Help with inherited steelhead rod

Fattie
Fattie
hi everyone, first timer here.. thanks for having me.

I inherited my grandfather's rod, and I have some questions about it.. Primarily, i want to know how sturdy of a pole it is. it doesn't have any numbers or weights written on it, just my grandfather's name and the word "steelhead" (in Grandpa's handwriting), with a sticker saying "R.L. Winston rod co. San Francisco Calif." The rod is 9 feet long, but has a huge handle.. the reel sits just over 7.5 feet from the end (not sure if that matters).
Obviously grandpa used it to fish for steelhead.. but i just don't want to land a monster steelhead, or something huge in the surf, and break my grandfather's rod.
Thanks for the help!
Fattie

• IMG_20200522_232835.jpg
  • IMG_20200522_232732.jpg
  • IMG_20200522_232650.jpg
  • Wow
Reactions: Raincatcher
Fattie
Fattie
I should add.. the rods age is unknown.. Might be from the 50s. I googled the company and they've been around since 1929.

Chromatose
Chromatose
I would contact these folks before taking that Winston out on the water to see just what type of blank that is.
Winston Fly Rods |

Did your Grandfather wrap his own rods by chance?

Reactions: Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
CRIKEY!!! R.L. Winston is known far and wide for making truly OUTSTANDING rods!!! You have inherited a fine rod! And I loves me a good fiberglass rod!

As Chromie asked about above...I'm also thinking that your gpa bought the rod blank, and wrapped the line guides himself. Or he got the rod from a local builder who put them onto the blank. And each guide appears to be "double footed", which adds strength to the rod. Which is a very good thing. Plus it's overall length could make it a good candidate for steelhead angling.

All hard to know without seeing the road in person, and checking it out. Is there a good sporting goods shop near you? If so take it and show them the rod; and see what they say.

troutdude
troutdude
Great idea @BrandonBeach; except it's not a fly rod. It's a casting rod.

B
BrandonBeach
I have always associated Winston with fly rods, didn’t occur to Me that they even made casting rods.

Apologies

The glass fly rod form is still a good place to start. There is a lot of info about Winston glass on there. Seems that Winston contracted out a lot of their glass blanks.

BB

Fattie
Fattie
i don't know if he wrapped or not.. unfortunately, we always lived far away and only had brief visits.
Thanks for all the replies and help though!

Reactions: troutdude
Fattie
Fattie
And yeah, I'll take it to a specialty shop i guess, before i start bending it... Probably the safest thing.

troutdude
troutdude
No need to apologize @BrandonBeach. The Fiberglass Flyrodders site, is a great place. And someone there may be able to help.

P.S. I never knew that Winston built any blanks that weren't for fly rods, until now.

Chromatose
Chromatose
troutdude said:
P.S. I never knew that Winston built any blanks that weren't for fly rods, until now.

TD, maybe this rod was built on a fly rod blank?
I have a few I have built. I am curious just what the OP is going to find out.

By the way. That is a very nice table you have there Fattie.

Reactions: Fattie
Casting Call
Casting Call
R.L. Used the very best of hardware. See the anodized reel set. RL is a pre Lamiglass area very, very lightweight. The rootbeer color rod is very sought after. Most were a chicken fat yellow. Most wetre made for Cali coast beach casting. GL let us know what you find. Tony

Fattie
Fattie
Thank you to everyone for the help. I'm disappointed to find out it's a casting rod... But I'm happy to learn more about Grandpa's gear. I'll take it to a shop, but I'm not in a rush since it's not what i want to fish with currently.