High waters and still catching fish

T

the salmon kid

me and 2 friends of mine went fishing today at chief hole and here is my fishing report
we got 12 steel head all together and only landed 4 and 3 coho we where catching the steel head on silver and blue cleos with red spots on the blue half
and my bud got 3 coho on a pink first strike jig

the fishing was off the hook today and i assume that there is plenty more to go around we had tons of fish rolling around all over the place and it was a very good weekend

the two in the middle are the ones i got one summer steel head and one winter steely

i going again tomorrow and will post again then :D:D:D
here are the pics

Attachments

• 5 fish front.jpg
    5 fish front.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 5 fish side.jpg
    5 fish side.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 38
C

colbypearson

me and 2 friends of mine went fishing today at chief hole and here is my fishing report
we got 12 steel head all together and only landed 4 and 3 coho we where catching the steel head on silver and blue cleos with red spots on the blue half

the fishing was off the hook today and i assume that there is plenty more to go around we had tons of fish rolling around all over the place and it was a very good weekend

the two in the middle are the ones i got one summer steel head and one winter steely

here are the pics

do you need anything special to catch and release salmon and steel other than a fishing license????

C

colbypearson

not really just a good attitude and tags

and barb less hooks really make catch and release easy

you even need a tag to C&R? like if i were out there casting for whatever bit wether it be a trout a salmon a steelhead a pikeminnow whatever not even targeting salmon although that would be fun i would need a tag whos to know what im fishing for? but say it is partially salmon just for fun i need tags?

T

tnffishman

you even need a tag to C&R? like if i were out there casting for whatever bit wether it be a trout a salmon a steelhead a pikeminnow whatever not even targeting salmon although that would be fun i would need a tag whos to know what im fishing for? but say it is partially salmon just for fun i need tags?

this is always something I wondered about. I don't think you need a tag just to C & R salmon/steel if you are technically not "targeting' them

C

colbypearson

ya im not what i woudl consider a trout,steel,salmon fisherman if i wanted to go fishing in the rogue and throw a spoon or something theres always a chance to catch any of the above if i target all three just because it would be ignorant not to realize any could bite, with no chance of keeping your catch i wouldnt expect you would need a tag

M

Modest_Man

If you're using gear aimed at salmon/steelhead you better have a tag or you could get a nice ticket. I doubt they're going to fine anyone using an ultralight going for trout with 4lb test who gets a salmon or steelead on a size 1 lure...but if you're using appropriate salmon steelhead gear without a salmon steelhead tag even to catch and release expect a fine.

C

colbypearson

If you're using gear aimed at salmon/steelhead you better have a tag or you could get a nice ticket. I doubt they're going to fine anyone using an ultralight going for trout with 4lb test who gets a salmon or steelead on a size 1 lure...but if you're using appropriate salmon steelhead gear without a salmon steelhead tag even to catch and release expect a fine.

good point, i woulda brought my swimbait rod LMFAO pretty well suited for salmon, i dont know seasons or spots or anything i was just curious on the matter, it just goes to show how anglers these days can't be trusted, to make the rules that way..... witch sucks for the rest of us honest anglers.

Last edited:
C

capblack

you have to be targeting something other than steel or salmon if your fishing without a tag, and i would think trout season is over there, so your out of luck. no fishing!!

T

Throbbit _Shane

Trout is open on the rogue/ this is tricky question.

Nice fish salmon kid!!!!!!!

G

Growbug

Do i need a tag to C&R salmon, etc.
Technically YES
A couple o months ago, I had a chat with one of the ODFW office guys over the phone to check this question. The straight answer was "it depends on the person who checks your license", the overall coverage was "YES you need a tag"
Why? Put it this way, YOU may not be looking at messing with the laws and rules, but you can guarantee that there would be someone else there saying "Oh, I am just trying for sucker/pokeminnow/whitefish", and then they get a salmon and keep it. POACHING!
If it is "salmon season" on the river, then you will be expected to have a salmon tag with you, etc.
Remember there is also a chance that you catch something that needs a tag and you can't release it for some reason. That would put you straight into the poacher category.,

T

Thuggin4Life

Nice catch!

Colby just because you aked it that way you better buy a tag. you need a licsense to fish and if it even looks like you aren't fishing for trout you are gonna get a ticket. cops aren't dumb. even if you take a trout rod with trout gear to a hole that is 99.9% percent of the time fished for salmon you better have a tag. besides nobody targets trout in the salmon holes during the salmon runs so you are just asking for trouble.

T

the salmon kid

well colby i think if you are going to be trying to catch salmon or steelies it is probably safe to have a salmon steel tag just to be on the safe side
i am thinking about going to the chief hole tomorrow if i can get a ride but if not i think i will just go to the expo ponds .

if you have a ride and can give me a ride to the spot i can show you what to do and how to do it if you want ,

but that is if you have your tags
and they are cheap for minors like 6.50 or something like that

C

colbypearson

Nice catch!

Colby just because you aked it that way you better buy a tag. you need a licsense to fish and if it even looks like you aren't fishing for trout you are gonna get a ticket. cops aren't dumb. even if you take a trout rod with trout gear to a hole that is 99.9% percent of the time fished for salmon you better have a tag. besides nobody targets trout in the salmon holes during the salmon runs so you are just asking for trouble.

i wouldnt know the difference from a salmon hole or a trout hole from a pike minnow hole, just wondering and i already said earlier its a shame that people are so untrusted, i figured you would need one i was just making sure.

C

capblack

if your using trout gear then your legal. excellent day on the water salmon kid. i wouldnt have imagined fishing would be so good with the water high. did you change your tactics any?? Brian

kirkster

kirkster

I have no idea. And it's gettin dark fast.

100% true you have to have a tag period. Keep in mind there is times where a c&r is not possible without releasing a dead fish.

S

skunk

here are the pics

Nice job, that sounds like a perfect day even with high water.