Herring

H

hook Em

Does anyone know when herring starts in Oregon?????

H

hook Em

Yea i mean smelt!!! Thank you!! Do u know what time around spring?

J

juggernaut506

I used to go a lot when I was a teenager. Now it's too hard to catch very many. Went to the Sandy twice and got skunked twice and I'm not going to drive up to Kelso for 10 lbs of fish and that's if they even show up.

K

Kodiak

Banned User
If you actually want herring, yaquina bay the rest of this month, and next month.....no finer bait for springers on the planet.

F

fourgotten

If you actually want herring, yaquina bay the rest of this month, and next month.....no finer bait for springers on the planet.

How do YOU get them? I've used sabiki rigs frequently in other inlets, but never done well in Yaquina with them. Perhaps my location is the problem... I've mostly tried them in the Marina.

B

BlackBass

Whats left of our smelt runs are hitting the rivers now. The herring can be caught from the peir in Newport, or around the docks on the bay front :) Use multiple hook rigs with a 1-2 oz weight on the bottom, you can get the herring rigs at any tackle store on the coast :)

K

Kodiak

Banned User
I use sabiki's...the smaller ones with the clear mylar, not the white. I like over by the coast guard station along the piers, as tthat seams to be where most head to to spawn. 1-2 oz. of weight is what I use. On a good day you can pick up 100-150 blue labels. Look for the bigger tides around the full moon.