High Hopes for Newport Silvers

Irishrover
Irishrover
Been spending the last few days getting the boat ready for silvers at Newport. It's suppose to be a banner year with 1.3 million hatchery fish out in the ocean to catch. It's a three fish a day limit, I hope the weather cooperates. The boat is hooked up to the truck ready for the trip to South Beach Marina. Can't wait!:)

C
Chass
Please report back!

Chass
ct

O
Oregonchris
Just got done watching a rerun Outdoor GPS....I actually migh have to start researching a charter boat...should be great fishn'!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Got the boat down there and the ocean was a little too bummpy for the opener on Saturday. Headed out for the first trip of the season in the morning (WED). Look like better fishing conditions.;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Made it out Wednesday hooked up a couple of nonhatchery fish and that was it. Was fishing about seven miles out and north of Yaquina Head light house. I should have made the 14 mile run to the north side of Stonewall banks because those that did caught good numbers of fish. Today the bar was restricted and a small carft advisery was in effect. Look bad for ocean fishing through Monday due to wind and weather:( Guess I'll just be patient and play it safe.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
rough...

rough...

Irishrover;
Sorry to hear about the not so great seas for you. Hopefully it will flatten out soon so you can make a haul. Make sure you have your pdf ON so there is no problem getting you back home with your catch. You do have your camera,right? :D
Be safe.
Barb

Irishrover
Irishrover
Started to actuallly wear that PFD for the first time. My youngest son's wife is having my 10th grandchild and he want's me around to see his first child. Fish pictures will be come when my wife gets back from visiting our daughter and grandkids in Texas. She has the camera of course.;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Back down here at Newport. It's 10:30pm and we are watching the lightning and listening to the thunder.............Going to hit the water at 5am and see if we can hook up some silvers...........heave rain coming down now.....hope that will settle things down a bit. Have my fishing partner (Mrs Irishrove ) with me and she can be a tuff competetor. (she did bring the camera). Report to follow!:)

O
OnTheFly
hey Irishrover...Here's what the bottom of your boat should look like....

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnThe Fly............my boat isn't that big.........nice picture.

We crossed the bar at 7am had our six coho before 8am. It doesn't always happen that way. What was nice was the first six fish we caught were all hatchery fish. No nonhatchery fish to deal with. The Ocean wasn't bad, so later in the day we went south and picked up a few black sea bass to balance things out. Now that was yesterday!!!!!!!!! Today we hit the same spot .........no fish! We head out a few more mile and start picking up nonhatchery fish. We finally nail a couple of hactchery fish when a thunderstorm breaks over us. The lightening was coming down close and the wind started to pick up. I hit the gps waypoint for green can #2 and we called it a day.

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
OnThe Fly............my boat isn't that big.........nice picture.

We crossed the bar at 7am had our six coho before 8am. It doesn't always happen that way. What was nice was the first six fish we caught were all hatchery fish. No nonhatchery fish to deal with. The Ocean wasn't bad, so later in the day we went south and picked up a few black sea bass to balance things out. Now that was yesterday!!!!!!!!! Today we hit the same spot .........no fish! We head out a few more mile and start picking up nonhatchery fish. We finally nail a couple of hactchery fish when a thunderstorm breaks over us. The lightening was coming down close and the wind started to pick up. I hit the gps waypoint for green can #2 and we called it a day.

Irishrover, let me be the first to congratulate you on an outstanding day! It doesn't get any better than that! Fresh salmon is a great thing to take home.
Next Sunday my son and father-n-law and I will be leaving Illwaco with Coho Charters to catch a few of those of our own. Your pictures make it very encouraging. Thanks for the great report!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks......We are going to hit tomorrow morning for a few hours (weather permitting). Be nice to have a few more ocean fresh silver to put o the grill. Good luck out of Illwaco. Going fishing with your son is always a good thing and taking the father in-law to boot. I like taking my sons when they get a day off work. Make for great fun.

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
Thanks......We are going to hit tomorrow morning for a few hours (weather permitting). Be nice to have a few more ocean fresh silver to put o the grill. Good luck out of Illwaco. Going fishing with your son is always a good thing and taking the father in-law to boot. I like taking my sons when they get a day off work. Make for great fun.

Just checked weather.com for Newport. Maybe a morning shower, partly cloudy, winds 5 to 10mph. Looks like clear sailing for another day of fishing for you! Good Luck!

Jim

Irishrover
Irishrover
7-13-09 It was a great day to be out there. Morning fog but after that it was fine and the ocean laid down flat. 3 keepers 8 non-hatchery fish and about eight lost. Now back to Centeral Oregon and the 5wt fly rod, life is great!;)

H
Hawk
Those are some Reel Beauties Brother&Sister Irishrover...

Great Job................................:D:D:D............:cool::cool::cool:........................:clap::clap::clap:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Congratulations to the Irishrovers!

Congratulations to the Irishrovers!

Way to go Irish! You are setting the bar for the rest of us wannabe's. Glad to hear the good results. I am going to make it out there...someday.
Be safe.
Barb

Irishrover
Irishrover
Raincatcher said:
Way to go Irish! You are setting the bar for the rest of us wannabe's. Glad to hear the good results. I am going to make it out there...someday.
Be safe.
Barb

No wannabes on this forum just different fisher folks. Catching silvers in the ocean really is easy. Catching salmon in the river is a lot harder. When you get out there you'll slay them. ;)