Hillbilly fishing

C

Cohosanders

The second fish is a monster:lol:

troutdude

troutdude

I've seen something similar on a fishing show. But, they were pulling them out of traps that they set out earlier in the day.

I'll bet they were snackin' on those cats for a few days!

C

Cohosanders

They call that Noodling. It can be very Dangerous.
:lol:
There is no mention of noodling, but I do not know the difference between that and catching fish with your bare hands.I once noodled a bull frog out of a hole on the side of a river!!!!!!!
I think these are traps they set underwater because they say something about boxes in the video(at least that is what I can decipher from the hillbilly jargon). Noodling is actually when they stick their hands down a hole and grab them out.....I think......or is it just fishing with your hands???....They have noodling contests and people use scuba gear(even though that is considered cheating). But yeah noodling is way dangerous and it seems really primitive unless that is the only way to eat. But if you are a hillbilly and bored enough you can do anything to pass the time!!!!

troutdude

troutdude

Coho, I think you may be right. I've seen TV shows, where the set traps and then return to remove them from those traps. But, then there are peeps that reach into underwater pockets (and that may be called Noodling).

BTW, how do noodlers know that they aren't going to grab a Water Mocassin or some other Viper???

T

troutmasta

Coho, I think you may be right. I've seen TV shows, where the set traps and then return to remove them from those traps. But, then there are peeps that reach into underwater pockets (and that may be called Noodling).

BTW, how do noodlers know that they aren't going to grab a Water Mocassin or some other Viper???
If it bites and lets go its not a catfish. So if its quick and hurts then its could be a water. Mochassin

B

bigdog

No matter what they call it there is no way I would stick my hand in one of them mouths :lol: That's just crazy stuff there.

CJ

troutdude

troutdude

I dunno if their mouths have teeth and can hurt ya. But, I'll be danged if I'd want one of their whiskers to poke me!

T

the_intimidator03

Just a little tid bit about catfish, They do have VERY strong jaws and i do believe they have an abrasive upper and lower pads similar to that of bass. It is like sand paper and CAN tear your arm up.

troutdude

troutdude

Thanks for the info. I've only caught cats up to maybe 14 or 15 inches. So, I've never needed to explore their innards with a bare hand.

T

the_intimidator03

well i do know for a fact a 12-15 inch bullhead can bite and make you bleed... gotta love daring stupid people to do stuff LMAO

H

halibuthitman

that video just made me move my copy of deliverance from the horror section... to the history/how too section!!! the truth is out there......

C

Cohosanders

Yo halibut!!!! How is Alaska treating you(dumb question)!!!!! You sher gotta perdy mouth:lol: Squeel like a pig:D:DAnyway I was watching river monster and that guy said he got a barb from a catfish stuck in his thumb and he had to have someone pull it out. Said it was the most excrutiating pain ever. The only way I would ever fish underwater would be with a sling spear. If I cannot see what I am doing there is now way to tell what lurks beneath.

troutdude

troutdude

Dunno how true this is; but I have heard rumors over the years--of cats and / or sturgeon large enough in some reservoirs to swallow and adult w/ no problem.

Who knows, maybe bigfeets has an underwater cousin?

A

adambomb

Just imagine sticking you hand in there and a 40lb snapping turtle taking off a couple fingers. I'll stick with my rod and reel thank you very much!!!