Help with the upper Willamette

S
Slick
I want to learn where and how to fish the upper Willamette. Have boat will travel. Anyone that can go with me and show me the ropes I'd really appreciate it. Catch and release. I have a 16' sled with a 40hp Honda with a prop.

C
catfishman89
Slick said:
I want to learn where and how to fish the upper Willamette. Have boat will travel. Anyone that can go with me and show me the ropes I'd really appreciate it. Catch and release. I have a 16' sled with a 40hp Honda with a prop.

I used to fish a lot around rock island out of west linn. I know the channel and quite a few good spots. First few times up there I had some close calls with submerged reefs.

J
JeannaJigs
Define upper willamette lol. We talking above upriver from Eugene?

L
lilsalmon
Hey there Slick....where ya been and where is your sidekick?

S
Slick
JeannaJigs said:
Define upper willamette lol. We talking above upriver from Eugene?
Somewhere between Salem and Oregon City, I think.

S
Slick
lilsalmon said:
Hey there Slick....where ya been and where is your sidekick?
Hey girl. He hasn't been around much. I think he's got a lot going on right now. He hasn't been around here?

S
Slick
catfishman89 said:
I used to fish a lot around rock island out of west linn. I know the channel and quite a few good spots. First few times up there I had some close calls with submerged reefs.
If you ever want to go let me know. I should have mentioned that I'm looking for smallmouth.

C
catfishman89
Sounds cool. I have saturday and sundays off or if you go during the week I work swing so I can morning fish. I mostly caught smallies up there but once in a while got a largemouth here or there.IMHO I think the stretch from west linn to the yamhill river is the best area. There are tons of submerged rocks and structures.

M
Modest_Man
I've been sampling on the Willamette and we found a lot of smallmouth in the sloughs around Rock Island. Many of the ones near Rock Island had hooking scars, and a couple had hooks in their gut (heavy pressure). The largest so far have been in sloughs further up near the Santiam confluence, though they're not as common.

S
Slick
catfishman89 said:
Sounds cool. I have saturday and sundays off or if you go during the week I work swing so I can morning fish. I mostly caught smallies up there but once in a while got a largemouth here or there.IMHO I think the stretch from west linn to the yamhill river is the best area. There are tons of submerged rocks and structures.
Are we going to wreck my prop?

F
FishNinja
Try around the Newberg area. Awesome fishing! (not just for bass)

C
catfishman89
Slick said:
Are we going to wreck my prop?

Its not that bad. They have a well marked channel because theres a lot of barge traffic through there. I never actually ventured into the rock island sloughs they were way to dangerous looking. Probably lots of bass in there but theres huge reefs then its 40 feet deep very unpredictable. I have been on worse area out in the gorge around celilo. That can get real scary if your not watching. Ive never hit any rocks up there. The rock island channel is cool its like 15 feet then goes all the way to 100 or so. I have a detailed map of the area too.

S
Slick
catfishman89 said:
Its not that bad. They have a well marked channel because theres a lot of barge traffic through there. I never actually ventured into the rock island sloughs they were way to dangerous looking. Probably lots of bass in there but theres huge reefs then its 40 feet deep very unpredictable. I have been on worse area out in the gorge around celilo. That can get real scary if your not watching. Ive never hit any rocks up there. The rock island channel is cool its like 15 feet then goes all the way to 100 or so. I have a detailed map of the area too.
Alright man. I can't go this weekend but maybe next?

C
catfishman89
Im avaible next weekend saturday or sunday.

S
Slick
catfishman89 said:
Im avaible next weekend saturday or sunday.

What are you doing tomorrow? It was too hot today. I know, I'm a wuss.

C
catfishman89
It's too hot for me. I got off the water at 10 am at hagg because it was already to hot on Friday.

S
Slick
catfishman89 said:
It's too hot for me. I got off the water at 10 am at hagg because it was already to hot on Friday.
Let's try it when it cools back down.

J
JeannaJigs
Wieners.