Help with rod and reel.

T
Tater
Hi all, I'm wanting to fish the Colombia for salmon and will be from the bank only. Looking for info on a rod and reel set up for plunking, budget is tight also. Went to Fisherman's and they have so many not sure what to get. I will be getting two set ups for me and the wife...yep...she loves to fish too. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
A
Airs98
Among cheaper options are Daiwa Sealine reel paired with Daiwa Sealine 10 to 12' surf rod. An Ugly Stick rod will also work. The same combo will also be good for keeper sturgeon on Columbia and Willamette, but for steelhead you might want to consider something lighter.

Last edited:
T
Tater
Thanks for the info. Will check them out.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to hear that your Mrs. enjoys our sport too!

You might take a look Okuma rods. I know that their trout and / or Kokanee rods are pretty good and a fair price.

I like Abu Garcia reels. So, you might look at those too.

T
Tater
Thank you, glad to be apart of the forum. I went out yesterday and got two ambassador reels and two 9' rods. Just need to find a place go as me and the wife will need to get use to casting. More so for her.

A
Airs98
Oh, cool! What kind of rod did you get? Also curious about the reels... What is the model?

T
Tater
I will look when I get home tonight and post. The rods are Shimono, I know that much.

T
Tater
The reels ar the Kalex 60 and the rods are the Shimano TDR. Can't wait to go try them out.

A
Airs98
I am not really familiar with that type of rod, but the reel should work well for that type of fishing IMO.