Hiking?! I need your input

J

JeannaJigs

I have entered the stage of my training where I need to be increasing my mileage to 7-10 miles a day. I'm looking for input on new places near Eugene/Springfield that I could explore (without getting shanked etc). I've been hiking the butte and mt pisgah, as well as all up and down the bike path, and I need a change of scenery. Walking around my neighborhood got old the first week.

Each week I will be increasing my mileage so any input on longer hikes is good too. I will be working up to 18 miles a day before my three day event.

C

chrisohm

Banned User
I am not sure about hiking possibilities in your area. I have a couple suggestions though.
1. Gradually increase the weight you are carrying. Water bottles or milk jugs work great. If it is too heavy just pour some out. Good stamina booster and gets those legs worked up!
2. Start off with flat hikes, then add in some elevation variations. By doing so and increasing the weight you are carrying it will help you in so many ways.

I hope this will help in some way, it worked when I was in Boy Scouts before we went on a 51 mile backpacking trip in New Mexico. This training went on for months before we had the big one. By the end of it we were hiking uphill for 3 miles straight and 80lbs on our backs. I have never been that "fit" since then.

T

TTFishon

There's some decent trails at Shotgun Creek Park. It costs 3 bucks to park there and the gate won't be open til after Memorial Day but you can park at the gate and walk in. The trails are well maintained and they go in a big circle so there's no real destination point with an awesome view but it's still a nice place for a hike. Here's a couple of pics from last year. shot11.jpg shot6.jpg shot4.jpg shot1.jpg

N

nwkiller

out in the cottage grove area, past dorena up in the brice creek area there are 6 or so waterfall hikes....im pretty sure acouple of them are around 6-7 miles

J

JeannaJigs

Will be checking out shotgun for sure, I always forget about that place. Gonna borrow andys dog when everything dries out lol. I don't like going places without a dog anymore now that my dogs too old.

My dad and brother did the same training when they went to Philmont about ten years ago lol. My dad was telling me to do the same thing with the weight.

Fish-On Fred

Fish-On Fred

Go to Silke Stadium and do stairs. Remember, slowly use your muscles to build endurance. Good luck!

C

chrisohm

Banned User
Will be checking out shotgun for sure, I always forget about that place. Gonna borrow andys dog when everything dries out lol. I don't like going places without a dog anymore now that my dogs too old.

My dad and brother did the same training when they went to Philmont about ten years ago lol. My dad was telling me to do the same thing with the weight.

I loved Philmont! One of the best places on earth! I wish I could have stayed for the summer! Tell your dad he is awesome!