Help with bobber stops

F
fishkiller
I'm kind of new to jig fishing and so far I only have one take down. The question I have is normally run a fixed Steelhead Stalker float. I want to go to a sliding bobber, but how do I rig up the bobber stop? And will they work with braided line? Here's my setup I run a 9'6" lamiglas cert. pro with a quantum energy reel with 20lb p-line braided to a barrel swivel then 2-3ft of florocarbon leader. I want to be able to run a sliding bobber to adjust to water depth. Am I on the right track? Thanks for any help you may provide?

A
adambomb
Here's what works the best for me, in order from top to bottom: bobber stop knot, small corkie, 1oz sliding float, 1oz inline weight, then however much leader you choose. The corkie on top of the float is just for assurance that your rig is all the way down. If the corkie isn't sitting right on top, something is wrong. I prefer braid for float fishing because it floats, but mono works also. The trick to securing the bobber stop knot on mono is to pull it tight with two pairs of pliers. Oh, and sometimes a small bead is needed between the knot and corkie depending on knot size and corkie hole size.

T
Troutier Bassier
knot, bead, Bright colorful corkie (to tell which bobber is yours). bobber, Inline weight, leader.

T
thepreditor
I use smaller floats than adambomb but still the same idea. Everybody has there own way to do things not really a right or wrong on the size as long as you have the right weight under the float..

A
adambomb
Water depth and speed determine float and weight size for me. I usually tend to go with the heavier of the two sizes in contention. Mostly because when I am extending a drift by releasing line, the heavier the float the straighter my line stays while extending. Also the extra weight allows me to keep my line off the water most of the time while extending, and mending

T
thepreditor
adambomb said:
Water depth and speed determine float and weight size for me. I usually tend to go with the heavier of the two sizes in contention. Mostly because when I am extending a drift by releasing line, the heavier the float the straighter my line stays while extending. Also the extra weight allows me to keep my line off the water most of the time while extending, and mending

i will have to give it a try. thx

F
fishkiller
Thanks for all the help you guys!! I hopefully get to try out these new techniques next weekend if the rivers aren't blown.:D

R
rickman
Homemade: small rubberbands. Break a piece off and tie on your line with a single overhand knot. Low vis, very small to fit through the line eyes and cheap. They do the job as well as the store bought ones.