Help with a little spoon research

Help with a little spoon research

• Total voters
H

halibuthitman

Im doing a little research and was hoping for some input.. pretty simple please just pick the spoon you have caught the most fish on.. or color if you only use spinners.. thanks! And one more thing mabe you older fishermen who did a lot of fishing in the 60's and 70's.. a lot of guys think the eppinger daredelle doesn't work well anymore... and I agree, but in my earliest memories the red and white spoon was painted on a copper spoon, not the nickle it is today... does that seem true to you?

J

Jacks Tackle

Back in the 60's and 70's copper was a far more common metal used as it is a bit more conductive then brass which led to a better adhesion for old plating techniques.

Now a days copper is more expensive due to its demand so it is rarely used anymore. In fact our copper spoons are to the best of my knowledge the only solid copper spoons available on the market in this style these days and its does cost us quite abit extra for this material.

But to answer the question of most productive for me, I do best on White Silver or Polished Brass

T

Thuggin4Life

Silver spoons are far superior. well at least on my rod. i have a thing against gold. no jewelery, lures, rims, flashers, or just about anything with a gold look i don't like but i did give the gold spoons a chance and they failed. If you want to catch npm's troll the gold. for catching nickel fish use nickel.

Troutski

Troutski

Gold, not gold looking real gold

Gold, not gold looking real gold

Funny how every person has there favorite, I prefer Gold over any color...that being said I still use my brass bodied Daredevels and do very well. A few years back I spent my summer doing the garage sale circut and picked up any old flat ware I could find (Gold and Silver), cut the handle off and used it for a superduper type lure and formed the spoon portion into a resonable shape of a Lil Cleo...they work great, very great...

Chuck

troutdude

troutdude

The "old style" Daredevel was listed recently as a "Top 50 of All Time" lure. I believe that list appeared in Field n' Stream, if my old fart memory still works. LOL

Chuck...could I talk you into posting some pics of your creative efforts?

brandon4455

brandon4455

nickel for me. ive caught almost all of my fish with chrome /orange or chrome/chartruese and a blue and chrome little cleo with the scale pattern on it. jay was a witness of it catching fish until my knot came undone LOL. but...if i recall right my krocodile spoon hooked the biggest fish and it had brass on the underside with the name on it... idk now im confused xD

Last edited:
M

metalmania

Brass works best for me on sunny days, and copper works best on cloudy days. I would say in total i've got more steelhead on copper than anything else.

A

Anyfishisfine

Brass works best for me on sunny days, and copper works best on cloudy days.

Yeah. Having a favorite color is a trap in fishing. You pick the pattern that works for the conditions that day. You don't catch a few fish on cold, winter cloudy days and think you have found the secret lure which will carry you through the summer as well. If there were a 'one color', then that would be all there was.

H

halibuthitman

Yeah. Having a favorite color is a trap in fishing. You pick the pattern that works for the conditions that day. You don't catch a few fish on cold, winter cloudy days and think you have found the secret lure which will carry you through the summer as well. If there were a 'one color', then that would be all there was.
I agree Anyfishisfine, thats why the thread asks which color seems to produce more for an individual, as for the "one" color.. well its black... but don't tell anyone, this is a poll to see what rises to the top... if rules stated " brite when its brite, dark when its dark prove true copper is gonna win this poll, simply becouse there are many more overcast days, and more fishing takes place in the early morning and evenings... Brass should take second as it is truelly brite and silver is a nuetral and should take last place... as it is brite high in the water column and turns black as it achieves depth.. so I hope people don't answer with their favorite by opinion... but simply the facts, which one has caught you more fish...

Troutski

Troutski

Glass lures...

Glass lures...

The "old style" Daredevel was listed recently as a "Top 50 of All Time" lure. I believe that list appeared in Field n' Stream, if my old fart memory still works. LOL

Chuck...could I talk you into posting some pics of your creative efforts?

I believe there was a thread in the resent past that I did post pictures of my creations plus the glass (Dicroic) lures that one of our members makes..funny how I would never thought a glass lure would work-boy was I wrong:rolleyes:. There is even a few pictures of the Salmon we caught...

Chuck

O

OnTheFly

I prolly shouldn't have voted. I have not used a spinner in nearly 15 years but I do recall Mepps and Rooster tails with brass blades produced well back then.

brandon4455

brandon4455

this is funny because black works way more then all 3 XD ive hooked 2 steelhead landed tons of trout , bass ,panfish and my fair share of coho on black rooster tails

Last edited:
H

halibuthitman

Thank you all for your in-put... and here is the results of your combined opinion... and of course my creative license on paint.. I will be testing these in the coming weeks, the most productive ones will go into production shortly after by their repected manufacturer.. not me. I have designed 7 more paint patterns that are being produced this week, then I will test them, and they may also be added to their line. Thanks again for your input- Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FishFinger

I believe there was a thread in the resent past that I did post pictures of my creations plus the glass (Dicroic) lures that one of our members makes..funny how I would never thought a glass lure would work-boy was I wrong:rolleyes:. There is even a few pictures of the Salmon we caught...

Chuck

Very true Chuck, The Glass spoon Dicro made super effective, we couldn't keep the trout off it

M

meluvtrout

Very true Chuck, The Glass spoon Dicro made super effective, we couldn't keep the trout off it

I know I caught one, but did you? Anywho, that spoon looks and wobbles so beautifully that I usually use it as the last resort. Mainly because I don't know where to get another one if I loose it to a native rock! Does Dicro have a shop o should we have another spoon swap?

H

halibuthitman

I would love to see the glass spoon... No one has a picture?

brandon4455

brandon4455

Thank you all for your in-put... and here is the results of your combined opinion... and of course my creative license on paint.. I will be testing these in the coming weeks, the most productive ones will go into production shortly after by their repected manufacturer.. not me. I have designed 7 more paint patterns that are being produced this week, then I will test them, and they may also be added to their line. Thanks again for your input- Brad

thats a very nice assortment of spoons brad, and the green/white/orange/red one looks familiar i believe ive seen it on a certain blog in a steelheads mouth before ;) btw i like the one in the top right corner.

F

FishFinger

I know I caught one, but did you? Anywho, that spoon looks and wobbles so beautifully that I usually use it as the last resort. Mainly because I don't know where to get another one if I loose it to a native rock! Does Dicro have a shop o should we have another spoon swap?

There is no need to lie about it, I used it and I hooked the fishes. I remember you got so excited; which is probably what you remember.

I'll find the Dicro spoon and get a pict of it,

S

SantiamDrifter

Well we fish the Pen Tac and BC steel spoons, both with copper/black/and gold. By far the most fish came on copper. The only time we fish spinners is in low fast ripple water, and its black on black for those. Landed lots with that spinner in low water.

Top Bottom