Lakes Hills Creek Reservoir Fishing Reports

B
Bassman
no I have been to the ramp but I will be going up there Wednesday to check the ramp at Packard boat ramps

B
Bassman
Good morning Saturday25 I tried fishing at Packard boat ramp no bites the water was very . muddy from the rain ok I fish for two hr than bail out other people were putting their boats in the they said they have been doing pretty good trolling next Saturday I be trolling in my boat the winter bass should start biting good luck to all .

Reactions: Admin
4labs
4labs
so are they launching in the mud or is there pavement ? and what size boats ? 12ft alum and drift boats or 20 ft north rivers
went by CG and its super low but that's exactly what Troutski graph shows
Thanks

4labs
4labs
Made it to HCR today for the first time. Yes its realllly low but launching at the ramp is easy and on pavement. Saw 3 boats
We bank fished for the first time in 30yrs.
Caught 2 14" on powerbait(mouse tail) and a chrome crocodile
Only fin clipped rainbows are allowed to protect the bull trout. Got checkd by FG Trooper. Rumors of walleye
Make sure you turn on RD 21. I didn't and ended up in Deliverance Land
LOP is doable and saw boats on it
Water kinda green-brown vis about 3ft. Saw some big fish jumping mid lake
Plants start next week

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin
Oldhammer
Oldhammer
Hello All,
I went up to Hills creek on Sunday and launched my kayak at packard creek. Water was clear and fairly still. Fished that inlet and went across the lake to another inlet. I fished mice tails 16in off the bottom, cast a silver and orange Kastmaster along the shore, and trolled a mepps type wedding ring with power bait maggots on the hook. While trolling I was marking fish mainly around 30-50 ft. and I trolled various speeds from .5 up to 2 mph. Not a single bite between 9 and 1!! Any suggestions or thoughts? Reports here indicate it can be a productive fishery in Dec. and Jan. I would like that to be true for me! At least the others I talked to up there reported a similar outcome.

IMG_7726.JPG

Reactions: Troutski and Admin
Oldhammer
Oldhammer
After several successful trips to hcr over the past two months I went up after work and got skunked. One short strike in 3hours. Surface temp 56 outside temp 71. 4-5 ft. visibility. Figured this would be a quick limit. I threw all my previous winning presentations (cleos, streamers, flasher w/ gulp minnow) and got the one short strike on a naked wedding ring with worm. Wind from 5:30-6;30 was a real pain but the trip back to the ramp from 7-8 was still and serene...but no fish... Full moon fever?

Troutski
Troutski
Well its a fact you can't catch any fish from the couch... Now from this comes your record keeping, note all the spec's like: water temp, outside temp, over cast and wind. Keep a detailed record and after a few years you will start to see things that no one else does. A great rule of thumb is to try dark lures on dark days and bright lures on bright days. Contrast is one of a anglers best rule in a tackle box. When all else fails don't forget a Salmon Fly Rooster in the 1/4 oz size. Spinners catch the sun on bright days.
Glad you got out...

Chuck

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Troutski said:
A great rule of thumb is to try dark lures on dark days and bright lures on bright days.
Yep. One of the things that I learned from Jed Davis's book, when it came out in the mid 80's. I made my own spinners--according to Jed's designs--size 3 and all black. Even had black tubing over the hook shanks. Then had the best day of Fall Nook fishing EVER!!! With all black spinners on an overcast day!

Reactions: Troutski
Kfreese91
Kfreese91
Camped at Packard Creek last weekend. Pulled a couple little native rainbow out on power bait but nothing bit on flies or spinners. We just kept to the couple of coves within walking distance of our campground.

Reactions: Troutski, troutdude and Admin
Troutski
Troutski
Great to hear, next time try the back of the res where the Middle Fork enters. the larger Native fish tend to hold this time of year. when the water is very cold this time of year remember to slow your presentation down quite a bit. Nice picture for sure....
Thanks for sharing

Chuck

Kfreese91
Kfreese91
Troutski said:
Great to hear, next time try the back of the res where the Middle Fork enters. the larger Native fish tend to hold this time of year. when the water is very cold this time of year remember to slow your presentation down quite a bit. Nice picture for sure....
Thanks for sharing

Chuck
Thanks for the tip Chuck, we were looking for a spot back there but most of the ground looked pretty soggy, we weren't sure if it was safe to walk out there?

Oldhammer
Oldhammer
Kfreese91 said:
Camped at Packard Creek last weekend. Pulled a couple little native rainbow out on power bait but nothing bit on flies or spinners. We just kept to the couple of coves within walking distance of our campground.
I was up there with my son fishing the packard arm the first of May. Me, kayak trolling= lots of 12-15 in trout and 1 13in chinook. Son, still fishing in kayak= 0 bites, 0fish.

Reactions: Kfreese91
Troutski
Troutski
Kfreese91 said:
Thanks for the tip Chuck, we were looking for a spot back there but most of the ground looked pretty soggy, we weren't sure if it was safe to walk out there?
I must say your decision to Not Venture into the Mud was perfect. Unless you know what you are doing it can be very dangerous.
There are a few places that are reasonable, mostly on the east shore line from the mouth of the Middle Fork of the Willy. Most people do 90% of there angling from that side, very productive at times. If you can tell where the river water mixes with the lake water that is a great place to start your quest. Bank angling is never pleasant due to all the moving, but I can be very successful with the right weather. Hang in there and fell free to ask any angling question.

Tight Lines...

Chuck

Top Bottom