here is some eye candy from a catch earlyier today!

F

fishndad

caught this 33" steely in the high coquile river today! fantastic fish fought me for about twenty minutes! i used a finnesse touch, he sppoled me about 7-8 times, mind you i was using 6 lb test on a 5 1/2' ft ultra light rod! i was fishing for trout in a mountain stream and came across my favorite hole, so happens i seen 2 or 3 steelys jump so i switched from a small corky to a large watermelon corky with a worm! next thing you know im landing a brute steely!
33be4qo.jpg

M

metalmania

Nothin like big fish on small gear. Great job man, it's nice to see others fishin worms to.

F

FishSchooler

We sure dont have any beautiful small streams like that up here that I know of... are there (open for fishing)?

A

ArcticAmoeba

Of course we do. a lot of them are attached to the upper Clackamas.

F

Fleadog

Excellent!

Excellent!

Yee Haw light liners! Nice fish dude!

F

FishSchooler

Of course we do. a lot of them are attached to the upper Clackamas.

Close to LO? LO is much further from the clack than OC, well of course, the clack passes through OC... ;):lol:

A

ArcticAmoeba

You are closer to the Clack than I am. I live on the far side of New Era technically, and I stay out deep in Beavercreek often. OC is the closest major town. But, like I said before, a lot of the small streams we fish drain into the Clackamas. Less than an hour from Lake O proper is still not bad if you ask me. Even the Molalla has a buncha Cutties in right now. We floated this afternoon out of Canby, and got into a ton on spinners and HotShots.

J

Jig'n

Great job on the fish!!!

I caught my first Steelhead while trout fishing the Big Nestucca. The #10 buck fell for a tiny Yellow Panther Martin spinner.

Jig'n

F

FishSchooler

I am? o_O I have to take a big loop through I-5 / I-205 to get to OC. What creeks are there? I would love to go to one of those small crystal clear sight fishing creeks... Havent been to one yet.

A

ArcticAmoeba

Alright, I'm gonna try to list as many creeks that dump into the Clackamas as I can. A half dozen or so even sustain small native runs of Steelhead. From the mouth up, here it goes...

Rock Creek, Clear, Foster, Deep, Goose, Eagle, South Fork Clackamas River, Moore Creek, Hellion, Fish, Murphy, Roaring River, Pup Creek, Cat, Deer, Three Lynx, Cripple, Sandstone, Whale, Big, Oak Grove Fork Clackamas River, Trout Creek, Collawash River, Switch Creek, Granite, Lost, Cabin, Kansas, Cambell, Pinhead, Wall, Lowe, Rhododendron, Fawn, Hunter, Sisi, Cub, and above the Big Bottom area, is Lemiti Creek.

Rock Creek to Eagle Creek are all on the lower Clack. Creeks between SF Clack to OGF Clack are usually too small to hold fish, but their mouths are usually full. Minus Roaring River, and Fish Creek, they stay full enough to sustain resident runs, and one has mini Steel in the winter.

Above Trout Creek is the Collawash which has a buncha fish, and the rest of the creeks near the campgrounds always produce. The upper reaches of the Clack take you over near MT. Jefferson, and the fish are few and far between up there, although during fly hatches, it gets crazy in theBig Bottom area. About 10 river miles of wadeable flat river, perfect for swinging bugs.

Not all have fish, and not all are open to be angled, but I have hooked fish in close to 90 percent of the waterways listed. Sorry to hijack the biz out of this thread, but to get it back on track...
Did that fish happen to have a noodle tag anywhere. I have heard of a whole bunch, that strayed from other systems up in that river this year. Just curious if you ended up with one. Or have heard of any recently.

F

fishndad

Alright, I'm gonna try to list as many creeks that dump into the Clackamas as I can. A half dozen or so even sustain small native runs of Steelhead. From the mouth up, here it goes...

Rock Creek, Clear, Foster, Deep, Goose, Eagle, South Fork Clackamas River, Moore Creek, Hellion, Fish, Murphy, Roaring River, Pup Creek, Cat, Deer, Three Lynx, Cripple, Sandstone, Whale, Big, Oak Grove Fork Clackamas River, Trout Creek, Collawash River, Switch Creek, Granite, Lost, Cabin, Kansas, Cambell, Pinhead, Wall, Lowe, Rhododendron, Fawn, Hunter, Sisi, Cub, and above the Big Bottom area, is Lemiti Creek.

Rock Creek to Eagle Creek are all on the lower Clack. Creeks between SF Clack to OGF Clack are usually too small to hold fish, but their mouths are usually full. Minus Roaring River, and Fish Creek, they stay full enough to sustain resident runs, and one has mini Steel in the winter.

Above Trout Creek is the Collawash which has a buncha fish, and the rest of the creeks near the campgrounds always produce. The upper reaches of the Clack take you over near MT. Jefferson, and the fish are few and far between up there, although during fly hatches, it gets crazy in theBig Bottom area. About 10 river miles of wadeable flat river, perfect for swinging bugs.

Not all have fish, and not all are open to be angled, but I have hooked fish in close to 90 percent of the waterways listed. Sorry to hijack the biz out of this thread, but to get it back on track...
Did that fish happen to have a noodle tag anywhere. I have heard of a whole bunch, that strayed from other systems up in that river this year. Just curious if you ended up with one. Or have heard of any recently.

nope no noodle tag! this buck was clipped but not tagged. ive also heard of some strays up here in the coquile river.

F

fishndad

Great job on the fish!!!

I caught my first Steelhead while trout fishing the Big Nestucca. The #10 buck fell for a tiny Yellow Panther Martin spinner.

Jig'n

those small panther martins can be deadly, when i was a kid i caught the crap out of steely's and 15-25 lb chinooks in our slough at my granny's house. i even hooked a striper with a panther martin.........odd yes i know but hey i was stoked lol

A

ArcticAmoeba

Ha, funny, my smallest cousin hooked a small striper last year on a little Mepps. Weird how that happens. Fish are truly crazy creatures!

F

Fleadog

Stripers?

Stripers?

Panthers rule, but Roosters I have caught more with. Where and when are the stripers (Bass right?)? Talk about brutal fish!

A

ArcticAmoeba

Striper fishin should be picking up right about now, and carry on into the Summer. The farthest they make it North I believe is the Smith River, on the OR side of the border.

F

fishndad

Striper fishin should be picking up right about now, and carry on into the Summer. The farthest they make it North I believe is the Smith River, on the OR side of the border.

yeah they dont make it to far up north! but we do slay them on the coos and coquile! they are a schooling fish, they travel in scholls of 4-9 sometimes more but thats the size of a normal school.

F

Fleadog

stripers

stripers

Do them stripers get like Frisco Bay big? I could use a trip south if they could be gotten from the bank.

F

FishSchooler

Ah ya... That helps me! If they are within 40 min, Im up for it! They require hiking I guess...

Top Bottom