Hike in fishing: Are you concerned about personal safety?

O
OnTheFly
The last couple of years, I have been seeking out new water to fish. I find myself venturing into isolated areas OFF the beat'en track by myself because sometimes I just like it that way. I have been told a few stories (some from OFF members) that they would not concider going out into hard to reach areas alone or, if they did, not without a weapon of some kind. I am starting to become concerned. Does anyone else feel this way?

M
metalmania
I am more concerned about drowning or breaking a leg etc. , than I am about a run in with some psycho in the woods. The few times I have ever felt threatened were in areas that were more crowded, especially during the summer with all the crazy drunks out. I do carry a gun, but have never had a reason to unholster it. If i'm uncomfortable I'll just leave, and that's happened very few times.

C
chris61182
I wouldn't say I've had any real reason to be concerned, but knowing I'm alone, in a remote area, and with out cell service makes me aware of my vulnerability.

A neat thing many people don't know is that go to, engaging in, or returning from fishing is one of the exceptions for who is allowed to carry concealed, ie. no CHL necessary. (ORS166.260 2b)

R
rainman
I carry most times I leave town, whether it's on a trip or out in the woods camping, or fishing. Not because I'm concerned about anything, rather I just feel safer, knowing I can stop someone or something in it's tracks.
Worst case scenario thing: Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

H
halibuthitman
that concern you are feeling is what will keep you sharp and safe, when you stop feeling it you become complacent and make bad mistakes, I only carry a weapon in enviroments where the odds of needing it are high, like REAL bear country or places where drug users frequent, otherwise I find the gun places an invisble cloud over an outing... just my opinion, and I own around 15 guns.

Troutski
Troutski
Tire chains...

Tire chains...

I carry tire chains in the back of my Jeep along with jumper cables...never needed either one. Some may say that if you are prepared for the event you will never need the stuff...so far this has been my history.
A very personal decision to carry a weapon or not...I don't fear the wildlife as much as the jerks in life, I do carry when fishing.

Chuck

R
rainman
Troutski said:
I carry tire chains in the back of my Jeep along with jumper cables...never needed either one. Some may say that if you are prepared for the event you will never need the stuff...so far this has been my history.
A very personal decision to carry a weapon or not...I don't fear the wildlife as much as the jerks in life, I do carry when fishing.

Chuck

I usually carry jumper cables and a tow strap, in the winter I add a gallon of antifreeze, chains and a small tool kit.
Have used jumper cables on occasion(for other people). Needed the tow strap once, tried to pull a drift boat out of the Alsea, only to discover my Ford 4x4 was only a 2x4. A Toyota pulled me out. How embarrassing. :mad:

Troutski
Troutski
rainman said:
I usually carry jumper cables and a tow strap, in the winter I add a gallon of antifreeze, chains and a small tool kit.
Have used jumper cables on occasion(for other people). Needed the tow strap once, tried to pull a drift boat out of the Alsea, only to discover my Ford 4x4 was only a 2x4. A Toyota pulled me out. How embarrassing. :mad:

;)

S
SNDSLGR
OnTheFly said:
The last couple of years, I have been seeking out new water to fish. I find myself venturing into isolated areas OFF the beat'en track by myself because sometimes I just like it that way. I have been told a few stories (some from OFF members) that they would not concider going out into hard to reach areas alone or, if they did, not without a weapon of some kind. I am starting to become concerned. Does anyone else feel this way?

Is it the wildlife or lowlife's that have you concerned? I would rather be in a pitch black forest then a pitch black alley any day of the week... but I grew up outdoors.

My job regularly has us walking around in both remote woods and inner city crap holes. I seems that the guys at work that grew up in the city are scared of the woods and the guys that grew up in the woods are scared of the city.

Best advies either way imo, be aware and if something feels wrong it probly is.

S
SNDSLGR
ohh, and as far as carrying. If I am alone I almost never carry, if my family is with me I always do.

O
OnTheFly
SNDSLGR said:
Is it the wildlife or lowlife's that have you concerned? I would rather be in a pitch black forest then a pitch black alley any day of the week... but I grew up outdoors.

My job regularly has us walking around in both remote woods and inner city crap holes. I seems that the guys at work that grew up in the city are scared of the woods and the guys that grew up in the woods are scared of the city.

Best advies either way imo, be aware and if something feels wrong it probly is.

My concern would be the lowlifes. Plenty of dense forest out there to hide a body.

S
SNDSLGR
Well I can't speak for johhny crackhead but if I were after you in the woods it wouldnt matter if you had a sidearm or not, you would never know I was there. Does that make you feel better? lol

Learning to use a knife can be a great self defence and in many cases more effective than a gun, especialy if that gun is in an inside pocket or something.

O
OnTheFly
If someone wanted to take you out from a distance from behind a tree or something that would be one thing. But I think it would go down more like someone approching you, perhaps acting friendly at first, then the assault begins. As for a knife, I wouldn't want one in a gun fight. Besides, I don't think I'd want to get that close. Just my oppinion:)

R
rainman
I agree with your philosophy about a knife. That's why, when camping I carry my Full-size Black KA-BAR, Serrated Edge on my belt.
I utilize a 3 layer security web: 1. my dog- initial detection and/or engagement; 2. my Glock 9mm- medium/short range engagement; 3. my Ka-Bar- hand to hand.
Hopefully, just seeing a dog and knife would deter most pinheads.

S
SNDSLGR
OnTheFly said:
If someone wanted to take you out from a distance from behind a tree or something that would be one thing. But I think it would go down more like someone approching you, perhaps acting friendly at first, then the assault begins. As for a knife, I wouldn't want one in a gun fight. Besides, I don't think I'd want to get that close. Just my oppinion:)

I agree, I was just having some fun with the scenerio. Remember also that Oregon is an open carry state, no need to conceal anything though while in the local 7-11 may not be a great idea standing on a river it would be totally acceptable... and a sidearm in plain view would stop any of these "friendly" encounters I am sure.

Last edited:
H
Hawk
I've been exploring the BLM forests/lands all my life.

I carry a gun, stout walking stick, cell phone, & a first aid kit in my lifted 4x4 pickemup truck. & other items mentioned. I haven't needed to fire the gun...

I found Peace, Harmony, & Tranquility in the forests & Beautiful Sunsets/Sunrises & some new fishin' holes. I love watching the forest critters.

Be Safe out thar Brothers & Sisters.

:D:D:D

Have a Beautiful Day...

G
GDBrown
Be were you should be when you should be...

I've spent a good many hours driving the logging roads and hiking the rivers in this state and others in the west. The only place I felt the need to carry was when I lived in Montana and hiked in Grizzly country. I never have had the need to unholster my weapon on man or beast. The older I get the more I worry about my physical stamina & balance and less about physical threats.

My heading has become my motto when in the outdoors.

T
TTFishon
Well I've had scary encounters with animals and people. I think a gun would have helped with at least two of the animal encounters but I don't think it would have turned out so well with the human encounters. You start pointing a gun and it kind of ups the ante.

I almost forgot to answer your question. Yes I am concerned for my safety. I have social anxiety issues so if I can help it I usually try to avoid anyone I happen to see.

Last edited:
J
JSpencer
SNDSLGR said:
ohh, and as far as carrying. If I am alone I almost never carry, if my family is with me I always do.

Your family is that rough huh?

j/k :)

O
OnTheFly
JSpencer said:
Your family is that rough huh?

j/k :)

That's hilarious!:lol: Reminds me of a redneck joke about grandma wanting ammo for Christmas.:lol: