Hitting up the Siletz

J
jd15
going to the siletz this weekend, anybodie want to meet me there?

T
TTFishon
Good luck!!! I heard they're slayin em there right now.

J
jd15
yes they are ive hooked 5 so far and ive only fished it 2 times this year

J
jabs67
Good luck!!!!

D
DYJ
Where is the hatchery on the Siletz? I've never fished it but always wanted too.

Sunday we were planning a ride on the bikes... maybe I'll do a little recon and ride the Siletz hwy. By looking at Google maps it looks like a great ride.

J
jd15
its deffanitly good scenary, and im not sure where the hatchery is im gonna be fishishing up past moonshine

DYJ said:
Where is the hatchery on the Siletz? I've never fished it but always wanted too.

Sunday we were planning a ride on the bikes... maybe I'll do a little recon and ride the Siletz hwy. By looking at Google maps it looks like a great ride.

J
jd15
im going tomarrow if anyone wants to meet me there let me know

R
RunWithSasquatch
DYJ said:

Alsea hatchery does the rearing for the Siletz. No great bank access except above moonshine.

D
dtikey
DYJ said:

not real sure but I think on the falls just up from the conflunce of the forks they have a trap but I may be wrong.Way up past moonshine plumb2fish and I were thier exploreing winter fish and seen this spot and we walked around checking things out and this is what it appeared to be.If not hopefully someone with knowledge of this system can correct me.Also like sasquatch said heard Alsea does the fish for both winter and summer

S
steelhead_stalkers
The trap is below the Siletz/Valsetz falls. The river is closed to all fishing 900 feet below the falls! That's a great river to see how steelhead are line shy in clear water.

R
RunWithSasquatch
dtikey said:
not real sure but I think on the falls just up from the conflunce of the forks they have a trap but I may be wrong.Way up past moonshine plumb2fish and I were thier exploreing winter fish and seen this spot and we walked around checking things out and this is what it appeared to be.If not hopefully someone with knowledge of this system can correct me.Also like sasquatch said heard Alsea does the fish for both winter and summer

The trap is actually well below the Forks. Maybe as much as 5 miles below. You have to hike down through a clear-cut to reach the deadline, its about 10-11 +/- miles above moonshine. ODFW has a yellow notice attached to a stump along side of the road, with a small pull off located there. Its actually pretty easy to drive past. Located like S_S says, below the falls.... If you're looking for the falls from the road for a geographical marker.... you pretty well wont see it.

L
lilsalmon
So, next weekend I am going to Siletz for a family reunion....my cousin lives in town right on the river with some awesome steelhead water. I will be camping and of course fishing in between the fun stuff. Most of us know that I usually target trout but have caught a lot of steel, mostly on trout flies. What I am saying is that I am kind of ignorant to "normal" steelhead fishing. Are the levels good right now? Last time we were there it was really high and raining and didn't catch a thing. As we were loading our stuff in the car a guy in a drift boat caught a nice one right by where we were fishing....grrrrr. With gear of course. hmmmmm.....:think:not sure what my question is but any input would be helpful. :D

J
jd15
right now the water is low and clear

lilsalmon said:
So, next weekend I am going to Siletz for a family reunion....my cousin lives in town right on the river with some awesome steelhead water. I will be camping and of course fishing in between the fun stuff. Most of us know that I usually target trout but have caught a lot of steel, mostly on trout flies. What I am saying is that I am kind of ignorant to "normal" steelhead fishing. Are the levels good right now? Last time we were there it was really high and raining and didn't catch a thing. As we were loading our stuff in the car a guy in a drift boat caught a nice one right by where we were fishing....grrrrr. With gear of course. hmmmmm.....:think:not sure what my question is but any input would be helpful. :D

J
jd15
hooked 2, landing one native

L
lilsalmon
jd15 said:
right now the water is low and clear

That's what I hear....

G
GTappan
Thinking of fishing either the mouth or at Coyote Rock from the bank looking for salmon, have you heard of any being caught?
Thanks Greg

P
plumb2fish
RunWithSasquatch said:
The trap is actually well below the Forks. Maybe as much as 5 miles below. You have to hike down through a clear-cut to reach the deadline, its about 10-11 +/- miles above moonshine. ODFW has a yellow notice attached to a stump along side of the road, with a small pull off located there. Its actually pretty easy to drive past. Located like S_S says, below the falls.... If you're looking for the falls from the road for a geographical marker.... you pretty well wont see it.

We hiked down to the river in the clear cut, but it was fairly high so we could only get a few 100 feet up stream or down stream....there was a spur rd with a locked gate that went down to the falls itself...we never did see the "trap" but did see the cable car and walk way there to access it....too bad, we weren't odfw and didn't want to get into trouble for trespassing....

R
RunWithSasquatch
GTappan said:
Thinking of fishing either the mouth or at Coyote Rock from the bank looking for salmon, have you heard of any being caught?
Thanks Greg

Ive seen pictures of 25-30 nookers from there already... 3 from today. And zero of those were caught from the bank.

G
GTappan
Thanks I will let you know if I make it out.

L
lilsalmon
I am heading out in the morning. Hope I catch some fish. I am unfamiliar with the Siletz but at least there will be poker and ale...hehe. Oh and relatives since it is a reunion. I just hope I am related....jk