High mountain lake camping trip

T
TTFishon
I Did some hike in camping last weekend with my brother in law and my nephew. It took us 2 hours of hiking time and 2 hours of resting and checking stuff out time to hike 7 miles. At 5 miles into the hike we made it to lake number one 1283308828.jpg
We stopped here to check out the camp ground and the cabin then moved on. About a mile down the trail we came upon this little body of water 1283305972.jpg not too far from here I found a nice patch of chanterelles, picked one and ate it.:) I should've picked more to fry up at camp but thought I'd come back and get them later then never made it back. :lol: Chanterelles weren't the only shrooms either. I spotted matsutakes and king boletes along the way too. We made it to our final destination at about 3 in the afternoon. First thing I did was cast a worm out on the bottom then set up camp. After setting up camp I checked my pole and fish on! A nice 13 inch fat rainbow fresh for dinner.:D I don't know why but I didn't get a pic of my fish but I set my nephew up with a worm on the bottom and he caught this 10 incher on his first cast 1283305978.jpg After that fishing went dead. I always check my fish to see what they've been eating and both these fish were stuffed full of small green bugs. Woke up Saturday morning to the sound of rain on the tent:( Kind of bummed I got up and made some coffee and some good old fashion freeze dried breakfast :lol: It drizzled off and on all day and we didn't catch anymore fish. Not even a bite. Fish were jumping all day too. We tried everything we had. Lures, flies, worms, grasshoppers, and even power bait with nothing to show for it. Still had a great time though.
About mid day Saturday a family showed up to fish and wouldn't you know it, they had to fish about 50 feet away from us.:rolleyes: They had the whole lake. No one else was there but us and they decided to fish next to us. On top of that they let their kids start a big ole bon fire with the flames reaching at least 5 feet high. That seemed crazy to us. Even though it was drizzling it was still very dry up there with tons of windfall everywhere we looked. They fished for about an hour then left and didn't even put their fire out all the way.:mad: After they left I made about 20 trips with my water bottle to make sure their fire was out. Here's a pic of their shallow fire pit and a pic of it creeping under the rocks 1283306101.jpg
1283306102.jpg
We had the lake to ourselves until later that evening until a couple of dudes showed up. Luckily they were quiet and kept to themselves.:)
We packed up Sunday and headed out. Stopped at the first lake and caught a bunch of little rainbows and brookies before heading out and heading home. Here's some more pics of our wonderful weekend retreat.
1283306120.jpg
1283306112.jpg
1283306098.jpg
1283306096.jpg
1283306085.jpg

L
lilsalmon
Looks like a nice hike and the perfect way to spend a few days. Great pics. About the family ignoramus....no comment except lucky you were there to tend their fire.

troutdude
troutdude
X2. Nice job tending their fire. Way to go man.

Troutski
Troutski
Great post, thanks for the pic's....some people just don't get it - good on you for being Smoky the bear... Something about fresh fish on the grill when camping..I can almost smell it.

Chuck

B
bigsteel
nice report TT,,,sounds like a great time,and the pics are awesome

L
Left Bank
Very nice pics TT!!! Kudos for putting out the fire and glad you had a good time.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
Glad you were there to keep the forest intact .Great report looks like a beautiful place ! Way to get the nephews into some fish !

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice pictures TT!!

T
TTFishon
Thanks guys and girl. I hate to think what might have happened if we weren't there. I can't believe how stupid people can be.

H
Hawk
Beautiful pics Bro.

Looks like a Wonderful Weekend.
:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool::cool:

yep, stupid people have started many forest fires :shock::naughty:

Great Job puttin' the fire out.:D
:dance::dance::dance:

T
Thuggin4Life
Sure sounds like you guys had a grat trip other than the retards who just dont get it. after seein the pics if i would have stumbled by you barely would have noticed me except that i know you so i owuld have rained on your parade. Good thing you guys were there and they did that next to you or that lake might not be so cool next year. we are gonna have to do some fishing here one of these days if i ever get my boat finished.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Very cool man.

About the crowders, I call that the 'parking lot syndrome'. Pertaining to their fire, fields trips to the ranger station to meet Smokey the Bear need to be started up again.

Remember kids, only YOU can prevent forest fires!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
You know what I just realized?
I am really starting to develop a 'when I was your age' attitude. haha. Anyhow, carry on.

B
bobaconda
where is this lake located

T
TTFishon
bobaconda said:
where is this lake located

My rules are similar to the rules on selling stuff on this forum. I like to get to know someone before I give away my secrets. I hate to be like that but that's how I am.

H
HeBeGB
Hi TT. Nice post and good lookin out on that fire. I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself to you so that maybe one day you might give me a lil info on this sweet lookin spot! :) That pic of the sunrise is AMAZING and I'm always on the hunt for some nice hike in fishing opportunities. Cheers!

T
TTFishon
HeBeGB said:
Hi TT. Nice post and good lookin out on that fire. I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself to you so that maybe one day you might give me a lil info on this sweet lookin spot! :) That pic of the sunrise is AMAZING and I'm always on the hunt for some nice hike in fishing opportunities. Cheers!

Thanks. Maybe one of these days I'll open up a bit. Last time I shared this place with a member of this forum they posted a thread on here giving the place up and put the whereabouts on his blog too. I will say though that after I shared my thoughts to this person they did delete their thread and I was greatful for that. I don't mind sharing to other secretive people though.

H
HeBeGB
Fair enough... no rush. As long as people are clear with me about how they want me to handle the info they pass to me then I'm good. Differnt folks have different expectations and it can be hard to tell sometimes how "secret" the secret you've been told is but like I said as long as I know that I'm not supposed to spread the word then I'm set. I respect the fact that you're trying to protect the places that you love. Afterall we're trying to get away from the yay-hoos not give em an invitation to come crowd us and light dangerous fires right?! Anyway... just wanted to introduce myself so that you can get a sense of how I am so that down the line you have something to go on if you're considering passing me some info. Cheers!

T
TTFishon
HeBeGB said:
Fair enough... no rush. As long as people are clear with me about how they want me to handle the info they pass to me then I'm good. Differnt folks have different expectations and it can be hard to tell sometimes how "secret" the secret you've been told is but like I said as long as I know that I'm not supposed to spread the word then I'm set. I respect the fact that you're trying to protect the places that you love. Afterall we're trying to get away from the yay-hoos not give em an invitation to come crowd us and light dangerous fires right?! Anyway... just wanted to introduce myself so that you can get a sense of how I am so that down the line you have something to go on if you're considering passing me some info. Cheers!

PM sent.