Help with trolling on pontoon

N
nimzrock
Greetings all,
A week ago right now I was checking in for a 3 day stay at timothy. Sunday morning I set out with my 9 foot pontoon early to slay the mighty trout. I had 3 poles on board each with a different set up to find what the fish would hit. My question to all of you is what should I be using to troll, remember Im rowing. I tried every spinner I had along at times tipped with worm , eggs and dry. I had one slight hit on a mepps but that was it. Are there small trolling rigs that I could use ? I know I was on the fish as my fishfinder would light up on huge schools sometimes for uo to 2 minutes.I wound up 1 for 3 for the first day
By the end of sunday my arms were ready to call the wife and ask her to put the boat back on craigslist, where it came from. :mad:
Monday dawned to warmer weather and slightly better fishing. I still had trouble getting anything to bite until i tried...... a worm 6 feet below a bobber. i came away from the trip sunbuned, tight toned arms (Im keeping the boat) and with 4 fish. It turns out everyone was having trouble , even boats with motors. We all had fishfinders and the sound of all of them painting targets was humorous. Enough rambling, Thanx for any responses and Tight lines to you - Nimz :cool:

C
Combat Chuck
My favorite troll while rowing is Flatfish and quickfish. They troll very slow because of the amount of action in them. You can also find mini trolling flashers that could help for trolling other things.

N
ninja2010
i've trolled crankbaits and spinnerbaits from my yak in the salt and they worked great. and i've also trolled swimbaits from a float tube (kicking). the erratic trolling pattern triggers strikes from all kinds of fish.

J
JeannaJigs
There are some lightweight flashers designed for kokes, that work very well from a 'toon for trout, I've got a few in my box, can't remember the names of a single one of 'em but I got them at Bi-Mart

B
BlackTalon
Flashlites?

Flashlites?

I have some really lightweight flashers made of mylar(?) that are called Flash Lites. I think that is what some are referring to.

Evan

C
Combat Chuck
I believe mine is called a Sepp's mini troll, its basically about 4 spinner blades.

J
JeannaJigs
Combat Chuck said:
I believe mine is called a Sepp's mini troll, its basically about 4 spinner blades.
Yeah that's what I've got in my arsenal. Works good.

J
JeannaJigs
BlackTalon said:
I have some really lightweight flashers made of mylar(?) that are called Flash Lites. I think that is what some are referring to.

Evan
Yeahhh I know which ones your talking about, they're all holographic and what not...they are the devil and don't work lol (For me anyways). I've got some lightweight willow leaf style flashers that are awesome though

Irishrover
Irishrover
Timothy is a big place in a pontoon. I can understand why your arms would be tired. You can change up from hardware and troll flies. You don't need a fly rod just tie a fly on to the end of your leader and haul away.

F
fishndad
pink or red wedding ring spinners, topped with worm!

J
joesnuffy
i wouldn't think a spinner would work very well in a pontoon since your not going very fast. might not be enough water pressure to get the thing to spin. Have you tried a small spoon?

J
JeannaJigs
joesnuffy said:
i wouldn't think a spinner would work very well in a pontoon since your not going very fast. might not be enough water pressure to get the thing to spin. Have you tried a small spoon?
You would be amazed, I troll rooster tails all the time, and it works pretty well. Now something that is heavier like say, a panther martin, that naturally drops fast...not so good for trolling, but lighter spinners work amazingly well.

Y
youngbuck307
Irishrover said:
Timothy is a big place in a pontoon. I can understand why your arms would be tired. You can change up from hardware and troll flies. You don't need a fly rod just tie a fly on to the end of your leader and haul away.

done that befor at Timothy with a clear bobber to help see were your fly is back (gets hard when it gets back a ways without it) but i get the ones you can put some water in and evan just toss them from the bank!!! worked great for me when i was younger....