High water fishing

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I know I have cussed like a fat policeman running after a scrawny tweaker when I have planned a day on the water only to find it "blown out" when I arrive. :mad: BUT!! :wall: Surely there must be a few techniques for fishing in the high water?! :think: I mean, the fish don't pack up and head over the cow pasture to Grandma's house for a few days!! :naughty: Where the heck do they go? They still have to eat, right? :confused: Do you use bigger gear? Do you fish closer to shore? Do you use bigger globs of roe? Maybe a rocket launcher or hand grenade??? :doh: :whistle: Come on now, someone must have some sort of technique for chocolate puddin' water. :pray::pray::pray:
Somebody help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

J
JeannaJigs
Big smelly ugly bright presentation close to the bank. Plunking with big ugly spin n glos can be effective. I can't stand plunking so I usually scrap it and stay home but there are fish still to be caught.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
JeannaJigs said:
Big smelly ugly bright presentation close to the bank. Plunking with big ugly spin n glos can be effective. I can't stand plunking so I usually scrap it and stay home but there are fish still to be caught.

Thanks Jeanna. I guess no one else knows about any other techniques, or they just don't want to share....lol

F
fishingfreak
Raincatcher said:
Thanks Jeanna. I guess no one else knows about any other techniques, or they just don't want to share....lol

I think a lot of it depends on where you are fishing at. I use larger weight/ rods/ line/ floats/ fish next to the bank like Jenna said/ I just go bigger.
FF

F
fishindude
When I fish the rivers when they are running high I fish really close to the bank or look for undercuts . Heck I've even caught steelhead in the grass along the bank that is flooded by the extremely high water .:)

troutdude
troutdude
The fish will generally hug the bank(s) for two reasons:

1. The water is often moving slower, to help reduce getting silt in their gills. The faster water (away from the bank) increases the flow of silt; and makes it more difficult for them to "breathe".

2. They'll look for the slower water (often along the banks), to conserve energy. They need the energy to get upstream to their spawning grounds. Swimming in the middle / faster water, reduces their chances of spawning and species propagation.

That is why other suggestions above, are the way to go. Big and smelly (lots of scent).

Diehard
Diehard
i think these fish go into a survival mode when the current gets to rippin and even with a strong technique the ketchn percentage drops way off so i would say learn some goto holes on the system your fishn were the current and the water is fishable and definitely pay attention to water visibility this will play a huge factor on how big your presentation should be i would use all the same colors that you normally use just make them bigger as in 3 to 4 times bigger than say your average setup this has worked very well for me and i have had some really good days in some crazy high water fishn conditions also sent will help as it is one of the senses they can still use when they can't see hope this helps a little

O
OnTheDrop
Fish right next to the bank they will come up the banks literally a foot or two right from it. Using eggs is the best producer ive seen for myself in high muddy water. Large spinners will work well too. Try chartruese orange pink.

M
Moe
In really high water plunking close to the bank is the way to go!

O
OnTheFly
Yer right Barb! The fish will still be in there and they still need to eat. They will be close to the bank and large offerings are the key. You guys know your stuff!. There is one other rule that comes to mind and that is if you're up to your knees in water and can't see your boots, go home and wait until the the river level starts to drop and beginning to get that 'feeshy' green color. Cast in, let drift, and hold ON!
Special note: The water will bury fishing holes and come up into the bushes making any access very difficult not to mention being dangerous.:cool:

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Yer right Barb! The fish will still be in there and they still need to eat. They will be close to the bank and large offerings are the key. You guys know your stuff!. There is one other rule that comes to mind and that is if you're up to your knees in water and can't see your boots, go home and wait until the the river level starts to drop and beginning to get that 'feeshy' green color. Cast in, let drift, and hold ON!
Special note: The water will bury fishing holes and come up into the bushes making any access very difficult not to mention being dangerous.:cool:
very true jim, i almost got washed down the willy when it flooded the park in independence.. i was wading in the flood water fishing for suckers ,coho and i slipped and went unde not knowing there was a drop off .. turns out i was at the top of a hill and almost got swept into a flooded creek right by the drop off.

P
plumb2fish
OnTheFly said:
If I was to wait for those conditions on the Siuslaw, I could only fish maybe 15 days a winter....it however is one of the few rivers that seems to fish well as soon as the color goes from dark chocolate to milk chocolate....