Hike in lake suggestion(s)?

B
BigShug
My 11 y/o son and I are going to take a hike-in trip this year. I've got several places in mind. One being Indigo Lake. Another being Strawberry Lake.

We're looking for some fairly high adventure, but not quite say Eagle Cap W.A. adventure. We're going to fly fish and most likely bring float tubes. Any suggestions on a 2 or 3 day trip with a not too long and difficult hike?

Thanks in advance....Tom

M
mikeredding
I would go into the Marilyn Lakes near Gold Lake off of Hwy 58. It is only about 1/4 mile easy hike. I have fished these lakes since I was young and caught lots of nice Brookies. Let me know if you need more info on how to get there.

Last edited:
B
BigShug
Do Marilyn Lakes get a lot of use? Being a short hike and all? Do you know much about Indigo Lake? Thanks again.

M
mikeredding
In all of my trips in there I have only seen people a couple of times. The North lake is fairly good sized and if you went around to the back or went to the South lake you would surely have it to yourselves.

T
TTFishon
BigShug said:
My 11 y/o son and I are going to take a hike-in trip this year. I've got several places in mind. One being Indigo Lake. Another being Strawberry Lake.

We're looking for some fairly high adventure, but not quite say Eagle Cap W.A. adventure. We're going to fly fish and most likely bring float tubes. Any suggestions on a 2 or 3 day trip with a not too long and difficult hike?

Thanks in advance....Tom

How far are you willing to hike?

Troutski
Troutski
Otter lake...

Otter lake...

I would put my money on Otter lake, not a terrible hike and the fishing can be great early in the year. Along with the Erma Bells there are four lakes in one area.

Chuck

B
BobberDown
mt hood has som awsome ake i love tohike in to them a lot of lake to do nice over night back pack trips i like on called serine lake look on the south side of hood get a forest sevice map and look for a place called frasher tunraround it has abot 6 trail heads to difernt lakesgood luck Dan

O
Outdrsmn
I fished indigo when i was a kid there are decent trout in there with not too much pressure. If you want to knock them dead i would suggest the Erma belles. The middle Erma belle to be more precise. You will catch fish all day long there. Although it is one of the more popular hike in lakes. Linton lake can also be good and you can catch a brook, a rainbow and a brown trout all in one day. Yes i said brown trout and they get pretty big up there. Decent hike and good camping spots. Up the road from there is benson lake that just has cuttthroat i think.

If you have any more questions about these places let me know. I have fished them all.

M
mikeredding
I will have to agree with everyone on the Erma Bells. I have been in there a few times myself but you will surely have company up there. What area are you shooting for? I spent most of my life in the Oakridge area and am familiar with a lot of the lakes in that area. Let me know if I can help.

B
BigShug
Once again thanks for the replies. I'm obviously new to the site, but I really like it.

Otter Lake sounds very interesting and it seems to be close to the Erma Belles which gives us some options especially for a 2 or 3 day trip.

Googled Linton Lake and found some talk about the possibility of larger sized Brown Trout - sounds good too!

It'll be my son's first hike-in trip. I'm giving him some of the responsibility of planning it. He said he'd like to do that. It should be a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyone heard of any troubles at the trailheads with vandalism or rough crowds, etc.? That'd put a real damper on the trip.

M
mikeredding
BigShug said:
Anyone heard of any troubles at the trailheads with vandalism or rough crowds, etc.? That'd put a real damper on the trip.

I haven't heard of anything like that but as always, I would recommend not leaving anything valuable in your vehicle and don't forget to get your Northwest Forest Pass.:)

H
Hawk
A few lustrums ago we had some great funs hikin; into some ponds with Big'Un fish around the Tiller area. The Ranger Station had all the Info about the campin' & Fishin' round thar...................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:.........................:cool::cool::cool:

Troutski
Troutski
Magic Carpet...

Magic Carpet...

If at all possible I would recommend some sort of floating device, whether it it be float tube or raft.
Photo op's and better access to a very nice dinner, all three of the Erma Bells and Otter are better tackled from the water. All four lakes are natural lakes, that being said if you can get out on the water and cast what ever you choose (lures,flies,bait) toward the shore line with all that blow down...the cover for larger fish is magnificent. I believe those lakes have a different openeing date than that of the Valley water, might want to check the reg's.
If you can chose the time of week to do your trip, chose the middle of the week; far less pressure. Tight lines...

Chuck

G
GrillMaster
Easy access

Easy access

Those are great lakes, pretty easy access. Makes it easier to bring more stuff with you..well maybe not that close. A raft or pontoon would be a real plus up there. Good luck

GM

T
TTFishon
If you decide to go into Linton I've caught the most fish across the lake opposite of where the trail first comes to the lake. There are some really nice waterfalls too.