods but still with shimano's. Add in the drift boat, and new trailer coming up. Yikes!

Ouch! That's why I went Okuma...I could buy a more affordable bunch, but now what you're saying is I will keep the number of rods up and just start going up the performance scale...and into watercraft? I better start working on a salary negotiation :)

H
hawgin
It don't matter if its okuma or Lami you just gotta feel it...I would go with shimano for reels tho! I have caught more fish on my lamiglas tho?

M
Modest_Man
ChezJfrey said:
Oddly enough, I don't see many others most of the time...maybe that's my problem? LOL!

I will say though, I've done some hiking around and discovered some places that I would swear has GOT to be good spots for fish...good flow, holding spots, cover in form of riffles or white water, deeper slots but with submerged boulder protection from overly strong current, seams, etc.

Sounds like me! Though I'd rater get skunked out by myself with no one around than fight tooth and nail with other anglers for a fish. If you want to meet up and hike around PM.

S
skunk
Sounds very familiar. I finally decided I like the gear and such better than the fish! Otherwise I would think I have a serious addiction. Haha.

S
SALTYFISH
SantiamDrifter said:

Gosh that's a lot of rods to fish at once;) I think i could only manage 2 as i only have 2 hands myself;)