Hitting the Sandy 3/4

K
Kage
Got some tips from a coworker so hopefully I'll have a nice report tomorrow. Grabbed some spoons at Wholesale Sports off of the advice of the guy there. I've never used them before but am told it's similar to spinners which I'm very familiar with. He said everyone's been catching this year and he's already filled his tags which didn't make feel so great about my lack of catching. Anyways, I'm confident I'll have something to write about tomorrow.

F
Fishpdx
What kind of spoons?

K
Kage
Stee-Lee brand spoons in silver, bronze/copper (I can never tell the difference) and red with a white stripe down the center in 1/2 oz. Still have treble hooks on them, I was gonna switch them to siwash hooks.

Last edited:
C
chodathug
Good luck! Let us know how you did (or are doing) today! I'm probably hitting the Sandy tomorrow morning. Jigs and spinner have been working well for me the last few weeks. (Nightmare aeros & black/chartreuse blue fox)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Kage
Dead at Dabney, there were other people out there but didn't see anyone landing anything. Good luck tomorrow, It's discouraging hearing people catch yet I'm not even getting bites. I think I'm just not in the right spots along the Sandy.

C
chodathug
I hear ya..I went 15 trips in a row without a bite last year that was pretty discouraging. But keep it up man, eventually you'll find some good water and get some fish! Try higher up in the system too.

K
Kage
I definitely could branch out a bit more as to where I'm fishing. I was thinking of trying Dog Creek at McIver but I don't know exactly where that is there.

C
chodathug
Hitting the Sandy 3/4

Got a beat up native at Dodge park today. Might want to check that place out too!
2ae5b1e9650cd4cb52ddd714ae934902.jpg

Bit a nightmare areo with a green head.

Dog creek at Mciver is by the upper boat ramp in the park. Just stick to the right and then once you get to the boat ramp, it's off to the left. Park where the cars are at, then walk down the trail a little ways and you'll run right into it. There's definitely fish there but it's crowded sometimes. Good luck!

K
Kage
I fished Oxbow today and was heading home thinking of maybe stopping at Dodge but passed on it because I was tired and never seen a catch there. Sigh, they will continue to elude me.

M
Modest_Man
Don't chase reports and jump all over. Pick an area and learn it well. There are fish everywhere.

K
Kage
I've been given that advice and also have read it many times. The problem though is, how does one know if that spot is even a good area to fish. I think I've fished Dodge far more times than other places I've gone to but I've never gotten a bite. The only thing I've seen caught there was a suckerfish. I'm trying different techniques and all but nothing has worked so far. So I just go around the Sandy looking for different waters that may produce on any given day.

M
Modest_Man
If you don't feel confident reading the water then copy what others are doing. Watch them and fish like they fish, in the water they're fishing at the depth they're fishing (after they leave). Bobber and jig is a great beginner setup, easier to tell when it is fishing properly vs. spinners or spoons. Look for water that is walking speed and 3-6' feet deep as a general idea. Break the river down into smaller bits. Riffle, glide, pool, tailout. Fish the likely water then move. The hardest part is just finding the fish. They're dumb and bite most anything.

Watch videos on YouTube and watch the water guys are fishing. Look at speed, depth, clarity, and where they are putting their gear...

K
Kage
Generally what I see at Dodge is floating jigs on the far side of the river which I tend to do as well. I've tried spinners as well, that's how I lost tons of gear there BUT it also taught me how to properly fish spinners. I'll start casting closest to the bank and work my way out farther. Dodge would be where I'm most comfortable fishing but I haven't gotten any results there in 3 years. I'm fine with fishing the same spot if I had something to show for it. At this point maybe it's just my technique or lack of it.

S
Steel4life
If you like hitting the sandy, go to dabney. All my winters came from there on the sandy when I was living in ptown. Lots of bank access and a TON of great bobber water. But if you walk as far up as you can you get nice 3-5ft rapids where I caught a few on spinners as well. Above those rapids is a giant rock you can climb on and be into some more great bobber water above the rapids. The thing is you have to pay 5 dollars to park at dabney or buy the yearly pass.

K
Kage
Fished Dabney for the first time yesterday, came across a lot of open water devoid of surface structures. Tried spoons but no takers although I think I may have gotten a bite early on. Does floating work best for that long stretch? Other people were floating jigs and such. I'll try it out again, it was a nice change of scenery.

S
Steel4life
I have most of my success with jigs. But I catch fish on spinners and drifting as well. But I only had 2years fishing there and 90-95% of my steelies were bobber fishing that stretch. Nightmare jigs, pink worms, and a combo of pink and purple jigs. All in the 1/8oz size. When water was low and clear id us the same patterns with1/16 oz size. Great scenery. Have seen bald eagle there a handful of time. Once I ever got to see one snatch a trout out of the water.

K
Kage
Thanks for the advice, I'll hit that spot again but all my jigs are 1/2 oz. I haven't learned drift fishing yet but I'll look for info on that. Still got much to learn, I'm in my 7th year of fishing and not catching.

S
Steel4life
Your welcome. But as soon as you can go to the store and down size your jigs man. I only use 1/2oz for twitching jigs for coho in the fall. Drift fishing IMO isn't as effective as bobber fishing. It takes awhile to get the technique and chances are 50/50 when you hook a fish drift fishing.

K
Kage
When I went and got setup for fishing jigs the guy at the shop set me up with 1/2 oz jigs. I don't know if it was because of the time of year or what but I'll pick up a few lighter ones next chance I get. Now I'm excited to hit the water again. How long do you stick to a spot before you move on. I was told to go for 15 mins and move.

S
Steel4life
Yea idk 1/2oz is big even for winters lol but idk man depends. If it's new water I'm fishing I try to fish for at least 30mins. Before I change anything. Read the water look for the fishiest spot and fish it hard. Before you move spots change jigs. I will throw one jig for about 5-10mins and try a different one. So on and so forth till I get back to the one I started with. I've read and expericed that if the fish wants your presentation it'll take within the first 5 casts or so. That's why I'm Constantly changing jigs. But when in doubt nightmare series jigs are my go to. Now as for this time of the year. I'm sure a few fish are still moving up but my guess is this year's great run of steelies on the sandy is starting to wind down. So fishing higher in the system will probably present you with a better chance of getting into fish. Especially with all the fish they recycled this year. Maybe try tipping your jig with a little piece of shrimp when you go out. Scent makes a big difference while fishing for steelies.