Hitting the Willy tomorrow

R
Redfox458
I think the girl and I will hit the Willy tomorrow (I'll try to launch at Meldrum) and see what I can pull out of the river. I know there will be LOTS of boats out there, so I'm hoping for a super early start. In case the river under the falls becomes a parking lot, anybody know of a good launch spot to fish right above the falls??

V
VagrantAngler
Shouldn't be too bad as there will be plenty of folk hitting the last day of the Columbia being open.

R
Redfox458
VagrantAngler said:
Shouldn't be too bad as there will be plenty of folk hitting the last day of the Columbia being open.

Well lets hope it stays that way!!

O
OnTheFly
Hey Rick! I don't believe a lot of salmon fishing goes on above the falls by the town of Willamette. But if you want to check it out anyway, and you're putting in at Meldum, go through the locks. It's kind of interesting and it's free. Another launch is in Willamette and to get there take I205 s. and get off at 10th, turn left then find your way to the park on the river.

R
Redfox458
OnTheFly said:
Hey Rick! I don't believe a lot of salmon fishing goes on above the falls by the town of Willamette. But if you want to check it out anyway, and you're putting in at Meldum, go through the locks. It's kind of interesting and it's free. Another launch is in Willamette and to get there take I205 s. and get off at 10th, turn left then find your way to the park on the river.

Thanks Jim! Good to hear from you again! I've never actually been through the locks, that might be kind of cool to experience.

I watched all the boats fish on the Willamette, only saw one hook up. I've got my fingers crossed, would be nice to finally hook into a big one!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Good luck man I'm gonna join the boat parade on the Columbia tomorrow and maybe a bit lower on the Willamette if the cards play out right.

S
SpencerWatts
yea on the 17th it was a MAD HOUSE! haha im a bass fisherman myself and i have hooked up on to VERRY nice 23lbs an 27lbs springers in two days. thats crazy if i say so myself!! one was on a dry creek tube and another on a chrome rattle trap with a blue back. the springers arent even as thick as they will be! and some of u effers who r sittin in hog lines in the middle of the river need to know that us bassers are going to fly by u!!! its A BIG RIVER!!!!!!!!! i try to dodge the hog lines when im not fishing a tourney but when i am im gonna haul ass. u gotta realize that we bassers wish a much different style than salmon. i was raised as a salmon/ steelhead fisherman so ik how u get mad. but becoming a bass fisherman we get mad at u guys for flipping us off. im not one of those guys who goes 10 feet from ur boat. i swing around. i fish the island right accrossed from fishermans in Oregon city. look for an older red bass type boat with a 150 mercury =) good luck guys

R
Redfox458
Went out with the girl, and it was a bust. Saw two caught out of at least 70 boats...and that was between the falls and the 205 bridge. After meeting a few A holes and having some anchor difficulties, we called it a day. I went back to Meldrum around 1pm and two boats followed me in, both had limited out. I know this is fishing and not catching, but still. Not gonna give up! Going back out Sunday the 25th, bright and early.

V
VagrantAngler
I know it can be hard to get the time OFF, but try to hit the river during the week. It will be SLIGHTLY less crowded with will deffinately help out. Caught two OFF the bulkhead this lat week. one 12# Springer and a nice Summer steelie about 8-9#. Almost lost the Steel to a sealion but a little quick net work from a buddy helped out. Good luck out there.